SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being inspired by other members doing this mod decided to install HID kit from ddm. I had to modify it a little since I was not happy about placing ballast near fog lights being exposed to moisture etc.
I wanted to place them so they dry and have easy access to all of the components should one of them fail.

Enjoy! BTW hardest part of the project was trying to run wires from passenger side fog light since washer fluid reservoir and other components took all of the space above.

I am yet to test them at night but they are very bright.:) Haven't adjusted them, not sure if I have to.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Nice install but not really needed, the new ballast DDM offers are water resistant; they say water proof but I wouldn't test it too far.

Looks good though.

·
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did you use your existing fog light housing and mount the bulb in it? With the obvious power supply upgrades.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Nice install but not really needed, the new ballast DDM offers are water resistant; they say water proof but I wouldn't test it too far.

Looks good though.
Pretty interesting install to put it on the dummy panel. Not sure I like that, I would have done the underside if anything.
Except that those slim ballasts are pretty shoddy, I swapped about 2 sets of them before giving up and getting a full size ballast instead. Doesn't matter if water get to them or not, they just blow after awhile. I got a set of 55W full size ballasts that I installed behind the bumper above the fog light grills, not much water gets there.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Pretty interesting install to put it on the dummy panel. Not sure I like that, I would have done the underside if anything.
Except that those slim ballasts are pretty shoddy, I swapped about 2 sets of them before giving up and getting a full size ballast instead. Doesn't matter if water get to them or not, they just blow after awhile. I got a set of 55W full size ballasts that I installed behind the bumper above the fog light grills, I much water gets there.
I think I like it. Kinda makes it look like they are really important for something. I have had my slim ballasts mounted inside my front bumper for 2 years now, no problem. They get water spraying up on them fairly often and I haven't had one go out. Ballasts seem to be hit and miss I've noticed.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I think I like it. Kinda makes it look like they are really important for something. I have had my slim ballasts mounted inside my front bumper for 2 years now, no problem. They get water spraying up on them fairly often and I haven't had one go out. Ballasts seem to be hit and miss I've noticed.
Agreed. I've had my 35W lowbeams for almost 3 years now with no problems, and my foglights for just over a year with no problems as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dont they get hot? Just wondering if its safe to install them on the plastic like that?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Dont they get hot? Just wondering if its safe to install them on the plastic like that?
I have the same slim ballast and they do get hot but no hotter than our engine's heat soak. IDK what kind of plastic Volvo chose for those covers but it can take some serious temps.

·
Registered
594 Posts
did you have to cut up the fog light housing to get the bulb to fit?

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Agreed. The install is well organised but I would have hidden it away from open view.
I installed my fog light HID kit on to the front fog light brackets themselves - out of the way and out of sight.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I ran some sealant around my ddm ballasts to make sure there are no gaps in the case. No problems so far, and mine are mounted on the bumper.

However, I did 6k fogs and they look SICK with 6k headlights on as well.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
btw, anyone had to adjust the beam after similar instal?
Yes I had to adjust the beam level BUT at the same time I did not check it before the install so it could have been wrong to start.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had the 55w Raptors in my foglight housings. I stuck my ballasts in the bumper, so far about 8 months Ok. I did adjust the beam height.

I also ran a new fused power tap from the power block with a heavy duty relay, triggered from the factory fog light switch. the +12V feed for the OEM fogs was getting really really hot during operation, like burning-insulation hot. The new power feed I put in works much better.

Thanks for sharing, I like your ballast mounting.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
This is still a GREAT post. A couple of questions:

1) how do you adjust the beams post-install?
2) Exactly how much brighter is it, really?

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I installed mine I took a hot glue gun and ran a bead around the seams of the ballasts. After 3 years they are still going strong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Bump

This is still a GREAT post. A couple of questions:

1) how do you adjust the beams post-install?
2) Exactly how much brighter is it, really?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts