SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not uncommon, my driver's side bolster was showing some wear and the color was cracking - not the leather just the color and only on the side bolster.

I contact Kevin at Advanced Leather Solutions (http://www.advleather.com/) who is a seriously good guy. They offer a full kit for re-coloring the entire seat but I only wanted to do the bolster area so the full kit was overkill in my opinion. Kevin suggested I try a small bottle of their Nordkap color pre-mixed so it is a one-step procedure and a foam brush for application.

Here are the before shots - it looked worse in person:

After a very nice and thorough explanation from Kevin, I tried the foam brush method. The results were just "OK". I believe I put on too much paint and the bolster, although the color match was excellent, it just looked "painted" and not like leather.
FOAM BRUSHED:

I called Adv. Leather again (they were very patient), and he suggested I strip off some of the paint with denatured alcohol and repaint using a cheap airbrush kit which they were able to send me.

The results for the airbrush were MUCH better. The "painted" look is gone and the grain of the leather is as original. I even ended up doing the passenger side rear booster seat as it was cracking too.

AIRBRUSHED:

BOOSTER AFTER:

NOTES:
The bolster had lost a lot of it's texture I suppose from wear, and that was never coming back regardless of the coloring system used. Maybe that piece of leather was smoother to begin with? In the first pictures, the only texture at the top was from the peeling paint!

I also used the color to fill a few scratches around the interior. I would dab on a small amount of paint and quickly wipe it off so only the scratch was filled. Worked will.

COLOR MATCH:
Overall the color match for my interior was excellent. In super bright sunlight, you can see a difference mostly in the amount of metallic but otherwise it's spot-on. Of course if I had painted the entire seat this would not be an issue, but for my purposes it turned out to be a great solution.

Thanks again to the Kevin and the guys at Adv. Leather!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
diyvolvos used the full kit to redo his whole seat maybe a year ago, he would be a good one to ask.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wow, the airburshing looks great! My Nordkap's are all cracked as well on the bolster even after it was re-dyed by the stealership under warranty. I am going to keep Adv Lether in my history so I get this done one of these days. Let us know how it holds up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow-up from Kevin at Adv. Leather re: flaking concerns:

I read the thread, including the comment regarding airbrushed color flaking. Flaking is an issue IF you use the wrong coloring system. We've been using air brushes for this type of project for almost a quarter of a century with our coloring system with many thousands of projects under our belt. Our color system doesn't flake off. Sometimes the user claims color flaking when in fact it is their leather that is delaminating. That means the color is sticking to the leather, but the leather itself is coming apart.

Anyway we stand behind our products.

Kevin

Poor or no surface prep may cause problems too.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
From my research it is all about the prep and time you take to do it and do it right. They actual scuff the surface with a fine paper an make sure it is very clean and then dye it. If you look at he leatherique site they have a pretty comprehensive system to re-dye or change the color of leather and if you send as sample will color match the dye for you. I have never tried either but have considered redoing my driver seat at some point as it has the bolster wear as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey jozooka

How much was the repair kit? My seats look in bad shape too! :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Jexx - I've been told that the factory finish on our seats is not a dye but a paint. A dye would soak into and stain the leather, while a paint bonds to the surface. You can tell that our Nordkap is a paint when you see it cracking on the side bolster - it is clearing not soaked into the leather but is top-bonded instead. This is typical according to Kevin at Ad. Leather and he says that it is a huge misconception that leather is dyed. He did note however that the base leather may be dyed before the final color is applied.

@bcheng4jc - You can get a 2oz. bottle of the one-step paint along with instructions for $20. This is what I got along with a cheap airbrush kit that you can find a hobby store for about $35. You can use a foam brush for this instead but I didn't like the results.
The full kit for re-doing entire seats is more involved and includes everything you need and their 2-step paint system (paint and a finishing coat) for about $150 I think.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wow the air brush did a night and day difference compared to the foam brush. Looks great btw!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Followup: Nearly 1 year later the driver's side bolster is showing wear (looking crackly) again. I'm not sure if it's the re-paint that's failing or the original finish coming off, but either way it looks not-so-hot again.
The backseat child booster however has held up really well despite my son's best attempts to destroy it.
The process is really easy, so I may redo the driver bolster, or just get used to it looking worn.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Bummer, it looked great after what you did... I'm convinced that I'll end up ordering a replacement custom kit from George @ VIVA haha. Mine is showing wear mostly around bolster, I'll eventually replace it within a year or so by looks of time deterioration.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know I'm late to the party but I love this write-up, would you still recommend this product? Seems like if it took around a year to show wear it is worth it considering how easy it is. My drivers side seat needs some serious attention.
Any comments on how the application changes the feel of the seat?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm going to be calling AdvLeather real soon. My interior is in mint condition except for that drivers seat bolster from getting in and out. A couple quick questions to those of you who have done this repair... How has it held up over time? Did you brush or spray? Can I get away with just doing the bolster and have it match well?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just ordered the Nordkap kit with airbrush from AdvLeather.com. I must say that Kevin is a pleasure to deal with and extremely knowledgable. I can't wait to get it and fix my seat!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all! The same applies to me, bought their Nordkap and waiting for a little warmer weather in Sweden. So, I will cuddle :O) with my bolsters and get the same fine finish.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'll definitely be doing this over the summer!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts