SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 850 turbo.

does any one know any quick inexpensive ways to get big horse power numbers?

I have owned a lot of turbos just not a Volvo, and so far it seems like I can't get the HP out of this one that I have out of my Shelby Daytona.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just bought a 96 850 turbo.

does any one know any quick inexpensive ways to get big horse power numbers?

I have owned a lot of turbos just not a Volvo, and so far it seems like I can't get the HP out of this one that I have out of my Shelby Daytona.
Not without dropping some money. When I had my 96 I had a 17psi ARD tune in it and didn't go much farther than that.

I had a handful of Mopar turbos when I was younger. Shelby Daytona, Shadow CSX and a New Yorker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not without dropping some money. When I had my 96 I had a 17psi ARD tune in it and didn't go much farther than that.

I had a handful of Mopar turbos when I was younger. Shelby Daytona, Shadow CSX and a New Yorker.
I would love a CSX. what was your HP with 17 psi?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
engine codes?

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-diagnostic-codes-1996-to-1998

as for cheap hp, you can go with an ARD white tune that only upgrades your ecu, no need for upgraded internal parts / turbos. white tune is $195. You can also get a drop in k&n air filter for $50, get 3-6 hp more. also you can get a N/A throttle body, modify the turbo's intake manifold so that the hole is as large as the N/A's hole, good for about another 8-10 hp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So yesterday the new Volvo took it's first long trip. It did just fine all there, about 210 miles. on the way back however, if I stop and just let it idle the temp would come up to where it needs to be to have heat. when I would drive at any speed over 35 mph it would drop to cold.

The only thing I could think of is the thermostat is stuck open, however is there something I'm not thinking about? I check the coolant levels and they are good, and when the temp gauge said it was cool I could put my hand on top of the motor without burning it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
engine codes?

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-diagnostic-codes-1996-to-1998

as for cheap hp, you can go with an ARD white tune that only upgrades your ecu, no need for upgraded internal parts / turbos. white tune is $195. You can also get a drop in k&n air filter for $50, get 3-6 hp more. also you can get a N/A throttle body, modify the turbo's intake manifold so that the hole is as large as the N/A's hole, good for about another 8-10 hp.
I got a code that said " 4th gear Incorrect gear ratio" but it was not "322" it was PO"something" (I lost the paper I wrote it on) what does that mean and how can I fix it?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I got a code that said " 4th gear Incorrect gear ratio" but it was not "322" it was PO"something" (I lost the paper I wrote it on) what does that mean and how can I fix it?
Either your transmission is going or one of the solenoids is sticking in the transmission or shorting out. You can try and do a transmission flush to see if that solves the problem, or your into serious $$$ to change the transmission / valve body. How is the transmission shifting? Specifically 3-4 shift?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
So yesterday the new Volvo took it's first long trip. It did just fine all there, about 210 miles. on the way back however, if I stop and just let it idle the temp would come up to where it needs to be to have heat. when I would drive at any speed over 35 mph it would drop to cold.

The only thing I could think of is the thermostat is stuck open, however is there something I'm not thinking about? I check the coolant levels and they are good, and when the temp gauge said it was cool I could put my hand on top of the motor without burning it.

You need a new thermostat, common

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need a new thermostat, common
Thank you that is what I thought.

Either your transmission is going or one of the solenoids is sticking in the transmission or shorting out. You can try and do a transmission flush to see if that solves the problem, or your into serious $$$ to change the transmission / valve body. How is the transmission shifting? Specifically 3-4 shift?

It shifts good, 80 mph is 2500 rpm maybe a little more so I'm sure it is going into 4th. The light came on the first time I switched it to sport, but not until I reached 120ish mph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts