SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I mentioned in the other thread, the dealer for the one with 40k was 100% firm on pricing - btw same dealer who had the S80 T6 for sale I looked at last weekend. That one also had 100% firm pricing.

The dealer here in NJ was very accomodating, not pushy at all and provided answers to all my questions. Having been in sales for a while some years ago, I appreciate a sales person that works to make a sale and as a buyer, their time and effort in making me happy counts for something too. If you don't even want to talk, well I'm already out the door almost as a matter of principle. I went to the dealership yesterday morning for a look at another two XC90s. The 08 in Titanium and an 09 in Silver. Unfortunately the Silver was only a 5 passenger so that was out. The 08 drove well, but was more "truck-like" than the RD but equally quiet and smooth. It had a slightly fewer miles but was older so I didn't like that too much.

So back to the 09 RD. I asked if I could take the XC home for a little bit and have another look at it with my wife and they said that was no problem and gave me the keys. Coming from a 420 HP Hemi Magnum with ported heads, camshaft upgrade, headers and a tune, this doesn't compare in the power department, obviously. But, leave it in 1 at a light and floor it, and it moves pretty well. The more I drive it, the more I like the car and its engine. It's smooth as silk, very quiet and has plenty of power for a daily commuter. It's not a race car after all. It'll move just fine if you slap it around a little bit and I made sure to do that during the extended test drive.

I went to my house and when my son saw the XC and rode in it, he was sold. "I want the big red car!", he said.:) . It drives like a brand new car, I love the looks of the interior (R gauges are very nice), the seats are excellent, there is a heck of a lot of space and the utility is great. And let's not forget that it's a very good looking vehicle in its own right. For an SUV, it's borderline fantastic looking. The design may have a few years on it, but it looks better than at least 90% of the SUVs on the market today. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Scandinavian/Nordic designs generally have a habit of standing the test of time quite well IMO.

I took the car back to the dealership and went to lunch back home (being four miles away from the dealership was nice now and will be very nice in the future!). After lunch I called them back, we talked numbers and I mentioned the items that need to be brought back to OEM standards before I take delivery (like a dash vent's control being missing, a speaker cover in the back seat and a loose trim piece over the rear cup holders) which they all agreed to. I should take delivery Wednesday, latest Thursday. Hopefully the former as I'm going on vacation next weekend and will need the XC before we leave! :)

OK so onto the details:

2009 Passion Red Volvo XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD.
60k miles. (60k mile service just performed as well)
Climate Package.
Volvo Certified Pre-Owned Warranty until 11/14 or 100k miles.
1 Owner - non-smoker.
Clean carfax.
Bought new at dealership I purchased it from.
Clean carfax

And now a few pics:

Thanks for all the helpful input which was a great resource for me in the hunt for this vehicle. Finding a car that's very safe, very comfortable, very roomy, very good looking, very versatile with a lot of warranty coverage left for a very fair price really makes me happy. More importantly, my wife and son are happy as well so I definitely cannot complain.

-Jacob

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
how much would a new 12 with the same options except the R sticker for, and what are the incentives to move 12s? sometimes with the better financing they offer on new cars, and if you keep it say an extra three years over the used, it may be cheaper in the end to buy a new one and keep it a little longer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not sure on that one. Doesn't matter to me anyway as I'm not financing the car. Someone else taking the $15-$20k depreciation hit is good with me.:)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congratulations on the 'new addition to the family'! :D

Glad I could be of service. :p

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Your XC90 RD looks great...........I believe you will be happy with your decision!!!

·
Administrator
55,892 Posts
Congrats!! Passion Red looks great!!! I agree, the XC90 design still looks good after all these years. Volvo could upgrade the drivetrain and infotainment and call it a 2014. :)

Enjoy the vacation in your new XC.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Not sure on that one. Doesn't matter to me anyway as I'm not financing the car. Someone else taking the $15-$20k depreciation hit is good with me.:)
things that came up with our 06 at 50-80k - as soon as the warranty went - are the control arm bushings, the pitted headlights, a rear wheel bearing and subframe bushings. keep an eye on those while under warranty. the labor for the $100 worth of subframe bushings was $600, labor for $70 of control arm bushings was something like $400. i also replaced front rotors at 70k. see if you can get those thrown in before you pick it up. just run your finger from the inside of the rotor out (with the car standing still of course) and see how much of a lip is on the rotor. looks nice. enjoy it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I can't wait to finally get the keys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what dealership did you get it from?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got it!
Just came back after picking it up at the dealership.

Smythe Volvo in Summit, NJ.

A few phone pics from today:

Very pleased :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Does the r design have a different suspension setup ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple of days ago we came back from our vacation. Total of around 500 miles. The XC was flawless and is a joy to drive for long stretches on the highway. With the third row folded flat, we had one large suitcase and five smaller bags + some beach gear. It was basically one "layer" of stuff. Hardly made a dent in the cargo area. It really is extremely spacious - with the second row down the room is quite huge for a vehicle of this size.

So far we're loving it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Great looking XC you have there! But, I might be a bit biased...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks
Yes you might be but you can't argue that it's a very sharp looking color:)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
interesting to see XC90 in red!!!. looks really good.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Thanks
Yes you might be but you can't argue that it's a very sharp looking color:)
Yep, looks great when we go tailgate for Husker games too!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts