SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sunday i was luck enough to finally get the R to the track. One of the perks to working on a race team is that you get into tracks that not many people can. My track day was at the beautiful Monticello motor club in Monticello ny. I was also lucky enough to be instructed by pro racer Sam Schultz for the day. So just a few thoughts of how the R does at the track. First off, i removed all rear seats, spare tire and any other non essential from the back half of the car. I'm running IPD track spec sways with QBM endlinks in the front and stock links in the rear. TME springs, VST rear chassis brace, QBM strut brace and IPD lower trans mount. Car has around 32k miles and i'm on the stock brembo rotors but am running Hawk HPS pads. Also ran with a tank of about 75% 100 octane race fuel and 25% 93 octane. All laps where run in advance with traction control off. Car feels very neutral in most turns and under most circumstances but did still have a tendency to very slightly understeer unless pushed into a turn. Body roll was non existent and the car was fun to drive at speed and very stable. Brakes on the other hand were just terrible!! I run Motul rbf 600 and had recently flushed the system but i used bottles that were sitting on the shelf so that may have been a problem. I actually lost my brakes completely in my second session out. Pads have never really excited me even since new. Thankfully we selll Endless brake fluid and a full system flush had me back on track and had no fade the rest of the day but my brakes were still lacking so i was not able to push the car. Had lot's of folks comment and compliment me on the car and these are very well off gentlemen who were there running very high end cars. Here are a few pics and i'll upload my track vid later.

da rig

i love this pic!

parked next to a Ferrari challenge car and a Cayman

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Awesome! A very nice track!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun Dan!!

·
6,436 Posts
Damn Dan....I almost didn't recognize you caR with those rims!

Looks like you had fun...what's unacceptable is the lack of track photos! :)
...can you take me one day with you?! Preeettttyyyy puhhllleassseee :)

Oh btw, hope to see you at our NJ meet on Nov 30th!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol Tommy. I was too busy bleeding brakes to take any pics! Should've taken pics of the Ferrari FF or the Mclaren that were there but i see them all the time and am bored of seeing them!! Season is almost over so next year i'll see what i can do ;-)

·
6,436 Posts
Lol Tommy. I was too busy bleeding brakes to take any pics! Should've taken pics of the Ferrari FF or the Mclaren that were there but i see them all the time and am bored of seeing them!! Season is almost over so next year i'll see what i can do ;-)
Do it please!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That is excellent, Dan! Order some TiShims soon.
Wagons rule!

·
Registered
212 Posts
awesome. I want to raod race the R so bad

·
Registered
686 Posts
That's cool Dyson racing is in my neighborhood..

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
So Sunday i was luck enough to finally get the R to the track. One of the perks to working on a race team is that you get into tracks that not many people can. My track day was at the beautiful Monticello motor club in Monticello ny. I was also lucky enough to be instructed by pro racer Sam Schultz for the day. So just a few thoughts of how the R does at the track. First off, i removed all rear seats, spare tire and any other non essential from the back half of the car. I'm running IPD track spec sways with QBM endlinks in the front and stock links in the rear. TME springs, VST rear chassis brace, QBM strut brace and IPD lower trans mount. Car has around 32k miles and i'm on the stock brembo rotors but am running Hawk HPS pads. Also ran with a tank of about 75% 100 octane race fuel and 25% 93 octane. All laps where run in advance with traction control off. Car feels very neutral in most turns and under most circumstances but did still have a tendency to very slightly understeer unless pushed into a turn. Body roll was non existent and the car was fun to drive at speed and very stable. Brakes on the other hand were just terrible!! I run Motul rbf 600 and had recently flushed the system but i used bottles that were sitting on the shelf so that may have been a problem. I actually lost my brakes completely in my second session out. Pads have never really excited me even since new. Thankfully we selll Endless brake fluid and a full system flush had me back on track and had no fade the rest of the day but my brakes were still lacking so i was not able to push the car.
What did you expect? Hawk HPS are CRAP. They are worse than OEM for track use.
Stick with OEM or get a proper track pad like Ferodo DS2500.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did you expect? Hawk HPS are CRAP. They are worse than OEM for track use.
Stick with OEM or get a proper track pad like Ferodo DS2500.
Well this i know now! Back in the day things were not so known so i tried it. I'm looking for a street pad that will handle track use without any issues. My company sells Pagid pads and i really want to try them but don't want to spend $500 on pads!

·
Registered
326 Posts
is it just me, or does that blue tape actually make the car look kinda cool?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Well this i know now! Back in the day things were not so known so i tried it. I'm looking for a street pad that will handle track use without any issues. My company sells Pagid pads and i really want to try them but don't want to spend $500 on pads!
I actually run Ferodo DS2500 year round, even in -30F winters in MN they still have plenty of bite.

Also before you balk at the cost (get them from Zeckhausen) remember that they will last a LOT LONGER on track so really the cost isn't so bad.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is it just me, or does that blue tape actually make the car look kinda cool?
Ha! Yeah i really like the blue on the headlights for some reason. it looks so mean!! Thanks Warpedcow for the info i'll look into them

·
Registered
753 Posts
I love my Project Mu Club Racer on the track.
Motul 5.1/ Takaspeed SS brake line/ Powerslot slotted rotors and zero brake fade in the entire day.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Dan - I love the pics! Especially of the wagon in the trailer :)
Try the Porterfield R4-S pads, these are excellent pads for performance street and occasional track duties:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/porterfield-r4-s-front-brake-pads-s60r-v70r-ap1001/

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts