SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an M3 owner made me extremely paranoid about any noises I hear coming from my car. My new R just had the timing belt done and now has an odd noise coming from the belt area. Could it be a bearing one of the pullies?

Here's a pic of my new R's gauges as a slight intro, I will post better shots once I get it home, clean up the droopy lip, etc.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
An issue? Now you're a true R owner!

Have you taken the cover off to inspect? It is very simple. There are 2 screws (I think they are T27 torx) and 2 clips holding down the cover over the timing belt.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks fine when I inspected it. It hardly makes the noise at all when you first start it up. That movie was taken after about a 20 min drive.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
you have a new tight belt putting tension on worn pullies...this is what you get. Either that or your car is trying to play the intro to Lounge Fly by STP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like a timing belt tensioner pulley. If they just changed the belt, they likely cleaned the area, and the cleaner took the last bit of lube out from the bearing. I'd look there first. I bet it goues away as soon as you accelerate and put tension on the belt...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah that's what mine sounded like when a tensioner pulley was about to go. I wouldn't drive it very far, if it does go you may need a new engine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Did you replace idler pulley and t-belt tensioner?
Those are the parts that fail first, not the belt.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first of many!

Citi cards as low APR cards right now LOL
Yeah, I'm coming from an E46 M3, so the costs aren't really that shocking to me.

Sounds like a timing belt tensioner pulley. If they just changed the belt, they likely cleaned the area, and the cleaner took the last bit of lube out from the bearing. I'd look there first. I bet it goues away as soon as you accelerate and put tension on the belt...
Yep, that sounds about right.

Yeah that's what mine sounded like when a tensioner pulley was about to go. I wouldn't drive it very far, if it does go you may need a new engine.
How long would you say it has? Should I try to get it done this week or should it be good to take 60 miles to Baltimore this weekend? The shop I usually use for Volvo T-Belt stuff is about 60 miles in the other direction, so we're talking about 180 miles, give or take. Sound hasn't gotten worse, if anything a bit better. I've never heard of needing to replace the tensioners with the T-Belt on any other car. In fact, I don't think it was done with our '03 V70 when the T-Belt service was done. Couple that with the fact that this T-Belt was done 15K miles before it was due, and I wouldn't have expected it to need to be changed.

I'm assuming they need to basically do the same service as the T-Belt to replace those, right?

Did you replace idler pulley and t-belt tensioner?
Those are the parts that fail first, not the belt.
Never heard of this before. It is the belt that develops cracks and fails on most other cars.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine isnt off track yet, luckily. Anyone know a good and reasonable Central PA Volvo shop?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question: How hard is the replacement? I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again, how hard is it to do? I think I'd need a few extra tools. I watched an FCP Euro video on doing it, but it didn't look terribly hard, or even as meticulous as I thought it would be. Can it be done by one person or would I need a second?

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yeah, the PO did not get all that done...
well hate to say we told ya so! should have had the cheapskate deduct the belt change price from the sale.

don't care for that video...he's not using a locking tool. If you use a locking tool you are not going to be checking checking and rechecking. I'll stick by my belief it is better just to pay the $600 and let the experts at the dealership do this. That way they f up the job they get to give you a new engine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the video and the thread I found. Anyone in the Carlisle area that would want to help me do this for the first time or just supervise to make sure I don't f it up? You can drink my beer.

How much is this Volvo tool for locking it in place?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well hate to say we told ya so! should have had the cheapskate deduct the belt change price from the sale.
Yeah, in retrospect, a $300 mistake. Sucks, but no sense crying over it now. I really didn't want to have to deal with it seeing as I have 2 toddlers, but I'm stuck dealing with it anyway.

Lesson learned. Well, to be honest, I've learned this lesson before, I just continue to try to have faith in people.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts