SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a Volvo V50 2.0D 2005 model

Have just signed up and here goes my first post:)

For the last couple of weeks the car has lost power, it's not the limp mode but for example when starting off in low gears all seems ok, when picking up speed and changing to higher gears 4th the car seems to loose the revs and struggles to go above 3000rpm, when going up slight hill the car drops speed very quickly and have to drop to a lower gear to retain speed. It's like the turbo doesnt kick in. Once over the hill and back on a flat part of road the car finds it's boost and takes off like it used too.

In low gears revving high I can just about hear the turbo, but not like it use to sound

Not sure if this is linked in anyway but since this the engine sounds louder/rough as if there is a hose split/off. Have checked all hoses visible and have checked small black vacume pipes which go to the solenoid, one of them is very gunked up.....could this be the prob with lack of boost.

Have connected my android phone to OBD2 and this is what i get:

C302 -
P0047 TURBO/SUPER CHARGER BOOST CONTROL SOLENOID CIRCUIT LOW
P2263 TURBO/SUPER CHARGER BOOST SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Please can anyone help

Regards
Laurie

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Sounds like the TCV (turbo coontrol valve) also known as the solenoid has gone bad. I experienced the same issue with mine, though I'm not a diesel.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm having the same problem, the TCV is in the mail. I can't help but wonder if the compressor bypass valve may be the problem, does anyone know the symptoms of a bad CBV?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for your input, would i have to change both as tere is 1 on side of engine and 1 down below the fuel filter engine front.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
yup pretty sure its the TCV. or one of them. mine went both out within three weeks. so you'll be looking at roughly 50 euros a piece (don't know the exact price in $).

and welcome to swedespeed!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm having the same problem, the TCV is in the mail. I can't help but wonder if the compressor bypass valve may be the problem, does anyone know the symptoms of a bad CBV?
They can break a couple ways. I have heard of them not holding boost at all because the spring alone is not enough pressure. Some need the boost pressure through the vacuum line to stay closed. This usually happens when the vacuum line fails, the nipple on the CBV breaks or the housing itself fractures.

The other way is that they never open (frozen or jammed). Then you get compressor surge (I believe it is called) and that sounds like a fluttering sound coming from the intake.

Diesels have 2 TCVs? Why's that?
2? Wut? Diesel owner chime in per chance?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input..
I have a silly thought , please do not laugh as I'm not very mechanically minded but.....If i get full normal boost on flat and downhill roads then i would presume that the TCV's are working as I can feel the boost, so going up hill why do I loose all boost. My silly theory is, maybe there is more air coming into engine on flat and downhill driving which is assisting the boost to open up where as going up hill very little air!!!

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input..
I have a silly thought , please do not laugh as I'm not very mechanically minded but.....If i get full normal boost on flat and downhill roads then i would presume that the TCV's are working as I can feel the boost, so going up hill why do I loose all boost. My silly theory is, maybe there is more air coming into engine on flat and downhill driving which is assisting the boost to open up where as going up hill very little air!!!

Cheers :)
Maybe it's because the engine is under more load when going up hill, therefore you feel the boost lost more.
I'd go to a shop with a smoke leak detection unit and check all the vacuum hoses and vacuum lines.
Even a tiny little hole in the line under boost will become a big one, and it's none detectable by just human eyes inspecting the lines.

ps. IIRC, There should only be one TCV on the Diesel engines, the other one is most likely the Turbo Pressure sensor...

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts