SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the new XC90 so many times but I have never been able to sit in it and really touch, see all the details close. Today I finally got the chance!

Just siting in the drivers seat is really amazing, the way everything is centered around you, the steering wheels position, the seat (to die for).

Here's some pictures

A short video of the Bowers & Wilkins sound system:
https://vimeo.com/119629090

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
Great pics, thanks as always for sharing Khaled.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks! The one thing that surprises me is why with such a beautiful, simple interior did they print two "Cleanzone" labels on the air vents. That seems really out of character with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Awesome, thanks so much

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The one thing that surprises me is why with such a beautiful, simple interior did they print two "Cleanzone" labels on the air vents. That seems really out of character with the rest of the car.
I know, not the best placement but believe me when your in there, you don't even notice it because of the screen...it just takes over! It's really amazing and intuitive

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you get a chance to test out the browser? I'm surprised no one has thoroughly tested it out yet. That's one of the few things no one else really has, aside from Tesla.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you get a chance to test out the browser? I'm surprised no one has thoroughly tested it out yet. That's one of the few things no one else really has, aside from Tesla.
That's an annoying thing about my new Xc60......3G, is soooo slow. Hope the new xc90 is faster

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's an annoying thing about my new Xc60......3G, is soooo slow. Hope the new xc90 is faster
Unfortunately the XC90 doesn't come with a 4G connection. Maybe on next year's model.

On the plus side you can always tether your smartphone or connect a hotspot, thus bypassing the slow cellular. At the very least the internal processor should be very quick, so the bottleneck is just the network speed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unfortunately the XC90 doesn't come with a 4G connection. Maybe on next year's model.

On the plus side you can always tether your smartphone or connect a hotspot, thus bypassing the slow cellular. At the very least the internal processor should be very quick, so the bottleneck is just the network speed.
I'll tell you the Apps are painfully slow on my very new xc60.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I did not unfortunately...I was mostly interested in the sound system and the overall operation of the UI.

·
Registered
252 Posts
No Spotify on my 15.5 Sensus. You hear it was coming?

·
Registered
295 Posts
No Spotify on my 15.5 Sensus. You hear it was coming?
Could've sworn one of the mods/insiders here noted it was being developed. It's not too big of a deal I guess due to CarPlay and Android Auto having it supported already, but it would be nice to have a native UI as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought I read somewhere we would have it too, but honestly my IPhone streMs it much quicker and better than any App would. The Pandora App is slow as molasses to hook up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
A little about the XC90 external communication.

The car has its own GSM-connection for the in-car services like Volvo-on-call and the remote monitor/control via your smartphone app. No idea what technology it use, the SIM-card is build-in in a control unit in the vehicle. It works always, even abroad, as long as it is in range of a GSM network. It’s designed for small portion of data only.
Payment of these services and the use of the SIM, at least in Europe, is done in bi-yearly fee’s.

Secondly the car has a build-in hot-spot. You can put in your own (data) SIM-card and will use the network you like, at your own costs. As describes before it’s support 3G max. The function is normally only interesting for those family members (e.g. kids) not having a data-permission on their mobile SIM. In Europe this can be handy to put in a local data-SIM when you’re driving abroad to avoid high roaming costs.
The only true benefit of this hot-spot is that it’s using the external antenna which give you better reception in some areas with limited GSM coverage.

Spotify is only available via Apple CarPlay or the Android equivalent.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Secondly the car has a build-in hot-spot. You can put in your own (data) SIM-card and will use the network you like, at your own costs.
As Verizon uses CDMA and LTE, I'm presuming inserting their SIM card won't work at all, right?

Do you know if tethering via USB is supported? I know WiFi already is, but a direct connection is always better.

Was this intentional on Volvo's part?

I hope CarPlay is supported out the gate, given the car is already delayed a couple weeks/months.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, so does 15.5 with Sensus. It uses 3G and it pretty much sucks
A little about the XC90 external communication.

The car has its own GSM-connection for the in-car services like Volvo-on-call and the remote monitor/control via your smartphone app. No idea what technology it use, the SIM-card is build-in in a control unit in the vehicle. It works always, even abroad, as long as it is in range of a GSM network. It’s designed for small portion of data only.
Payment of these services and the use of the SIM, at least in Europe, is done in bi-yearly fee’s.

Secondly the car has a build-in hot-spot. You can put in your own (data) SIM-card and will use the network you like, at your own costs. As describes before it’s support 3G max. The function is normally only interesting for those family members (e.g. kids) not having a data-permission on their mobile SIM. In Europe this can be handy to put in a local data-SIM when you’re driving abroad to avoid high roaming costs.
The only true benefit of this hot-spot is that it’s using the external antenna which give you better reception in some areas with limited GSM coverage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Only ATT

·
Registered
496 Posts
As Verizon uses CDMA and LTE, I'm presuming inserting their SIM card won't work at all, right?

Do you know if tethering via USB is supported? I know WiFi already is, but a direct connection is always better.

Was this intentional on Volvo's part?

I hope CarPlay is supported out the gate, given the car is already delayed a couple weeks/months.
I'm aware of Verizon but please note I've only a copy of the (German) User Manual, so my knowledge is limited to Europe.

About the connection is written: "The Internet connection of the vehicle is made with a Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or USB cable connected phone or via the integrated Vehicle modem." About possible apps is written "Some basic apps are basically pre-installed. More Apps are available for download. Which Apps for Downloads are Available, is different, it can, for example, be Internet radio and music services."

1 - 20 of 151 Posts