SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many Volvos over the years, I currently own a 09 V8 XC90 and a 07 V70NA that I use as a company car.

I have owned 2 R's in the past, a Titanium S60R, and a Black Sapphire V70R. Both were nice but they were pre-facelift cars. I got them both in a bad state of repair, fixed them up, and then sold them off to local guys, still see them running around. My dream car was a 05-07 V70R in Electric Silver or Passion Red with an M66, naturally with manual prices lately I wasn't about to spend above 10k on a car that I know would require at least another 3k in parts to get it up to spec. My plan was to get a cheaper Auto and just do a manual swap down the road.

So back in June of 2020, my brother sent me a text about a V70R on Facebook that was local to him, we didn't think much of it as usually when they are cheap they are just clapped out and ready for the scrapyard.

The body and everything was in great shape, the interior was extremely dusty and full of dog hair and dog claw scratches. The timing belt was original and was ready to snap at any moment. But they quickly accepted our offer and the R was coming home.

Right after he picked her up.

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
Nice! With some love you should be able to bring that back! What’s the piece on the seat by the owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's the shift lock solenoid, I think someone spilled coke into the shifter and fried the driver circuits so that was their fix.

Nice! With some love you should be able to bring that back! What’s the piece on the seat by the owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picture from when she was being picked up to bring it down to Jacksonville.

First order of business was to fix one oil leak it had and to change the timing belt.

Someone had done the last few oil changes and didn't put in a new cap o-ring, it was completely square when I pulled it out.

Found some cool stuff in the spare tire compartment

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2nd thing on the list was fixing the droopy front lip, painting the mini intercooler, swapping the R wheel for an 07 T5 wheel which IMO these cars should have come with from the start and swapping out the faulty SAS module.

Before

After

T5 Wheel

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this car had the typical 06-07 problem where have shift flares and other weird stuff once it was hot. It's not bad enough that it couldn't be driven but you could never do any WOT pulls as it would bang through gears 2-3-4.

Last weekend was 50% at the junkyard and they just happened to place an 09 XC90 which uses the same TF-80SC. Of course, no way to test the unit so a bit of a risk. But $50 later I had a valve body with a 1-year warranty.

Installed the new valve body last night, so far already feels tighter on low-speed shifts, before it would bump around. I finished late so didn't have a chance to get it all the way up to temps, going to get it properly warmed up this weekend and see how it goes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took her out today, shifts are crisp and correct, no flaring or banging when heated up!

So happy, now I can move on to other stuff like a DO88 and a new bumper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Last weekend was 50% at the junkyard and they just happened to place an 09 XC90 which uses the same TF-80SC. Of course, no way to test the unit so a bit of a risk. But $50 later I had a valve body with a 1-year warranty.
Wow that's something i'll keep in mind! Where i live it's a 2000$ bill to have the local dealership put a new one in!! So even if it's time consuming and there's a risk of it not fixing the problem, i think it's well worth it.

·
Registered
2006 S60R. gt, nordikap
21 Posts
Please do not call any car elanor. The woman who lost her husband in the original gone in sixty seconds. has a patent on that name elanor. a famous YouTuber had his car confiscated.after putting a ton of money and time into this car he called elanor. Happened to be a mustang.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that's something i'll keep in mind! Where i live it's a 2000$ bill to have the local dealership put a new one in!! So even if it's time consuming and there's a risk of it not fixing the problem, i think it's well worth it.
Yeah, now that we are seeing more of the newer generation TF-80SC's come into the yards I think the chances of getting a good one are great.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for the expensive bits!

I still need to get 5 and 8 for the rear, but otherwise, it rides so much better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So she grew a third pedal!

Really glad I pulled the engine when I did, found a leak in the rad. Also did all the usual other stuff, RMS, turbo drain reseal, oil pan o-rings.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just waiting on a few parts that fedex for some reason has stuck between FCP and here, hoping to have the engine back in by this weekend. Then it's off to re-program the CEM and ECU for the manual swap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interior is back together, engine is back in and hooked up. Still waiting on my M66 gear oil fedex is holding hostage in NJ and a replacement clutch line as the original is missing an elbow from when it was pulled from the donor. Going to start reprogramming the CEM and ECU this week.

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
That's a lot of work.
Also - a lot of batteries... with core on those you might get a whole new one! LOL
Nice T5 sport wheel.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol, yeah I think it's time to hit the recycling center :)

Thanks!

That's a lot of work.
Also - a lot of batteries... with core on those you might get a whole new one! LOL
Nice T5 sport wheel.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts