SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note, this won't work if you have a phone with a bulky case. I have a Samsung S7 Edge

You will need to buy two items:
1) Wireless charger that fits in cupholder
2) DC to USB cable (so we can connect the charger to the USB in the arm-rest)

Just place the charger in the armrest and connect it to the USB. Now you have a place to wirelessly charge your phone without any ugly cables in the open. It charges fairly slow, but if you just need a place to store your phone and charge it while driving then this is a good solution. You can keep a fast charge cable around if you need to charge your phone quickly.

Some pics in my car:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PAnIbgWFYtH0RzwVFhgzuESwseTxMkkB/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rXWcb8ZkzR4bf_jDqOyo3Fha9jIqpkCa/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is it wireless if it is plugged in?
All wireless chargers need to be plugged into a power source, including the one you linked. You can still plug the wireless charger I linked into the 12v instead of USB to wirelessly fast charge.

·
Registered
865 Posts
All wireless chargers need to be plugged into a power source, including the one you linked. You can still plug the wireless charger I linked into the 12v instead of USB to wirelessly fast charge.
Oh. I see. I thought you meant it was fast if you plug the phone into the 12v. So the reason it is slow is because the USB port in the center console doesn't put out enough amperage for a fast charge?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh. I see. I thought you meant it was fast if you plug the phone into the 12v. So the reason it is slow is because the USB port in the center console doesn't put out enough amperage for a fast charge?
Yep, that one nearly hits 900 mA. You need a fast charger with 3.5A output to charge that fast. I wired a dual 12V socket under the center console directly to 12V. That way I have fast charging by wire for my phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts