SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not stand the look of the OEM flaps - too bulky. Besides - they touch the paint and leave marks on the car.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own mud flaps. Below is the final product. They screw into existing screw holes. Fronts use a small strip of double sided tape to stay attached to the body. They are slim yet provide great protection.
Matte black means they blend in with the tire and are barely noticeable.

I ran with the fronts for a while and the difference is night and day! Just completed rear set today. I’m very happy with the outcome!

I like DIY stuff. I made a bunch of extras too if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me. Or email at got6speed @ gmail

Logos go on the inside. After a few days of driving they get sandblasted and are no longer visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Looks great. The OEM flap indeed needs some 3M tape to protect the paint covered by the flap. But it is too late now for me. Grits fell inside between flap and bumper cover and ruined the paint there.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The advantage of a pliable flap instead of the rigid ones from Volvo is that they deflect better when going over obstacles. The Volvo ones are more likely to rip away or even break the trim around them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Looks like 1 or more of the sheets have "Rally Armor" mudflap embossing on. Curious as to why you decide to point the embossing to the inner side?

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like 1 or more of the sheets have "Rally Armor" mudflap embossing on. Curious as to why you decide to point the embossing to the inner side?
That's exactly what it is. I bought sheets of their SUBARU stuff and then cut it to my desired size, custom drilled holes and figured out the best orientation.
I kept the logo towards the inside because I prefer a subtle / plain look

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can you make custom ones for my S60 P*? :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
The advantage of a pliable flap instead of the rigid ones from Volvo is that they deflect better when going over obstacles. The Volvo ones are more likely to rip away or even break the trim around them.
3+ years of tough New England driving with the XC90 OEM mud flaps, including through deep snow, etc., and I have had not one issue or concern. They've even held up to me kicking ice and mud chunks directly off the flaps when they probably should have broken.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
3+ years of tough New England driving with the XC90 OEM mud flaps, including through deep snow, etc., and I have had not one issue or concern. They've even held up to me kicking ice and mud chunks directly off the flaps when they probably should have broken.
Don't get me wrong, I think they're great and I even got them for our 2017 - functional for everyday use. They've been great on our V40 and 2010 as well, only they're not ideal for overlanding or off-road use. On our 2010, the front driver's side tore the side molding trim.

I’ve still not replaced it as it’s a pice that runs the length of the rocker panel.

The right side got completely ripped out taking with it the fender liner. They sometimes catch coming out of our driveway when in Pure or Power suspension modes, and certainly when pulling our trailer out of the driveway. I have to remember to raise it to Hybrid mode to avoid dragging the fronts on the driveway. A more pliable flap wouldn't damage the trim or sides, especially since the molding on SPA cars is all painted to match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts