SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the thread below, i looked at one of my invoices for the cost of a radiator replace. So i decided to add up all the costs. Highlites include....

$449.12 right front speaker replace and suspention rattles
$2,950.76 (awd failure) angle gear and transmition replaced
$1,548.01 replace front rotors, calipers, pads due to noise
$336.07 replace emissions pump
$1,091.96 replace ball joint, master cylender, abs module
$2,621.02 replace radiator, turbo control valve, fuel pressure sesnsor, charge air pie

I would say I have a lemmon, but all the "knowN issues with our cars have been taken care of.

Next week I go for the timing belt, and the exhaust gasket between the turbo and downpipe ($400ish)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
A "lemon" is multiple repeat failure of the same component/part.

What noise of the brakes lead to replacing all those components?

·
Registered
105 Posts
$2,621.02 replace radiator, turbo control valve, fuel pressure sesnsor, charge air pie
I smell something fishy here. All of the above ^^ are on the same circuit. All get 5V from the ECU, they tried to eliminate by changing everything, has to be the most expensive way to troubleshoot a problem. (Besides the radiator, that is separate)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A "lemon" is multiple repeat failure of the same component/part.

What noise of the brakes lead to replacing all those components?
Missouri lemon law has 2 main components.

(1) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer, or its agents, and such nonconformity continues to exist; or

(2) The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of the nonconformity by the manufacturer, through its authorized dealer or its agents, for a cumulative total of thirty or more working days, exclusive of down time for routine maintenance as prescribed by the manufacturer, since delivery of the new vehicle to the consumer. The thirty-day period may be extended by a period of time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents.

I have been out of service more than 30 days for sure, and many of the issues outlined above, were multiple visits before the dealer actually fixed them. the last entry ""turbo control valve, fuel pressure sesnsor, charge air pie"" took 5 visits and 16 days last august. I was driving a new s60 the entire time as a loaner, but it was still a PIA. I decided i didn't have the time or patience to pursue a lemmon replacement.

in regards to the braeks. just cruising around 40-55 mph, there was a growl or grinding noise comming from the drivers side wheel. it went away above 55mph, and on left turns. 1st vist, delaer told me it was my tires. new tires (my dime) still noise. dealer them replace rotors, still noise. i had the problem for months and 3 dealer visits before a volvo sr. tech flew in to diagnose it. he right away told them to replace all the break parts on the front end. problem solved.

So yes, my car prolly was a "lemon".

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I smell something fishy here. All of the above ^^ are on the same circuit. All get 5V from the ECU, they tried to eliminate by changing everything, has to be the most expensive way to troubleshoot a problem. (Besides the radiator, that is separate)
You can find it in the search...the above is just a paraphrase of stuff they found in 1 3 week period. Car was always going into limp mode. They replaced all the items in the chain turbo control valve, fuel pressure sesnsor, and had like 10 hours of diagnose time, turned out to be a hole in the charge air pipe behind the motor and turbo. the computer kept throwing fule air meter errors because the hole made the intake charge not match the meter at the other end. Not untill the started to actually take the turbo off the car did the tech actually take off the charge air pipe and fine the hole in it.

Basically, the tech like a dumb robot, kept replaceing parts because what the computer was aying, and didnt do any hands on trouble shooting on his own.

It was a real cluster F#^k.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
That hardly makes the car a lemon. It means you need to find a better mechanic, warranty or not. A $50 smoke test would have prevented at least half of that $2621 bill from accumulating. And any good mechanic says "MAF problems? First thing is to check for intake leaks".

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
In the thread below, i looked at one of my invoices for the cost of a radiator replace. So i decided to add up all the costs. Highlites include....

$449.12 right front speaker replace and suspention rattles
$2,950.76 (awd failure) angle gear and transmition replaced
$1,548.01 replace front rotors, calipers, pads due to noise
$336.07 replace emissions pump
$1,091.96 replace ball joint, master cylender, abs module

I would say I have a lemmon, but all the "knowN issues with our cars have been taken care of.

Next week I go for the timing belt, and the exhaust gasket between the turbo and downpipe ($400ish)
Hahaha!!! DON'T buy a Jaguar or an Audi!! You'll pull your hair out!

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
And the slave cylinder hasn't failed yet?
When it does, than you will be over $10K in repairs. Don't let them make it a "driver abuse" issue.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the slave cylinder hasn't failed yet?
When it does, than you will be over $10K in repairs. Don't let them make it a "driver abuse" issue.
No it has. It was done as part or the ABS master cylinder repairs. Like I said...the list i gave is cliffs notes.

It was not drivers abuse, but they are glad I am over 100k for sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
[I would say I have a lemmon, but all the "knowN issues with our cars have been taken care of.

Um. All of the known issues have not been addressed. Many have had ballast failures; parking brake explosions, stering rack issues and DEM failures just to name a few. And, no, scrupulous maintenance does NOT guarantee you will not have these issues.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
so the moral of this story is you got your money's worth out of the warranty. I can say if I had bought a warranty for mine when eligible I would still not have used it even once. That would have been a hard $3k pill to swallow.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My CPO receipts don't show costs, just the part numbers. All the part numbers add up to about $6,500 retail, so that does not include the labor. Granted, they made a mistake when doing the valvebody and had to take the car back twice, but anyways this was within a year of buying it, and the car had under 50K. Been fine ever since, now have 75K.

Funny thing was, ALL of it was stuff that should have been found & fixed during the 'CPO 150 pt inspection' or whatever they claim they do...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hahaha!!! DON'T buy a Jaguar or an Audi!! You'll pull your hair out!
...says the lemming.

Audi has really upped their game in the quality department. I have 3 Audis in my driveway, and I have all of my hair. If anything, it's the BMWs that will cause me to pull my hair out these days.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Geeeeeeez.. I can only imagine which dealership this is.. They told me once the tranny in my 940 was toast, soooooo that's when I started taking my car to Ecotech in Webster.. Turned out, it was a $50 kickdown cable. 100,xxx miles later tranny smooth as glass! I now avoid *certain* stealership shops in STL.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
...says the lemming.

Audi has really upped their game in the quality department. I have 3 Audis in my driveway, and I have all of my hair. If anything, it's the BMWs that will cause me to pull my hair out these days.
Ha! Maybe I should change that to Jaguar or BMW. It used to be Audis were as bad as BMWs. Good to know that's changed. I like Audi. And will probably own one in the future.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Audis, like any other car, have a list of known common problems and fixes thanks to the Internet. The bigest problem with early 00s Audis is almost every procedure starts with "remove engine from bay" as so few in situ repairs can be done. I'd still own any quattro GmbH product though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...says the lemming.

I had a 2000 Audi A6 2.7t (6speed) for 7 years and 100,xxx miles. It had some minor issues, no where near what the Volvo had. But, at 100k, the Audi had a higher potential cost to keep beyond 100k miles than what i think the Volvo will have.

Just normal wear and tear maintenance on the Audi was higher cost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a 2000 Audi A6 2.7t (6speed) for 7 years and 100,xxx miles. It had some minor issues, no where near what the Volvo had. But, at 100k, the Audi had a higher potential cost to keep beyond 100k miles than what i think the Volvo will have.

Just normal wear and tear maintenance on the Audi was higher cost.
The Audi 2.7t runs nicely when it's in good shape, but is an absolute nightmare after 100k. I helped a buddy tear his A6 2.7t down to rebuild the turbos and reseal everything. Never before have I seen a car where engineers made so many awful decisions for repairability. Even with the engine out, things related to the turbos and are very difficult. Audi got so cheap that instead of having a different head on each side, they used the same head with camshaft holes at both ends and simply plug appropriate holes with seals that then develop leaks. Every task on that car is difficult because of that bad decision, and based on the ridiculous plumbing and seals, it must have even been a huge pain to assemble in the factory. If I were a mechanic, my quotes for labor on an Audi would be 4x my quotes on most other cars (I say this as a guy with a history working on my own BMW, Volvo and GM vehicles).

Hopefully Audi design for longevity and repairability has improved since the 2.7t. If not, run screaming after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
2.7s were horrible motors, the early 4.2s were also troublesome (carbon buildup) Also, the early DSGs were known to grenade which is why VAG extended the warranty on them 10 years, but those warranties are starting to expire so we'll see how that goes past 2013.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts