SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently got around to installing a computer in my R after looking at some of the successful installs like stagg and juve. I finished the most difficult part of the work today by mounting the screen.

I'll add more pictures later. I am using Centrafuse with a 9.2" touchscreen, Athlon X2 4850e, with the onboard graphics of a 760G chipset, and the onboard audio (going to my HU-850 thanks to the new MII Lite). Other standard goodies like bluetooth and a GPS receiver (using iGuidance 4.0).

Just excited to get over the hump of installing the huge screen, and am happy with the result, so I thought I would share. You can't see the 4C buttons behind the screen, but they are easy to reach up behind to adjust the settings.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Looks great!

The sound from the aux-input is a lot better, isn't it? I was tempted to do something similar, but my iPod is just too convenient for me to want a computer. Plus I also don't know where I would mount the screen. Where I live, it would have to detach or hide itself in one way or another to prevent theft.

What program do you have running in that pic? Looks fantastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I am very pleased with the capability of the MII. I think the sound out of the PC is actually better than the CD player in the HU, if that is even possible.

My wife has concerns about theft, but between my dark window tint, and not being able to really tell what the screen is from the front, I'm not too worried.

The pic is of the main screen of the Centrafuse frontend using a skin someone made called "Moonlight". I just removed their center logo and put in the Volvo iron mark with a transparent background.

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Whoa! That's a huge screen...does it fold down too?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only in the fact that it is mounted from the center speaker grille, and can fold down and rest on the dash under the arm of the mount... I really expect to just keep it in this position indefinitely.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: (rwemyss)

Quote, originally posted by rwemyss »
Only in the fact that it is mounted from the center speaker grille, and can fold down and rest on the dash under the arm of the mount... I really expect to just keep it in this position indefinitely.

It says "steal me". In my car I would prefer a better folding mechanism. But the install looks really good!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya... but not any more than the existing HU. In fact, the HU-850 in the car is far more valuable (at ~$1,100 brand new) compared to my $170 touchscreen.

Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I'm thinking right now.

Thanks for the compliment though! I am almost done, just having trouble getting my bluetooth straightened out.

·
Registered
905 Posts

install looks very nice! good job http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I would have preferred a screen that folded down/or tucked in somehow to remain "stealth" while not using the car.

also - i would LOOOVE to see a thief try and steal one of these radios... it's bolted down to metal brackets, i don't even think it would be worth it to try

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: My carputer install (rwemyss)

Cool! I'd like to know how practical it is during everyday use. How long is the boot time for the computer? I considered installing a carputer but I really like just turning the ignition on and having ipod kick in right were it left off without any delay or input from me. Can a carputer be configured to do that?

'm

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It takes about 30-40 seconds from ignition on to music playing. Not as much of a pain as I expected, but still enough to annoy.

If I were using a decent SSD as the boot drive I could half that time, making it barely noticeable.

Beyond that, the power supply is configured to put the computer in standby for two hours after the ignition is off. This means that if I get back in and start up within 2 hours (say having made a trip to the store) the computer is back on within 5 seconds.

As far as practicality - it is fantastic! I have had issues getting my phone to connect properly for 3G DUN via bluetooth so that I can surf the web, and get weather and traffic info, but otherwise the GPS works flawlessly, and the multimedia system is done really well. Obviously I'm not constantly watching videos on the thing, but it is very simple to scroll through my media library and add a new playlist.

Ian- I agree, I wanted to come up with a way to fold it down and/or hide it, but that just wasn't practical. It may be something I revisit in the future, but I am very happy with the hard mount for now.

·
Registered
46 Posts

40 seconds isn't terrible....but I'm horribly impatient so it's probably not for me.

More and more it's looking like an iphone integrated into the car with an IMiV is the way to go. It will be able to do just about everything a carputer does sans the slow boot times. Music, internet, video, GPS, and of course cell phone service and in most cases would be cheaper then a carputer. I may go that route....

'm

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (meshugy)

Quote, originally posted by meshugy »
40 seconds isn't terrible....but I'm horribly impatient so it's probably not for me.

More and more it's looking like an iphone integrated into the car with an IMiV is the way to go. It will be able to do just about everything a carputer does sans the slow boot times. Music, internet, video, GPS, and of course cell phone service and in most cases would be cheaper then a carputer. I may go that route....

'm
It will certainly be cheaper. I still had to get a MII from Sensolutions to get the audio into my HU. I thought it was a tad expensive, but I am happy with the result of the sound in the end. Some people have attempted to use the carPC as a replacement for the HU by wiring directly into the amp from their audio card... evidently they have had problems with noise though.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rwemyss »

Some people have attempted to use the carPC as a replacement for the HU by wiring directly into the amp from their audio card... evidently they have had problems with noise though.

Yeah, an aux-input module is the better way to go in this case, no questions asked. Especially when wiring directly into the amp will cause one to lose Dolby Pro Logic surround. Plus the sound of the aux-in is exceptional.

Also, isn't the iMIV adapter for an iPhone a great deal more expensive? And iPhones themselves aren't particularly cheap either
However, they would be a fairly easy alternate to a 'carputer' by way of installation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.