SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car was in an accident....And was at body shop for repair. Let me start off by saying the body work is FINE. Bumper Cover, Repainted Molding, are all spot on....

The problem? Well my Seat Belt Assembly + Whips was sent to the dealer.. And I must have gotten a flunky tech...

A. I get out to my car and Auto Start / Stop Service Required...Body Shop calls Dealer.. Instructed to disconnect battery... Well no need. The negative Terminal was NEVER hooked back up! Body Shop guy plugs it in. I restart car, error goes away....Strike 1....

B. Well I looked over body work closely....Apparently didn't catch the Dealership Crap...I get home the weather stripping is all loose. So in fixing that issue, I noticed carpet is askew around B-Pillar. Like a decent gap...Odd... So I look at the SILL MOLD and B-Pillar.. Well the Sill Mould is loose....Take it off... Well the Tech busted the clips.... OK....See Picture....BUT IT'S WHY HE BUSTED THE CLIPS THAT MAKES ME MAD....

C. The B-Pillar is literally jammed on incorrectly and clips are not in place...so the Sill Mould was JAMMED on with equal carelessness as the B-Pillar since it wouldn't fit.

I'm going to call bodyshop in the morning...As they sent it over to their Volvo Affiliated Dealer (Certified Body Shop).... Suffice to say I am not driving another 150 mile round trip for this dealer to correct their problems.... And why would i? Seems the 2 weeks my car was being repaired, things could have been done correctly. There was no timeline or deadline, as I had an insurance paid rental.

So this workmanship is inexcusable... Seeing how rushed / careless / or an inexperienced tech did A-B-C, I am going to have all the Original Dealer Work worked checked over by the local Volvo Dealer. And of course corrected after speaking with dealership who initiated original repairs. There's no way in HELL I feel comfortable with Original Dealer's work on my safety systems (WHIPS, Seat Belts, etc) with what's been done Either that dealer will pay for corrections or I'll do a charge back on my credit card.

So we shall see....

20190621_204346.jpg

20190621_204238.jpg

Inspection.Carpet-Driver.B-Pillar.jpg

Carpet-Passenger.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident and hope you have a speedy recovery healthwise. Although I’m not going to speak on the shoddiness of the flunky tech’s work, it sounds like all the evidence of the hastiness of his work will clearly work out in your favor. I’m hardly the type to complain but to me I enjoy the various customer service experiences over the years with my cars.

Once I was a victim of over filling my 1999 Camry LE’s engine with oil in one of those “ Quick Lube “ places.

My BRAND NEW 2001 Passat was delivered to me with a huge scratch on the bumper and signs that looked like a tech slept or napped in the backseat of my NEW CAR I fumed at the salesman

Another time at a local service station my car was driven for about 50 miles...obviously used by someone running an errand. The things I can list are far too many.

In your case though it’s an open and shut case...you’ll win...you’re in a position to now ask them for favors such as getting 5 free car wash coupons or something...just don’t get them at the same facility assuming the tech you complain about can get revengeful.

Bottom line is it’s a waste of your time now. Take care

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear of your accident and hope you have a speedy recovery healthwise. Although I’m not going to speak on the shoddiness of the flunky tech’s work, it sounds like all the evidence of the hastiness of his work will clearly work out in your favor. I’m hardly the type to complain but to me I enjoy the various customer service experiences over the years with my cars.

Once I was a victim of over filling my 1999 Camry LE’s engine with oil in one of those “ Quick Lube “ places.

My BRAND NEW 2001 Passat was delivered to me with a huge scratch on the bumper and signs that looked like a tech slept or napped in the backseat of my NEW CAR I fumed at the salesman

Another time at a local service station my car was driven for about 50 miles...obviously used by someone running an errand. The things I can list are far too many.

In your case though it’s an open and shut case...you’ll win...you’re in a position to now ask them for favors such as getting 5 free car wash coupons or something...just don’t get them at the same facility assuming the tech you complain about can get revengeful.

My main concern isn't even the improper installation of the B-Pillar Trimming or the Broken Sill Mould. The fact the tech left battery disconnected (throwing a code), and hastily installed and broke the aforementioned items, gives me pause as to whether he/she knew how to install my belts correctly.

Thus, I don't trust this guys work due to the overall level of carelessness. Which means I'll need to have everything looked over by someone else. There's no way in hell I want to find out the hard way he screwed up installing seat belts, checking the WHIPS, etc.

Your Cars:

So what you'd you do about the Corolla Overfill (guess had extra oil drained?) and scratch on bumper of Passat?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Never had reason to use this dealer or plans to again. Certified Body Shop sent safety system repair / checks there. This isn't my usual dealer for service.

Body work from certified shop done without complaints.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Never had reason to use this dealer or plans to again. Certified Body Shop sent safety system repair / checks there. This isn't my usual dealer for service.

Body work from certified shop done without complaints.

True, you’re now in doubt as to the safety of your vehicle. I was not thinking when I posted in the wee hours this morning. Based on what I read, there’s no way I could see the shop give you any flack.

It sucks that you have to waste your time and do more legwork so perhaps ask your trusted dealer if they can refer you to a place where you can trust the work. Would not go back to the previous place.

My Camry was overfilled by a careless tech who was summer help and did not care to look if I had a V4 or V6 Camry. The excess oil filled my driveway the next day. I bit the bullet and went to a new shop where they had to change the head gasket and while at it did the timing belt and water pump which I turned a negative into a positive.

My BRAND NEW Passat with a large scratch was not fixed because I did not complain to the salesman’s manager at the dealer. As usual I end up the nice guy who finishes last. I think some of us have targets in our foreheads when they see us.

Raising hell and being the squeaky wheel who gets the grease was never me...perhaps that’s the way to be sometimes or keep getting walked on.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, you’re now in doubt as to the safety of your vehicle. I was not thinking when I posted in the wee hours this morning. Based on what I read, there’s no way I could see the shop give you any flack.
Correct. The sill mould is easy to break. One broke when mechanic friend was showing me some stuff on my car. $10 piece. No biggie. Had this been the only thing, I'd just replaced it and gone about my life. $10 isn't worth the stress, headache, or arguing.

Unfortunately, the battery being left disconnected, the sill mould broke, and the B-Pillar jammed on, are carelessness. And I can't just be nice and let this slide, since the workmanship also involved my seat belts and safety systems. That nagging voice tells me, if the tech couldn't do these things right, did he do the other things properly? I won't take chances.

It sucks that you have to waste your time and do more legwork so perhaps ask your trusted dealer if they can refer you to a place where you can trust the work. Would not go back to the previous place.

My Camry was overfilled by a careless tech who was summer help and did not care to look if I had a V4 or V6 Camry. The excess oil filled my driveway the next day. I bit the bullet and went to a new shop where they had to change the head gasket and while at it did the timing belt and water pump which I turned a negative into a positive.

My BRAND NEW Passat with a large scratch was not fixed because I did not complain to the salesman’s manager at the dealer. As usual I end up the nice guy who finishes last. I think some of us have targets in our foreheads when they see us.

Raising hell and being the squeaky wheel who gets the grease was never me...perhaps that’s the way to be sometimes or keep getting walked on.
You'll live a lot longer than me! Sure I'll drop dead of a stress heart attack and you'll live to 100 telling the world your secrets. I can let some things go, but others I cannot. I'm a stubborn person, which works both ways I guess. I want things done right, and if not, corrected. I can let slide minor issues and go about my life, but bigger ones I address swiftly. It's probably why my family always asks me to deal with crap when there's a problem. I have a knack for being the squeaky wheel and being a problem solver.

Why I help folks on here get their issues resolved rather successfully. Not always but you can't be 100%.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Correct. The sill mould is easy to break. One broke when mechanic friend was showing me some stuff on my car. $10 piece. No biggie. Had this been the only thing, I'd just replaced it and gone about my life. $10 isn't worth the stress, headache, or arguing.

Unfortunately, the battery being left disconnected, the sill mould broke, and the B-Pillar jammed on, are carelessness. And I can't just be nice and let this slide, since the workmanship also involved my seat belts and safety systems. That nagging voice tells me, if the tech couldn't do these things right, did he do the other things properly? I won't take chances.

You'll live a lot longer than me! Sure I'll drop dead of a stress heart attack and you'll live to 100 telling the world your secrets. I can let some things go, but others I cannot. I'm a stubborn person, which works both ways I guess. I want things done right, and if not, corrected. I can let slide minor issues and go about my life, but bigger ones I address swiftly. It's probably why my family always asks me to deal with crap when there's a problem. I have a knack for being the squeaky wheel and being a problem solver.

Why I help folks on here get their issues resolved rather successfully. Not always but you can't be 100%.

That's some serious sh*t, that's still not the end of the world. If it were me I would get it inspected and make sure they at least did the safety work. If they did not that's some serious crap. You could probably seriously get the shop in trouble. They're playing with lives. My guess is the tech was pressed for time and was "sloppy" as far as tidying up the trim and various clips broke on him or he couldn't figure them out. But if I'm a tech and I don't know I ask someone for help. My friend who just did all the work to my engine has 20 years in his shop. He is the go-to guy and trouble-shooter for the newer mechanics.

Don't just do "shoddy" work and leave the appearance of the car in a haphazard manner. Reckless, careless, call it what you may, that tech was either pressed for time, could not figure it out and probably did not ask his senior mechanics for help.

I doubt I'll live that long, lol. That's all luck, or hereditary, we have no control over what idiot may do us in on the road, various health ailments, environmental factors, etc. I choose to stay cool and calm because stressing it will lead to additional problems for your health. Take it easy, but take care of it on Monday. Let it rest for the weekend and enjoy this weather. No rain finally.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's some serious sh*t, that's still not the end of the world. If it were me I would get it inspected and make sure they at least did the safety work. If they did not that's some serious crap. You could probably seriously get the shop in trouble.
Will get inspected after speaking to service manager from shop on Monday. Obviously, not by them because I refuse to drive 150-160 round trip since this was blatant carelessness and not just mistake.

Worst I intend to do is request a charge back to my credit card so my local dealer can inspect. Unless offending dealer feels like paying local dealer direct + giving me a rental while my car sits there....Local Dealer has no loaners...Why I actually go to another dealer 70 in other direction for services. Their body shop wasn't Volvo Certified, and nor does their preferred one have good reviews. Dealership itself does impeccable work. So I had to branch out and go 75 miles south instead of east.

Where body shop did excellent work and dealer did crap....Hah. So now I just need to take my preferred dealer, relocate it south, and we've got a perfect match?

They're playing with lives. My guess is the tech was pressed for time and was "sloppy" as far as tidying up the trim and various clips broke on him or he couldn't figure them out. But if I'm a tech and I don't know I ask someone for help. My friend who just did all the work to my engine has 20 years in his shop. He is the go-to guy and trouble-shooter for the newer mechanics.
Except the tech in his haste didn't bother hooking up negative terminal. Hell, the minute I started my car, I saw an Auto Start / Stop Service Required message...Should have been a red flag to the Tech he forgot to do something... Like hook up the battery properly?

Seems he did a lot of carelessness or rushing. Or just didn't have a clue what he / she was doing and failed to ask someone else for help...Thus breaking stuff in the process. B-Pillar has to come off to replace the molding.

Don't just do "shoddy" work and leave the appearance of the car in a haphazard manner. Reckless, careless, call it what you may, that tech was either pressed for time, could not figure it out and probably did not ask his senior mechanics for help.

I doubt I'll live that long, lol. That's all luck, or hereditary, we have no control over what idiot may do us in on the road, various health ailments, environmental factors, etc. I choose to stay cool and calm because stressing it will lead to additional problems for your health. Take it easy, but take care of it on Monday. Let it rest for the weekend and enjoy this weather. No rain finally.
Genetics play a role, but so does a healthy lifestyle. Minimizing stress helps, too. Since you're a chill, easy gong person, you're less likely to drop dead!... Hah, I let the small things slide, but fight tooth and nail for the bigger ones....

I can't live and let live as easily.... Because if good money is being spent to fix something, it needs done properly. Dealer did about $1,500 of the $2900 bill....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Genetics play a role, but so does a healthy lifestyle. Minimizing stress helps, too. Since you're a chill, easy gong person, you're less likely to drop dead!... Hah, I let the small things slide, but fight tooth and nail for the bigger ones....

I can't live and let live as easily.... Because if good money is being spent to fix something, it needs done properly. Dealer did about $1,500 of the $2900 bill....
I hope so, but an environmental factor or genetics will outweigh anything as far as longevity. A reckless chain smoker can live to 80 while a person with bad genes has factors beyond their control.

I think it's a question of having pride in your work. That tech now places his shop in bad standing or bad reputation if word gets out. Just take it to where you trust. I've had my share of bad luck with cars over the years, so I know the feeling. Main thing is we're healthy. Cars are metal, rubber and plastic can break. Usually can be fixed...people tougher to fix.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope so, but an environmental factor or genetics will outweigh anything as far as longevity. A reckless chain smoker can live to 80 while a person with bad genes has factors beyond their control.

I think it's a question of having pride in your work. That tech now places his shop in bad standing or bad reputation if word gets out. Just take it to where you trust. I've had my share of bad luck with cars over the years, so I know the feeling. Main thing is we're healthy. Cars are metal, rubber and plastic can break. Usually can be fixed...people tougher to fix.
Got a service followup phone call...Said service was terrible. Reached out to dealer and sent pics. Service Manager returns Thurs. Will probably resort to charge back. Scheduled appointment for Monday to have car looked at while I get a loaner.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good luck this next time around. Sh*t happens. Hopefully the loaner will take your mind off things. Are you taking it to your trusted dealer where your car gets regular service?
Take care

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck this next time around. Sh*t happens. Hopefully the loaner will take your mind off things. Are you taking it to your trusted dealer where your car gets regular service?
Take care
Yes. Trusted one is 80 miles away in opposite direction. Racking up miles!

You are right sh*t happens, but like everything else, requires a shovel to scoop it up and use it as fertilizer!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Will probably resort to charge back.
Not sure why you are jumping to this before they've even had a chance to respond.

Did you pay for it directly and plan to be reimbursed rather than have insurance handle the payment?
In auto accident, insurance pays you in check for an estimate. If there is damage over and above, the insurance company issues a supplemental payment. As they did so in my case. The supplement goes direct to the dealer.

Yes I payed for the job with a credit card. I have an appointment at my preferred dealer to look over all the work and correct all the things the other dealer broke and did improperly.

The same Tech that broke everything was tasked with fixing my seat belt tensioners and replacing my seat belt

I am told to contact the service manager on Thursday but my vehicle is not going back to that dealership whatsoever. Number one it is 80 miles each way and I already wasted my time picking up a car that they Carelesly damaged

Number 2 I have an appointment at my preferred dealer to rectify the broken items and check over all the work Done.

So I'm not really sure what they're gonna be able to offer to make this right because I am not driving back to them to let them redo my car. I had a rental car indefinitely that was already turned in because my car was supposedly ready.

Practically everything that Tech did was either wrong or I broke something doing it. Therefore since I'm going to have to pay the other dealer to go back and fix all the work I don't see why the original dealer should be paid

Now I have to be without a car on my own time as well and my prefer dealer is 80 miles in the other direction. So now im having a drive 300 miles, Going there and back to drop off my car and then to pick it up.

The only reason I went to the original dealer is The Body Shop was a certified body shop and they used a dealer that I had never been To do all the non body work. The body shot did a good job unfortunately the dealer basically broke everything along the way Absolutely inexcusable

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
1. Tech Left BMS Battery Disconnected.....
2. Starting up car, when I picked up at body shop threw errors including Start / Stop service Required...How tech didn't check and ignored errors shows carelessness.
3. On way home, noticed door Weather Stripping improperly installed on Driver's and Front passenger Door.
4. Removing Weather Stripping, I found my Sill Mould was busted.
5. Upon investigating why, I see my B-Pillar is JAMMED on incorrectly. Bottom Moulding will need replaced.
6. There's a gap between B-Pillar and Carpet. Carpet bit spongy in spot. Not sure if he broke backing and/or if Gap is from B-Pillar installed wrong

Pretty much, the Tech's entire job is now put in doubt, and I have to pay someone to reverse engineer his work. Meaning he carelessly did the work and broke things. And this guy was tasked with Checking Whips, Replacing Tensioners, Replacing Seat Belt, etc. If the exterior work looks bad.... Going to guess the remaining aspects are his job mirror what I can see.

So why should the Dealer be paid, when I now have to pay another Volvo Dealer to go back and do everything again? There's very little that can be said (even though I'll call Service Manager and "listen") to justify what occurred. And since I won't be going back there, any remedy they will offer is going to be inadequate.....

Offering to cover the cost of repair doesn't cover the fact I had to give up my rental that was given to me indefinitely and drive 150 miles to pick up a car improperly repaired. Or that I'll be driving 2 x 150 trips to drop off and pick up my car at the preferred dealer to repair the carelessness. And I had ZERO REASON to be out that direction, so this driving is with sole purpose having bad workmanship repaired.

My Gas, my time, driving to and from, unnecessarily being without my vehicle, having to pay to replace parts broken by the tech (when these parts weren't broken), etc, are all due to the original dealer's incompetence.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In auto accident, insurance pays you in check for an estimate. If there is damage over and above, the insurance company issues a supplemental payment. As they did so in my case. The supplement goes direct to the dealer.
This isn't always the case. Some people choose to have the insurance company deal directly with the body shop. That's why I asked.

Yes I payed for the job with a credit card. I have an appointment at my preferred dealer to look over all the work and correct all the things the other dealer broke and did improperly.

The same Tech that broke everything was tasked with fixing my seat belt tensioners and replacing my seat belt
Just because he broke the trim pieces putting everything back together doesn't mean he didn't reinstall the belt and pre-tensioners properly.

I am told to contact the service manager on Thursday but my vehicle is not going back to that dealership whatsoever. Number one it is 80 miles each way and I already wasted my time picking up a car that they Carelesly damaged

Number 2 I have an appointment at my preferred dealer to rectify the broken items and check over all the work Done.
You will need to wait and see what your preferred dealer says before you can initiate a chargeback. If they installed the belt and pretensioner properly, but just broke a few pieces putting it back together, your chargeback would not be valid. You need to talk directly to the dealer about a refund for the amount that it will cost to fix their negligent work, not chargeback the whole amount. I don't recommend saying "I will just file a chargeback," to get them to agree because you will lose when you duke it out with your credit card company.

So I'm not really sure what they're gonna be able to offer to make this right because I am not driving back to them to let them redo my car. I had a rental car indefinitely that was already turned in because my car was supposedly ready.
They should refund you what it costs to fix what they broke.

Practically everything that Tech did was either wrong or I broke something doing it.
you don't know enough about what was done to your car to say this

Therefore since I'm going to have to pay the other dealer to go back and fix all the work I don't see why the original dealer should be paid
its understandable that you don't want to bring it back there to fix something that they clearly broke, but they should be paid for what they actually did correctly.

Now I have to be without a car on my own time as well and my prefer dealer is 80 miles in the other direction. So now im having a drive 300 miles, Going there and back to drop off my car and then to pick it up.
that definitely sucks, but there isn't much you can do about this unfortunately

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This isn't always the case. Some people choose to have the insurance company deal directly with the body shop. That's why I asked.

Just because he broke the trim pieces putting everything back together doesn't mean he didn't reinstall the belt and pre-tensioners properly.
that definitely sucks, but there isn't much you can do about this unfortunately
A. They didn't just "break trim"....You do realize there are BILLABLE shop hours for my dealer to:

1. Remove both B-Pillars to inspect the work
2. Replace broken parts (trim or otherwise)
3. Repair any deficiencies (if any are discovered)

Even if there are no deficiencies in workmanship to the installation of the belt, tensioners, etc the repairing dealership will MOST definitely charge me several hours of labor to remove, inspect the job, and replace broken items.

So this job isn't "Free".

If the dealer wants to be a jerk about things, I can turn this over to my attorney. I was injured in the auto accident. The accident was caught on video. I am seeking treatment (physical therapy) for these injuries due to the amount of impact necessitating the seat belt system be replaced..... And the attorneys that took my on contingency see $$$ on the horizon...

I can't imagine they are going to be A-Hole's about this issue, because of the bigger picture....

So.. I'm going to give the offending dealer a few choices:

1. Compensate me and pay for repairs

2. Body Shop + Dealer = Same Owner. Assuming the damages do not exceed the cost of the Dealer Repair, then dispute their work, and leaving intact that of the body shop

3. Turn this over to my attorney...And let the dealership argue with them....

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So.....I can't make this SH*T UP......

Dealer begged me to give them one more chance. They rolled out the red carpet, flat bedded a 2019 S60 rental up to me (80 miles)....I loved the Car...., and flat bedded my car down there. Worked on it, replacing the B Pillar Clip. Checked the Systems...Sent me my car back on a flat bed and picked their car up.

Unfortunately, the assurances of the Service Manager than all things were checked and inspected FELL FLAT....I cannot adjust the height of my seat belt. They didn't slot the B Pillar on properly Yet again... And now there's a Pin Hole in the leather on my door. Like someone got it with something Sharp...

Will take pictures in the Afternoon and post it here.....2 Strikes...They tried, were polite and apologetic, but apologies can only go so far.....

So there you go meade... I gave them 2 attempts! Glad I kept my appointment for Monday at my preferred dealer.....Now my car can be put together right...

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Damn! If it wasn’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t have any luck at all, would you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts