SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i was driving around the other day got home put my car in park but it still wanted to drive forward. I then proceeded to put in into R and it wanted to go forward ? No matter what i do it remains in Gear and want to drive forward. The car can go into park but still wants to drive forward if i touch accelerator ? Im pretty sure this mean the trans is gone but im unsure at this time.

99 xc 70 (not my vehicle, posting for a friends who has no internet)

·
Registered
808 Posts
My guess is that the shift cable came off of the lever on top of the trans. There is a small clip that holds it on. Easy fix if that's the problem.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Yeah, and the bushing is rubber and can wear out, and pop right off over the clip. Definitely check linkage first. Pop off the air intake tube and it should be easily visible.

Also this is why cleaning out your garage can be so frustrating, as I just threw away an automatic shift mechanism with this bushing in it from a tranny swap I did 4 years ago. You just never know if someone else might need what you have.

Edit: Duh, I remembered why I threw it out, because I just got another one in my new convertible I'm working on. So if your friend needs a bushing or cable, or any part of that assembly, I have it available for sale.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a look at it today and noticed the shifter cable was attached. Tried shifting it from the tops of the trans car remained in gear not matter where i moved it. No Neutral or Reverse could be found ?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to throw the V70 AT tranny into the XC ? Car has FWD conversion. Do any other trannys work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
cable probably connects or is routed through several palces before it ends up at the tranny. Trace the cable all the way back and if you have no luck call the dealer in the am. Car wont start in gear for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, you should be able to pop the cover off your gear shifter and use a small screw driver to depress the lockout button and (possibly) manually put the shifter in park. I still wouldn't try to start it without triple checking the shifter cable linkage.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok to make it clear the gear shifter can move into P R N D 3 L. No matter where you shift it to the car wants to go forward Except for Reverse. When the car is put in reverse it no longer moves froward or anywhere for that matter. You do hear what sounds like fluid spraying/splashing inside the trans? We have flushed his trans and now have pink fluid coming out. When the car is turned off and the car is put into R or N it rolls back. So im unsure if it needs a TQ converter. Im pretty sure the solenoids are in good shape they may be frozen but im not getting any codes besides the P0734 which after the trans flush and reset its not coming back. Car does shift 1-4 in Drive and stops in park although it does want to go forward.

Any help would be great ! ...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
PNP switch anyone?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought that too so I removed it cleaned it and put it back. After that i was able to get N when car was off. What's bothering me is Reverse when in gear I hear fluid splashing around and no car movement at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts