SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since my fmic went it its gotten a little hot. today i was in some bad traffic & it got up really high. like all the way.

did i mess up my radiator fan or something? anything simple to check?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You may have shorted your radiator fan, check fuses and fan function. If you have not done damage already then get it fixed quickly.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
you're in trouble, when temps rise that high you've damaged something. If you ever see the temp start to rise shut the engine off as soon as possible otherwise you'll damage the engine.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
you're in trouble, when temps rise that high you've damaged something. If you ever see the temp start to rise shut the engine off as soon as possible otherwise you'll damage the engine.
I pegged the temperature gauge at the race track twice. And she's still kicking.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was stuck in traffic on the highway when it happened. i turned the heat all the way up & it came back down to the middle. it was only that high for a minute or less. but yeah, i know its not good :(

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm curious about this as well because I don't think my radiator fan is working. Hopefully someone can chime in with their experiences with the fan

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Someone else here did a FMIC install and shorted their radiator fan. If I recall correctly, there are three wires going to the fan, ground, low power, high power. They somehow shorted the high power one, so the fan wouldn't turn on fully when needed. Pull the fan connector and use a meter to test it, you can also test the engine side of the connector if you do it quickly (use a meter on the contacts before the engine gets too warm).

I think the fix was a new fan as the regulator and wiring was built in.

edit: this might sound stupid, but make sure you properly reconnected the fan connector.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the fuse really that inaccessible? Under the fuse box that's in the engine bay? I ran the car but the fan isn't going on at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I pegged the temperature gauge at the race track twice. And she's still kicking.
Nearly pegged mine once at a trackday and also driving up Pikes Peak a bit too quickly apparently.
That was 60K+ miles ago, engine now has 115K and still runs perfectly.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
after how long of a session?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts