SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a few of you may have seen my thread last week about the car not starting, and it most likely being the crankshaft sensor. I replaced it 2 days ago and the car ran perfectly. Today I get in the car after class to drive home and it struggles to start, I get the CEL and reduced engine performance warning. I just got home and the codes I'm getting drom the autotech scanner are:

CEM: 1A59 and 1F00 (I had these before the crank sensor was replaced)

ECM: 5000, 5110, 212C, and 21EC

Is this a fuel pump thing? I searched around a bit but I couldn't find anything that sort of encompassed what the hell is going on with my caR. Help :(

EDIT: I also looked under the hood and the coolant in the resevoir looked a lot higher than usual.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
A tuned ECU it will generally trigger codes for a software fault, which is completely normal for a tuned ECU. The two I get are:
CEM-1F00 ECM, Software Faulty Signal
ECM-5110 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) central electronic module (CEM)-Faulty signal

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have the elevate tune (20 psi) and in the ~2 months I've had the car I never got those other 3 codes. The CEL and reduced performance worry me most as i've never has those before.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also looked under the hood and the coolant in the resevoir looked a lot higher than usual.

don't worry about that ... the crack in your #2 cyl has passed air into your coolant.
take the cap off the reservoir and run the engine at idle ... that should clear your air bubble.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you're saying I have a cracked cylinder?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I flashed the ECU back to stock and cleared codes and it still starts badly. I think the coolant bekng higher is just from the car being warmed up. I had the spark plugs done 2 weeks ago with OEM plugs, coild that be it? The car drives perfectly fine still, it seems slightly hesitant to boost but that could just be me being paranoid. No shaking or anything while driving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, sadly. i've been really busy with school and i haven't had the time to find a good unit. i know i need vida/dice so it's next on my list of stuff to buy after i fix whatever's wrong. if i have a cracked cylinder wouldn't the engine not drive well?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the O2 was replaced by previous owner i'm pretty sure, i'll have to check. as of now i'm also getting CEM 8F06 (hazard warning signal switch?) and the car won't start unless i hold it down for a solid 3 seconds. also sounds weak on startup. it took me 3 tries to get the car started. is this a spark plug issue?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Is the battery original? These cars are weird when the voltage isn't perfect.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i don't think it is. the battery is OEM with a 10/11 sticker on it which makes me think it was replaced then? (pardon my teenage lack of knowledge)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
That sounds right. Might want to check coils and the wiring on top of the engine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds right. Might want to check coils and the wiring on top of the engine.
would bad coils throw those codes? i'm not super knowledgeable on how coils affect startup/codes but i don't know if they'd throw the reduced performance and CEL?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
would bad coils throw those codes? i'm not super knowledgeable on how coils affect startup/codes but i don't know if they'd throw the reduced performance and CEL?
Bad coils do all sorts of weird things. Playing the guessing game will only get you so far. VIDA is in your future like it or not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts