SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the food coma.

So, yesterday I tried to get some gas, but my fuel door wouldn't unlock. I got the message that it unlocked on the screen and heard it try to unlock, but no dice. I turned the car back on, and after a hesitation, it started with the warning "Immobilizer See Manual". I drove to where I needed to be, reset the immobilizer (lock/unlock 5 times), then drove home with no immobilizer problem.

Today, Fuel door is still stuck in the locked position. No immobilizer problem, but now I'm left with 10 miles to empty and no way to refuel. The manual override is stuck. I pulled and pulled, but it just won't budge. I almost bent the tab right off. The fuse is fine, I tried to lube it up (WD-40) and I even tried to reset everything by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. Still won't budge.

Anyone have anything else I could try short of ripping the door off to get my car some gas while I wait for a part? Also, has anyone changed this lock motor? I read that it's just two screws, but does anyone have any more-detailed instructions?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I thought there was a cable inside the trunk that would release it... should be behind the removable panel on the passenger side of the trunk.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is. It's a little bar with a tab on it to pull and release it, but that's what I mentioned is stuck. It's as if the motor seized and won't give for anything.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Looks like you have to get that fuel door open first.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for! Now, I just need a way to open this fuel door.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you have a bone tool, you might try using it to pry the hinge side to break the plastic hinges (not really sure if it'll fit in the gap). You obviously would have to replace the hinge, but last time I did mine, I think it was less than $10.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for! Now, I just need a way to open this fuel door.
You can actually access the plunger via the trunk, and open up the passenger compartment liner where you access your light housings. Look right where the Fuel door is supposed to be and you'll see the lock mechanism. Simply unplug the motor from it's harness and use a screwdriver to move the plunger back, it is driven by a spring loaded actuator. LEave it unplugged until you have time to replace the motor.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Worst case, cut/grind the fuel door in such a way you can get it open, then replace the thingy, or pull out the hinge like the other guy said. New fuel door is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to break the plastic around the motor and after A LOT of leverage, I freed the lock. Removal was a piece of cake with the fuel door open. I was in and out of my local junkyard in ten minutes and only $30 spent for a new one from an 06 2.5T AWD S60. Aside from not seizing at all, this was best case scenario!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I was able to break the plastic around the motor and after A LOT of leverage, I freed the lock. Removal was a piece of cake with the fuel door open. I was in and out of my local junkyard in ten minutes and only $30 spent for a new one from an 06 2.5T AWD S60. Aside from not seizing at all, this was best case scenario!
Good, glad it went rather well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts