SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having no luck inserting images, so here is a link to my Picasa album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/heatdoc6/Volvo?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGpr5uzuLn0Fw

As you all know, Passion red is not available in the US. My car was an overseas delivery which got cancelled & ended up at a local Volvo dealership. My good fortune. I could not resist adding the Sports Appearance package. The car gets lots of OU-LA-LA'S.

Would you believe I scraped & dented the front fender backing out of our garage on the first day I took possession of the car. When I heard the crunch, my heart literally sank to my belly. It was so unreal, I thought I might be having a nightmare! In any case, 4 days later I had my baby back like new (thank God I knew of a superior body shop). Furthermore, since I had a double bonus for 10 years of accident-free driving, I ended up paying the $250 collision deductible and the incident did not affect my insurance premium.

Anyway, I can only give first impressions of the car since I have only had it for a week. The performance of the car leaves very little to be desired although I must admit that the 2 L V-TEC, 200HP of my previous Acura TSX outperforms the Volvo slightly (in my opinion). The Acura is more linear in its acceleration. Having said that, I must say that all the new 6-speed automatics that I drove suffer from shifting at early RPMs. Obviously this is to get better mileage.

What I love about the Volvo is the Sports Mode + down/up shifting on the shifting platform (or whatever you call it). The Sports mode eliminates the issue referred to above & greatly increases the engine's performance (albeit sacrificing MPG). The new Acura TSX has moved the up/down shifting to paddle-shifters on the steering wheel. For me, that takes away the feeling of "manual" shifting.

Regarding the software on the S60, I find it to be not that user-friendly. Obviously, I will get used to it but, as a tech. guy myself, there are a few things which are somewhat frustrating. If you are entering tel. contact info. manually (contacts did not transfer from my bluetooth LG phone), there is no function which allows for editing/deleting a single contact. You can only delete the entire phone-book. IS SOMEONE KIDDING ME? I also find navigating the AUDIO features takes more steps than should be needed. This is because there are no dedicated buttons for FM1, FM2, AM, CD, etc. There are plenty of unused buttons on the console, so why not put them to good use? Also, why do I have to "activate" the screen (by pressing the ON/OFF button prior to pressing RADIO, TEL. or MEDIA?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I use the Seat Memory buttons to good use for exiting the car (I press M2 to retract the seat) and after entering the car (I press M1 for driving position). This is a Godsend for my back & for not rubbing the leather on the side of the seat.

The backup camera which I had installed as an accessory, is very cool. The display actually shows the path (outlined in yellow) that the wheels are taking as well as the outline of the cars width.

Finally, I am very impressed with the S60's smooth & quiet ride. Better than with the TSX. The Michelin Primacys are fabulous.

·
Registered
301 Posts
congrats- it is really a nice car.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Congrats on your car! It looks fantastic!

I see that you bought it from the store I used to work at! Who was your salesperson?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your car! It looks fantastic!

I see that you bought it from the store I used to work at! Who was your salesperson?
Stillman Volvo: John Kennell

I am originally from LA.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Looks great. I scratched my font bumper right after I got my car. The whole time the parking
sensors were beeping, too. So I believe it!

You get used to Sensus and there are a few shortcuts. For example, you can hit the Media button
multiple times to scroll through the options (originally, I hit the media button and then used the scroll
wheel to do this -- hitting Media 3 times to go from CD to IPOD is much easier once you learn the pattern).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Congratulations.............very sharp car!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Congrats on the awesome looking car! As another tech guy (CTO of our company) i agree with everything you said. However, you get used to it and it all begins to makes sense in it's own way. I do find that using the nav and phone dialing by voice command is way faster than entering it once you train the car and train yourself on exactly what and how to say something.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am having no luck inserting images, so here is a link to my Picasa album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/heatdoc6/Volvo?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGpr5uzuLn0Fw

As you all know, Passion red is not available in the US. My car was an overseas delivery which got cancelled & ended up at a local Volvo dealership. My good fortune. I could not resist adding the Sports Appearance package. The car gets lots of OU-LA-LA'S.

Would you believe I scraped & dented the front fender backing out of our garage on the first day I took possession of the car. When I heard the crunch, my heart literally sank to my belly. It was so unreal, I thought I might be having a nightmare! In any case, 4 days later I had my baby back like new (thank God I knew of a superior body shop). Furthermore, since I had a double bonus for 10 years of accident-free driving, I ended up paying the $250 collision deductible and the incident did not affect my insurance premium.

Anyway, I can only give first impressions of the car since I have only had it for a week. The performance of the car leaves very little to be desired although I must admit that the 2 L V-TEC, 200HP of my previous Acura TSX outperforms the Volvo slightly (in my opinion). The Acura is more linear in its acceleration. Having said that, I must say that all the new 6-speed automatics that I drove suffer from shifting at early RPMs. Obviously this is to get better mileage.

What I love about the Volvo is the Sports Mode + down/up shifting on the shifting platform (or whatever you call it). The Sports mode eliminates the issue referred to above & greatly increases the engine's performance (albeit sacrificing MPG). The new Acura TSX has moved the up/down shifting to paddle-shifters on the steering wheel. For me, that takes away the feeling of "manual" shifting.

Regarding the software on the S60, I find it to be not that user-friendly. Obviously, I will get used to it but, as a tech. guy myself, there are a few things which are somewhat frustrating. If you are entering tel. contact info. manually (contacts did not transfer from my bluetooth LG phone), there is no function which allows for editing/deleting a single contact. You can only delete the entire phone-book. IS SOMEONE KIDDING ME? I also find navigating the AUDIO features takes more steps than should be needed. This is because there are no dedicated buttons for FM1, FM2, AM, CD, etc. There are plenty of unused buttons on the console, so why not put them to good use? Also, why do I have to "activate" the screen (by pressing the ON/OFF button prior to pressing RADIO, TEL. or MEDIA?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I use the Seat Memory buttons to good use for exiting the car (I press M2 to retract the seat) and after entering the car (I press M1 for driving position). This is a Godsend for my back & for not rubbing the leather on the side of the seat.

The backup camera which I had installed as an accessory, is very cool. The display actually shows the path (outlined in yellow) that the wheels are taking as well as the outline of the cars width.

Finally, I am very impressed with the S60's smooth & quiet ride. Better than with the TSX. The Michelin Primacys are fabulous.
Very nice, but you stole my thunder. We are doing an OSD in June and we are getting what looks to be the exact same configurations as your car (less the Sports Appearance Package). We ordered it without every seeing a Passion Red S60 in person. Your photo is the first I have seen with the Balder wheels. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like there will soon be two Passion Red T5 S60's in PA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice, but you stole my thunder. We are doing an OSD in June and we are getting what looks to be the exact same configurations as your car (less the Sports Appearance Package). We ordered it without every seeing a Passion Red S60 in person. Your photo is the first I have seen with the Balder wheels. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like there will soon be two Passion Red T5 S60's in PA.
Glad to have been of assistance (LOL). Where are you located in PA?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks awesome in red, congrats!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the awesome looking car! As another tech guy (CTO of our company) i agree with everything you said. However, you get used to it and it all begins to makes sense in it's own way. I do find that using the nav and phone dialing by voice command is way faster than entering it once you train the car and train yourself on exactly what and how to say something.
I do not have the NAV system. As you say, I will obviously get used to the user-unfriendly software. Why can so few companies produce user-friendly software (including Microsoft)?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Wait till You get an Intake system , and I'd also do the CBV - unit at - Viva Performance .
Does anyone Know what Boost the S60 T5 is running from the Factory ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad to have been of assistance (LOL). Where are you located in PA?
We are in Pittsburgh. Bobby Rahal Volvo is the dealer. I got a good look at some of your pics and am wondering if Volvo put balance weights on the outside of your wheels or am I just seeing things. I will be somewhat disappointed if they are doing that. Balance weights can damage the surface and when tires are replaced they are never in the same place twice.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Wait till You get an Intake system , and I'd also do the CBV - unit at - Viva Performance .
Does anyone Know what Boost the S60 T5 is running from the Factory ?
Too bad none of those mods would apply to an 11+ S60.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Favorite color and always good to have a unique car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts