SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 25, 2017, Over dinner my Dad said that he had found a Red euro spec five-speed manual 1995 Volvo 850 T-5 (Not T-5 R or 850 R) Wagon/Estate on craigslist in South Carolina for $3500...

July 30, 2017, I found Black AT 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R, an eBay for $800 as the starting bid and ending In 11 days. I was excited to see another one after Dad sold his cream-yellow AT 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R. He sold the car because the rear-mane-seal was replaced without a clean PCV and new valve stims in the motor. On the way home one day it blew a head gasket and possibly cracked the block I was never told and no one remembers, so... but that not relevant now...

August 2, 2017, I was wrong the auction 11 hours not 11 days, 3 hours left at $800. So I called my dad on his way to Atlanta in the middle of nowhere he bought the car with 2 seconds left. He did not think he got it, but he got an email two hours later "you were the highest bidder"...

August 11, 2017, We left Knoxville TN at 1:30 p.m. with Uhaul car dolly headed to Naperville LI.

August 11, 2017, 9:45 p.m. In the dark, with no bug spray, we loaded the car on the dolly, changed the back wheels, talked with the seller, and headed back to Indianapolis for the night

August 12, 2017, 2:30 a.m. we found a hotel somewhere in northern Indiana for the knight...

August 13, 2017, 6:30 p.m. back home...

October 3, 2017, 4:30 p.m. I washed the car for the first time in Tennessee, The Car looks so good when it's clean...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you probably noticed the car is missing the front R bumper (with the extra lip at the bottom), which is extremely difficult to find. The car is also missing the factory radio and 6 disc CD changer as well as the correct driver seat controller.

I went to the Volvo dealership to see if Volvo had one last R bumper, but they did not and they could not get one. :(

Maintenance needed!

Odometer Grear and Instrument cluster bulbs. The ODO Cluster typically stops counting the mileage about 115,000 - 140,000 miles

Gear selector bulbs in the console

ECU cooler hose

Parking brake shoes and hardware kit to replace all of the rusty springs and bolts.

Trunk lock cylinder not working

Motorized radio antenna

Heater Core hose

Find an R bumper

Things to check:

Check the AC condenser

Check the PCV system

Check the rear main seal

Check the Head gasket

Parts:

R front bumper

radio

6 disc CD changer (I have off of the yellow one because someone tried to steal it.)

Parking brake parts

ECU cooler hose

Gauge cluster repair kit (ODO gear and bulbs, also never got to it on the Yellow one.)

Driver seat controller

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things to check:

Check the AC condenser

Check the PCV system

Check the rear main seal

Check the Head gasket

Results:

PCV test..........................................................................................................................................Failed

Rear Main................................................................................................................................not leaking

Head gasket....................................................................................................................................GOOD

AC condenser.........................................................................................................................WORKING

More parts:

PCV Kit

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
December 2017 I was searching Volvo forms for an answer or a bumper or some useful information. Nothing but "Volvo does not make one anymore" and "It takes months to find one worth buying"

Nothing...Nothing...Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
February 2018

So I was trying to change the brakes. So I removed the hub nut, little did I know the hub nut strips itself when it goes on. It took me about 13 hours over three months with many different tools to get it off, sents I mostly destroyed the nut trying to remove it the first time.

I ordered a CV shaft from Rock Auto the old shaft came out easy, the new one when it smoothly with no problems. The lower ball joint keeper bolt came out striped so I had to replace it with metric grade 8 from the Ace Hardware. FYI the Volvo dealership will only sell you the hole lower control arm and hardware for +$100.00

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to get started I hopped on youtube and watched Robert Spinners DIY video on how to remove the dash pad, video on removing the Instrument cluster, and the video about fixing the odometer by replacing the gear.

So I took everything apart and pulled the cluster and replaced the gear, and put it all back together. The odometer counts just like it did factory, just 70,000 miles behind.

Only thing I would removing the hole dash pad as one pice so you don't break the bridal plastic and vibration noise when driving.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Your pics are not showing up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last weekend I replaced the PCV system on my T-5R and I have to say that it is a job and a half but it is much easier than it sounds just tedious and time-consuming.

I ordered iPd's $100.00 PCV kit worked out great, I recommended ordering throttle body gasket and an EGR gasket from them in addition to PCV kit.

Will post Pictures later

·
Registered
16,548 Posts
subscribed

the aftermarket PCV hoses dissolve in a couple years.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
16,548 Posts

·
Registered
16,548 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
The last time I got in contact with them was September. They posted on facebook to determine demand, 900 euros for a set of titans, is there interest? No news since then, at the same time I asked about R bumpers and they had no news at that time.

If you have something concrete, please share.

In the mean time the Volvo Composites seems to be the quickest and easiest (although not cheapest) way to go.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts