SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alight so here it is...

(don't mind the dirt...)

Made the bracket out of aluminum bed post framing..

And just a random pic I had on my photobucket before the lowering...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Nice, but isn't it now a kinda hot air intake?

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Mine is currently running like that as well. I intend to make a shroud for it to draw proper cold air to the intake as well as a R Kelly fog light intake, but that said, I have seen a increase in performance and better mileage after the AEM air filter alone over the stock.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Nice bracket setup.

It is a hot air intake, but oh well...it'll still be able to cram large quantities of air down the R's throat.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ya it is now but it sounds better and I havnt seen a performance loss since I never had the Kelly intake but turbo spools faster.. And probably by next year ima either have the B-Line setup or the IPD.. Just for looks and so I can run an intake from the fog light grill.

Edit: well actually I had a k&n with the stock air box with out the top.. I can't find my top and when I traded in the SR for my VR part of the deal was I had to give them my top back so I could get more trade in value.. So while I was at it when I gave them everything.. I gave back the resonator the hood blanket and even the OEM used brake pads.. And my friend that said to just go for it and take everything away has a subie wagon that has over 450 at the wheels Is jealous of my turbo having the ability to spool around 1500..

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I also have an open filter and it runs great! What did you use for that bracket? My rigged up one is pretty ghetto and would prefer a cleaner one like yours.

cheers

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Nice, but isn't it now a kinda hot air intake?
Dont matter didnt you see that nice shinny pipping to the ETM......? he got the FMIC!!!!! hahaha
so yea i like it nice bracket, but now CAI set up sad face.
Thinks for the photos. ill get a few of mine up tommrow

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I also have an open filter and it runs great! What did you use for that bracket? My rigged up one is pretty ghetto and would prefer a cleaner one like yours.

cheers
It allmost looks like a volvo bracket, from like a XC90 I6 for the A/C bracket

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Dont matter didnt you see that nice shinny pipping to the ETM......? he got the FMIC!!!!! hahaha
so yea i like it nice bracket, but now CAI set up sad face.
Thinks for the photos. ill get a few of mine up tommrow
So if you have a FMIC, it is fine having a hot air intake??

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

cheers
I used a piece of this bed post that was left on the street not it was about an inch wide and the flattened it and bent it how I needed it.. Then sprayed it black after I drilled the holes.. Oh and the people that went to the pre IPD GTG saw how ghetto my zip ties and all were so this is fairly new for me like this...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
the threere is no....... IDK but that is what im always hearing but i leave my box top open either way........

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I would say yes.

Also based on my views of the whole bunch of BS of hot air intake on the first place.

I wish someone here other then me would use there scanguag2 and check there intake air temp and compare that to the air outside of the car when its moving.

There might be a 1 degree of difference , now run that air throu a FMIC and what your intake pulls in doesnt matter.

Due to all the air moving in your engine bay from the outside of the car

People act like there is no air comming into the engine bay and all your doing is dumping hot exhuast air into your intake from some magical place. ............... rollseyes.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Alight so here it is...

(don't mind the dirt...)

Made the bracket out of aluminum bed post framing..

And just a random pic I had on my photobucket before the lowering...
I wish I was more mechanically inclined to do this and other stuff. Glad to see people with creative ideas!!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Still raining..... try tommrow

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is my AEM dryflow intake system:

BSR Optiflow intake kit with a 9x3.5" AEM dryflow filter. Still have to drill my hole for the IPD CAI (you can see the hose routed under the BSR box). Yes still a bit of a hot box, but the hood grill helps

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh wow that's nice.. What is that coloring on yours?? Is that from the cleaner or did you paint it??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I know im going to make somthing like that sirs!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The filter element is red, and the multi hue in the pictures is from the mesh over the filter element. There are two different types of AEM dry flow filters--one that is grey like yours (with the collapsible plastic reinforcement, and one that is red with a traditional non-collapsible aluminum mesh).

I'm thinking about insulating the underside of the metal box as it can become a big heatsoak, and potentially extending/adding the sides up to seal against the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Part number?? :D hahaha and when your done with that project please do share with the class!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Ha no rain!!!! so here is my set up..... Its a LOLer

1 - 20 of 46 Posts