SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

600WHP Mustang Dyno (About 675whp dynojet / dynocom) on 25 psi.

Could only rev to 7600 rpm due to some trigger issues I am facing. Usually I run it to 8500-9000 rpm.

Will revisit the dyno again soon. Should do 800whp+ at high boost.

Engine Bottom End: 06R block with 84mm Darton Sleeves. Step decked .003" Custom JE FSR 11:1 high compression pistons designed by me. 93.2mm R crank, 147mm rods, 21mm pins, 2.6L. ARP main studs. Calico coated KING mains. Glyco Sputtered rod bearings.

Cylinder Head: 95N head with solid lifter conversion (plugged oil galleys + RN solid lifters). KM Cams stage 2, 11mm lift, 280 durations (242 @ 1.27mm), 34mm base circle, solid lifter profile. full port and polish, 5 angle valve job, valve profiling, full race re-condition (179/242 cfm int, 163/192 cfm exh, .500", 28in water). AutoTech Valve Springs. ARP head studs. Drilled S60R MLS head gasket.

Turbo: LGSpeed manifold (mild steel) ceramic coated. Tial 44mm MV-R. HX40 with KTS4022 69mm billet wheel 68mm h1e turbine 20cm housing.

Charge: Homemade intake manifold with RN port shape, 3.6L plenum, 3" throttle body. DO88 Alu drop in Bar and Plate Intercooler, 3in RIP kit withTurboXS H-RFL BOV. 4in Aluminum Intake Pipe with 5in Cone Filter. 3.5" straight turboback exhuast.

Drivetrain: External Slave M56H with Quaife LSD, Sachs 707 with Southbend 6 puck ceramic clutch.

EMS / FUEL: Megasquirt 3 PRO PNP designed by me. IGN1A coils. EV14 2200cc injectors with custom fuel rail. 8an lines. Dual AEM 400 with surge tank. AEM 320 as transfer pump.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What's up man? Matt, right?

Been following your YouTube videos for some time man. Pretty happy for you and all your progress, it's come a long long way. Congrats on a beast of a machine! I'll be lucky if I hit 300 whp with mine lol .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Keep it going Matt!
Must feel great after all of the hiccups you've had along the road to this point.
How are you doing for traction? I'd imagine it'll easily spin in 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I love that 25 psi is "low boost"

Great build!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's up man? Matt, right?

Been following your YouTube videos for some time man. Pretty happy for you and all your progress, it's come a long long way. Congrats on a beast of a machine! I'll be lucky if I hit 300 whp with mine lol .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Yep, Matt! Best of luck with your build!

Keep it going Matt!
Must feel great after all of the hiccups you've had along the road to this point.
How are you doing for traction? I'd imagine it'll easily spin in 2nd and 3rd.
Traction really isnt that bad. I have my suspension tuned VERY finely which helps a lot. Not much rear weight transfer due to some very stuff springs the rear and stiff susension in general. 1st spins. 2nd spins briefly at peak torque and 3rd hold the f**ck on. The powerband being so high also helps significantly with traction. Small turbos with massive peak torque at low rpm are the reason why FWD has such a bad rep for traction.

I do want to AWD swap eventually, but I keep going back and forth on it. I don't feel like dealing with angle gears and weak M66s.

I love that 25 psi is "low boost"

Great build!
Haha it is quite funny. I show be able to run 35-40 psi in the end which should put me close to 800whp :)

·
Registered
16,667 Posts

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Why a N head and a 83mm block?

Traction really isnt that bad. I have my suspension tuned VERY finely which helps a lot. Not much rear weight transfer due to some very stuff springs the rear and stiff susension in general. 1st spins. 2nd spins briefly at peak torque and 3rd hold the f**ck on. The powerband being so high also helps significantly with traction. Small turbos with massive peak torque at low rpm are the reason why FWD has such a bad rep for traction.

I do want to AWD swap eventually, but I keep going back and forth on it. I don't feel like dealing with angle gears and weak M66s.

I wouldn't; tire tech is moving pretty fast these days. Let the car be FWD as it was intended to be and let the tires catch up to you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you plan on updating here as well as youtube? :D It's been fun following the build on youtube, even if I don't understand 70% - it's nice to watch a masterpiece in the works!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this the most powerful 850 ever?
No, the most powerful one made 1140hp. https://www.garaget.org/?car=58795

Mine is probably up there on most powerful in the western hemisphere.

Why a N head and a 83mm block?

I wouldn't; tire tech is moving pretty fast these days. Let the car be FWD as it was intended to be and let the tires catch up to you.
Its a 06 B5254t4 (strongest casting) with darton sleeves bored to 84mm (just about 2.6L with 93.2mm crank).

The N head IMO is the best head to make huge power on. With the size of the cams I have (11mm lift and 280 duration) VVT is useless. There is only a few degrees each way before there is piston to valve contact. Not worth it at all especially since it consumes massive amounts of oil to move the cams. The N head is also better for porting. Stock, the N & RN only flow 5-10 cfm difference, I did the testing a while back on volvospeed.

The only downfall of the N head is the hydrualic lifters. However I converted my N head to use solid lifters, which required a custom cam profile & blocked hydrualic lifter oiling holes in the head. For the lifters, I simply ordered all new solid from volvo and set the valve lash appropriately.

Do you plan on updating here as well as youtube? :D It's been fun following the build on youtube, even if I don't understand 70% - it's nice to watch a masterpiece in the works!
I will probably intermittently post updates here. I used to be a long time member of volvospeed but that forum is dead. After using forums for many years, I think I prefer YouTube now. Much larger audience.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Its a 06 B5254t4 (strongest casting)
Good info. I have an '04 B5254T4 engine sitting in my garage. :)

BTW, do you still spend any time messing with the M4.4 tuning stuff? I have a couple (probably simple) questions that I can't seem to dig up any info on.

·
Registered
16,667 Posts

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Sleeve liners != casting

The sleeve liners crack not the casting (block)...
It's the same block as a 2.5T; R just has more failures because more boost and/or the stock tune isn't very good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the same block as a 2.5T; R just has more failures because more boost and/or the stock tune isn't very good.
You're not understanding what im saying.

The B5254T4 is one of the strongest 5 cyl castings volvo has made. The sleeves liners are however very weak and crack. The casting (block) does not. It makes it the best candidate for sleeving.

This block is Darton sleeved... nothing is going to be cracking...

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
What makes the casting stronger than other white blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
^
it's all the same

someone did a cracked block replacement and at that time confirmed the block and crank had identical #'s to our R's block and crank. VOLVO = they know how to built an R line right..."hey lets get rid of these over produced 10,000 2.5 l blocks in our R line." oh and " lets fit it with 3 extra buttons Comfort/Sport/Advance and will add a bumper,seats and some other flashy stuff including the same angle gear and will get these bed boys out of here " :D

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
all older 2.3 t5 and 05-09 2.4 T5 have thicker sleeves/liners = 81mm bore ..."all 2.5t" blocks are same and have newer/identical crankshaft ,all with low-pressure and high pressure turbos (but not pistons and rods) but they all have 1mm thinner sleeves/liners = 83mm bore, thus making easier/prone to cracking between the cylinders...as far as the casting of the 2.4 t5 block it self , there is nothing special = all newer style white blocks are the same....

congrats matt! :thumbup:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I will probably intermittently post updates here. I used to be a long time member of volvospeed but that forum is dead. After using forums for many years, I think I prefer YouTube now. Much larger audience.
This is great to see, Matt! I think the last time I saw your car in-person was at Carlisle 3-4 years ago. Keep it up! :)

Oh wow, is Nokian developing something that will help transfer power to the rear wheels of a FWD platform?

·
Registered
467 Posts
no there are T4s mking more power than this
He said 850, not S40...

There are some overseas near/over 1000hp and trapping over 200mph in the standing mile.

Can't wait for more updates to your true super sleeper.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts