SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i had the car bagged for about 2 months, winter hit, so i was going to replace the clutch. well 20 beers later i had the motor pulled and striped down. lol guess its a full rebuild now. you can check out my air ride thread here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?221710-And-the-R-has-been-bagged
you can also follow the build on Instagram @bootsednbagged

stripping it all down

staying organized

it was 7 deg F out when we pulled the motor.

victory!

the motor was actually in great shape. pistons were clean and the cylinder walls had zero scoring, you could even still see the cross hatching.

block stripped down

now the good stuff

so sexy

new oil cooler

inconel exhaust valves. cleaned the head, new seals, 3 angle valve job

time for refit

the cams were not as hard as i thought to install even with vvt

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's...so...beautiful... :eek:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BOOM

chemical gasket

new seals

getting there

single mass lightened flywheel and spec stage 3+ clutch

pulling for fuel pump

new pump and 1000cc injectors

converting ev1 to ev6

the 60mm injectors fit well, little wiggle room up and down but not enough to pop out. i just put a small zip tie around the purple part and now they dont move at all.

ready to go back in

success

custom boost gauge fitting

wideband

high strength collar gear

Delrin subframe bushings

Courtesy of Adam's rotors

custom catch can set up

and here is how she sits now. downpipe is in, awd in, just have to do axles, suspension, radiator and IC.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Holy sh*t, hell of a lot of work. Nicely done.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Wow, I guess my biggest question is who is going to write a tune for all that goodness.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People always ask on here what it would take to get the R to 500awhp, well here is a list of just the major stuff. Add another 1,000 for the head rebuild and another couple grand for all the misc stuff and you will easily be spending $20,000. And that's doing all the labor yourself.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
This is very impressive. I'll admit I wasn't a big fan a bagged R but this is epic. Is it going to have anti-lag? In a few years I want to do this to my R.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is very impressive. I'll admit I wasn't a big fan a bagged R but this is epic. Is it going to have anti-lag? In a few years I want to do this to my R.
Thank you. Yea the anti lag will be with the launch control part of the tune. The pictures don't do it justice. The car in person looks dead sexy on bags. And with the right wheels it'll be even better.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Looks good, also seems like we are headed down the same path on our long block mods. Who did your sleeve machining?

I'm also surprised to see the head wasn't decked, or was that just a before pic?

And while its not on your parts list, I see the inconel exhaust valves, did you also change the exhaust guides? When I tore down and inspected my head at 160K miles I didn't mind reusing my intake valves and guides, but the exhaust guides were way too shot for reuse. Even when they are inconel, guide tolerance is important when it comes to keeping exhaust valves from overheating.

Looking forward to seeing some dyno charts and hearing at what RPM she hits one bar. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
You considered the Holset He351cw for your build, why did you choose the Garrett in the end?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good, also seems like we are headed down the same path on our long block mods. Who did your sleeve machining?

I'm also surprised to see the head wasn't decked, or was that just a before pic?

And while its not on your parts list, I see the inconel exhaust valves, did you also change the exhaust guides? When I tore down and inspected my head at 160K miles I didn't mind reusing my intake valves and guides, but the exhaust guides were way too shot for reuse. Even when they are inconel, guide tolerance is important when it comes to keeping exhaust valves from overheating.

Looking forward to seeing some dyno charts and hearing at what RPM she hits one bar. ;)
I had the block sleeved at a shop called Performance Clinic in Dayton Ohio. They were one of few that were even willing to take on the project. Came recommended from a co-worker as they build a lot of 8 second track cars.
The car had 90k on it and the shop said the valve guides were good. They checked it all. Head was straight too didn't need decked.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Looks really good. Possible details on the boost sensor? I hear you on the not doing the Labor yourself. I'm a bit north of that with the same Awhp goal. I went with the Plasma coils and cams so added a few more $$

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks really good. Possible details on the boost sensor? I hear you on the not doing the Labor yourself. I'm a bit north of that with the same Awhp goal. I went with the Plasma coils and cams so added a few more $$
I'm actually going to run stock bps for now. I will be running 400 wheel until I break the motor in and get everything tuned with Hilton.
Thought about cams but don't think they are worth the money for the few extra hp. This is a forced induction motor not NA. Same reason I chose not to pnp the head. We are forcing air not trying to suck it.
I'm going to see how she runs with the ipd coil packs but I can see having to upgrade to the plasma ones as well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If there is one thing I do when building a car is keep it clean and stock looking. I will go the extra mile to do it. Here is the water meth set up. Hate when people put it in the already cluttered engine bay. Same with the air ride, when I put the carpet back in you'd never know lol

The only thing you see without popping the trunk is the led.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts