SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

MY 2020 V60-RD OSD in May near Malmo Region Visit?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  caribchakita 
#1 · (Edited)
MY 2020 V60-RD OSD in May near Malmo Region.

We are thinking a relaxed stay in the Malmo area with some light hiking and a day trip to Copenhagen might be how we spend 4-5 days after the delivery of our new V6- R. Has anyone spent more than a day or two in the Malmo area and would care to comment on your stay in the area? We are not very interested in the city aspects of the area so much as the natural surroundings and the feeling of living in the area (like locals) for several days. After watching 21 stages of the Tour De France recently we are all castled out, if you know what I mean. We are thinking maybe of renting an apartment or small cottage for 4-5 night rather than a hotel. Anyone out there who has followed similar travel plans after delivery of their new Volvo?
Any comments welcome..Any suggestions would be helpful. We are not traveling with children. MY2020 V60 R OSD w/10 days of relaxation in our future planning in the works.
Cheers
Mike and Joan

#2 ·
I did stay in malmo. It’s a nice little town and we went to Copenhagen as well. Drive down and take the ferry over to Copenhagen then drive through the city and take the bridge across to malmo. Check out the beach there. Best place to watch the sunset. We stopped in Portugal for a couple of days. That was worth the extra cost.

#3 ·
We stayed in the area at a great Air BnB and ventured to Helsingborg for dinner and then drive to Copenhagen. Malmo city was fine, nothing that wowed us but then again, we were there only half day. We loved Solde for coffee. You need a parking app to park in the many public lots.

#4 ·
Thank you for your comments about Malmo. We are thinking after delivery of our V60 R, and spending the night in Torslanda we will head south in the morning to Helsingborg. The plan is renting an apartment for 4 nights and three days in Helsingborg near the city center. There is some light hiking in the area, weather permitting that is a short drive away. We are going to ask Volvo travel here in the USA if they will allow us to Fly to Copenhagen and delay boarding our flight home for two days so we can see a little of Copenhagen. Does anyone know if they will allow this? Maybe if we take the train to Copenhagen they will pay for that instead of the air??? I think I read they might be willing to do that. If we get a horrible day (weather wise) we will take the train from Helsingborg to Malmo to burn up the day. Still in the early plan stage so any suggestions are welcome.

#5 ·
Hi Mike and Joan,

Yes, they generally allow that. In fact, we were planning to fly to Gothenburg, then take the train from Gothenburg to Stockholm, spend 4 days, then fly out of Stockholm. When this got brought up in our travel planning phone call with Corporate Travel, their response was "We can add that flight for you!" - and they did. They also had great suggestions around routes and timing as well.

Let them know what you're trying to do, where you're trying to go, and they'll do what they can! That was our experience anyway.

#6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions on how to work with Corp Travel. We are a few months from placing our deposit and still roughing out the travel plans on our own. It will be great to offer up our ideas and combine them with their experiences with other OSD buyers. I am sure they have set up every combination of travel from backpacking to penthouse suites. They are sure to be able to make some helpful suggestions for us.
BTW...Can anyone explain how toll road fees are best handled by tourists? Do they take credit cards for tolls? We don't use a smart phone and would like to avoid getting one just for visiting Sweden and Denmark. I understand cash isn't very useful these days!

#7 ·
We drove through Norway for approximately 10 days in May. We also drove down the west coast of Sweden. Before we left the FDC and per our delivery person, Hans' instructions, we set up a toll account. The people at the desk helped my husband do this and after that we forgot about it. I believe my husband used his cell phone because he had it right there, but he also mentioned that if he had his laptop he could have set it up on there. If you have neither of those, maybe the front desk people can help you using their computer. It's worth an email to ask them and explain that you don't have a smart phone.

We just drove around and our XC90 would inform us from time to time that there was a toll coming up. We dropped off the car on 31. May and continued to forget about tolls! Then about 6 weeks later-mid July we received an email with our bill attached and instructions on how to pay it. The tolls came to $44.95 and the bill came through from "Euro Parking Collection London, GBR. We paid with our credit card and that was it.

#8 ·
Thank you for your information on the toll roads. I guess a few years back Volvo paid for our tolls in Sweden, based on a post I read here on SS. Like other good things that got expensive it appears this is no longer a feature of OSD. Thanks for the suggestions. We will bring a tablet with us for sure, and work with the folks at FDC to insure we have toll issue covered.

#11 ·
Lg makes a great point. Cashless so many places. When I arrived, 8 AM on Midsommer AM, i went to tip the taxi driver and asked staff at Clarion Post to convert some USD as I didn't have any Kroner. The taxi driver was hovering and offered to take USD. All I had was 20's. YIKES..later, I learned tips for taxis weren't expected. Did folks tip your Volvo drivers We converted later for tips and only one time, otherwise, credit cards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.