SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the way that looks. So, you switched out the shift bezel and the waterfall console? I put in a wood console in mine - which I also like a lot.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
WOW!! What did you follow up with?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that's the way the car came (used from CarMax here in Tampa) except for the shifter knob which I bought new and am still deciding whether to go back to the woodgrain or leave the silver. I followed up the caly bar treatment with some plastic wax by Maquiars. I love the result, so rich looking... Ralph

·
3,391 Posts
I'm not at all a fan of the stick-on fake wood. I love the real wood center stack that comes in the 2008+ V8s, and as far as stick-on wood goes, yours is pretty nice. I think they went a bit overboard though by putting it everywhere. Even in placed which normally wouldn't be wood. It kind of makes the whole thing look like one big slab of wood and the design features of the center stack are lost. I'm not sure if you've seen the 2008+ wood. Here is a picture in my car. I love the idea though and I will do the same to mine. I wax mine once a year, but haven't done anything beyond that. I never considered claybarring it, but that sounds like a great idea. I wonder what the fake stick-on stuff is made out of since it has to be flexible in order to be applied. The real stuff is actual wood laminate applied to an aluminum backing for rigidity to keep it from cracking. My XC90 came with the stick-on stuff everywhere and I spent my first day of ownership peeling it all off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yup, yours looks real nice and so does mine... Still having trouble entering the correct HTML to post the pic directly after the text... darn it! Ok, let's try again using the advice given below.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The code is called bbcode and the tag aren't too hard if you learn them.
tag also of course). If the image is high resolution then most image hosting services usually provide thumbnails so use that image link and then wrap the whole
part in url tags and that way it'll be clickable for high-res.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it, thanks Schmoyoho, this time I wrote it down... Ralph Boy, looking at my picture, I wish I could find a cheaper than new wood trimmed steering wheel!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not at all a fan of the stick-on fake wood. I love the real wood center stack that comes in the 2008+ V8s, and as far as stick-on wood goes, yours is pretty nice. I think they went a bit overboard though by putting it everywhere. Even in placed which normally wouldn't be wood. It kind of makes the whole thing look like one big slab of wood and the design features of the center stack are lost. I'm not sure if you've seen the 2008+ wood. Here is a picture in my car. I love the idea though and I will do the same to mine. I wax mine once a year, but haven't done anything beyond that. I never considered claybarring it, but that sounds like a great idea. I wonder what the fake stick-on stuff is made out of since it has to be flexible in order to be applied. The real stuff is actual wood laminate applied to an aluminum backing for rigidity to keep it from cracking. My XC90 came with the stick-on stuff everywhere and I spent my first day of ownership peeling it all off.

+1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts