SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S60R, M66 6 Speed
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. im the new owner of a 2004 s60r. its a 6 speed. has 148,000 om. i bought it from a guy in cinci. runs but couldnt "drive" per se. had a dead battery and a power steering line blown out. i u haul trailered it to jackson where i live and dropped it off at my buddies shop where i took the pics below. new batt and power steering line and she will b back on the rd.
from what i can tell looking the car over, its in very good shape. zero rust n e where underneath. one tiny dent on the drivers rear fender arch that has started to surface rust. the old owner recently replaced the 4c's all the way around. that was a huge buying point for me.
long list of planned upgrades. it would b easier to list what i wont be doing. not going with the big turbo kit. if i hit the lotta and have an extra r engine on tap, maybe. but dont c it happening otherwise. obviously with an r this old im gonna have to completely go thru it and check all the systems, fixing and upgrading as i go. im going for a sleeper. mostly stock looking on the outside. a custon rear diffuser is planned and possibly various aero canards front and back. definately going to retrofit a sport aero package off a new model r. that includes swapping out the black trim pieces all the way around. i may one day get it repainted if the right opportunity presents itself. sonic blue would b my choice. but for now, the silver is fine. and it will go well with the blue which will b the accents throughout the entire car.
as far as motor goes, its a ridiculously long list of upgrades. ipd, do88, and element will be featured prominantly on the car. more out of neccessity than choice. wish more aftermarket companies worked with volvos. but i guess thats part of being a volvo owner.
this thread will serve as a sort of timeline for tracking the progress on my r. i will post pics and info regaring all upgrades done to the car, as well as any events i will b attending with the car. happy to discuss or answer n e questions u guys may have. looking forward to diving into this volvo. oh by the way, my handle (Eye Roll) will also b the name of my car. a clever play on the history of the volvo name. coincidently its also what the "cool kids" do when u roll up in a volvo at the car meet. lol. so, i thought it an appropriate name
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light
Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gauge Personal luxury car Measuring instrument

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello all. im the new owner of a 2004 s60r. its a 6 speed. has 148,000 om. i bought it from a guy in cinci. runs but couldnt "drive" per se. had a dead battery and a power steering line blown out. i u haul trailered it to jackson where i live and dropped it off at my buddies shop where i took the pics below. new batt and power steering line and she will b back on the rd.
from what i can tell looking the car over, its in very good shape. zero rust n e where underneath. one tiny dent on the drivers rear fender arch that has started to surface rust. the old owner recently replaced the 4c's all the way around. that was a huge buying point for me.
long list of planned upgrades. it would b easier to list what i wont be doing. not going with the big turbo kit. if i hit the lotta and have an extra r engine on tap, maybe. but dont c it happening otherwise. obviously with an r this old im gonna have to completely go thru it and check all the systems, fixing and upgrading as i go. im going for a sleeper. mostly stock looking on the outside. a custon rear diffuser is planned and possibly various aero canards front and back. definately going to retrofit a sport aero package off a new model r. that includes swapping out the black trim pieces all the way around. i may one day get it repainted if the right opportunity presents itself. sonic blue would b my choice. but for now, the silver is fine. and it will go well with the blue which will b the accents throughout the entire car.
as far as motor goes, its a ridiculously long list of upgrades. ipd, do88, and element will be featured prominantly on the car. more out of neccessity than choice. wish more aftermarket companies worked with volvos. but i guess thats part of being a volvo owner.
this thread will serve as a sort of timeline for tracking the progress on my r. i will post pics and info regaring all upgrades done to the car, as well as any events i will b attending with the car. happy to discuss or answer n e questions u guys may have. looking forward to diving into this volvo. oh by the way, my handle (Eye Roll) will also b the name of my car. a clever play on the history of the volvo name. coincidently its also what the "cool kids" do when u roll up in a volvo at the car meet. lol. so, i thought it an appropriate name View attachment 144976 View attachment 144977 View attachment 144978 View attachment 144979
Good find , a pdv collar never hurt anyone either . Looking forward to the build

·
Registered
2004 S60R, M66 6 Speed
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok guys. so i have an update on my R. i finally got it back from the shop. turns out it was the steering rack. swapped that out and she drives. i would highly suggest dealing with BAP to get a reman steering rack. i payed $500 total. $150 of that was the core charge.
now ive been driving it a few days and im starting to notice a few issues. most noticable is the "mushy" shifts. 5th is especially hard to hit without "seaching". the other issue is a lot of popping, clanking and metallic vibration. all suspension related. im gonna get it up on stands and check all 8000(lol) bearings and bushings.
as far as the shifting issue goes, can u guys point me in the right direction. space ball bushing? trans torque mount?

the suspension i can figure out. the vast majority will be swapped out with aftermarket parts n e ways. i am curious tho, whats the best way to check the subframe bushings? all advice and suggestions are much appreciated

·
Registered
160 Posts
ok guys. so i have an update on my R. i finally got it back from the shop. turns out it was the steering rack. swapped that out and she drives. i would highly suggest dealing with BAP to get a reman steering rack. i payed $500 total. $150 of that was the core charge.
now ive been driving it a few days and im starting to notice a few issues. most noticable is the "mushy" shifts. 5th is especially hard to hit without "seaching". the other issue is a lot of popping, clanking and metallic vibration. all suspension related. im gonna get it up on stands and check all 8000(lol) bearings and bushings.
as far as the shifting issue goes, can u guys point me in the right direction. space ball bushing? trans torque mount?

the suspension i can figure out. the vast majority will be swapped out with aftermarket parts n e ways. i am curious tho, whats the best way to check the subframe bushings? all advice and suggestions are much appreciated
I put in poly inserts in my subframe bushings. If you just put it on jack stands and pull one bolt out at a time to check you should be fine.

·
Registered
2004 S60R, M66 6 Speed
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put in poly inserts in my subframe bushings. If you just put it on jack stands and pull one bolt out at a time to check you should be fine.
that sounds way easier than i thought it was gonna b. i planned to add the poly inserts as well. where did u put ur jackstands? im sure if theres a weak spot ill b the first one to find it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts