SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

My 2 Cents on IPD Sport Exhuast

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  MenardVolvo 
#1 ·
Beating the dead horse about exhaust, I got the Sport Kit from IPD and installed it on my car last night. As far as it being louder than stock, I can not really say, as I have been driving for about 3 weeks with no rear muffler, so it all seems quiet to me. I love this system though. The sound is very nice, a subtle little rumble to it, and accleration feels soooo much smoother. I dont know if that is added power, or just simply having a complete exhuast system, but I definitely like this system better than what was on there before. Once this system goes, though, I will probably opt for the stainless, just for the durability.

Question: Now that the system is intsalled, and will soon be completing a round trip from DC - NJ this weekend, is it too late to, and should I, consider getting some high-temp paint to coat the system with, just to help maintain it a bit longer?

#3 ·
Re: My 2 Cents on IPD Sport Exhuast (MenardVolvo)

Menard.............

I put the IPD sport exhaust on my 91 240....I also noticed a smoother acceleration and even more importantly...better gas mileage @ 1 1/2 mpg....I am up to @ 26.5 mpg combined city/highway. BTW...I did a full tranny system flush and service when I did the exhaust...that may be helping too!
The sound is not like a tuned system on a "rice burner" and I did get the chrome tip.... but modified it slightly to come straight out to the bumper..vs the curved pipe on the OEM system.
Isnce I am in a much warmer climate...I have no input on your paint question...........All in all..I recommend IPD for 240 acces! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·

I just got back from my round trip (DC-NJ and back) and I must say, I love this system. On the highway, everything actually seemed so much quieter, though as I said, I was used to a hole in the front muffler, and no rear muffler. Also, my mileage seems to have gone up. I drove the entire way home, approx 230 miles, and I was a little above 1/2 a tank (which I equate to actually be about 1-2 oclock on the gas guage). My next step is a KN air filter, see if I can get the engine breathin better still.

One problem I have encountered, though, is knocking if the car stalls, or when turning the car off (though not every time). Looks like some adjustments are needed.

#6 ·

Installing the K&N air filter affords the opportunity to do some reversible mods to the fresh air box, mass air meter, throttle body and idle adjustment. Interested?

About the pinging - some causes:

-Too low octane fuel (or contaminated fuel)

-Dirty/faulty fuel injectors and throttle body

-ECU system failure including mass air meter, Ox sensor, etc. (knock sensor on your car?)

-Air/vacuum leaks and poor electrical connections/grounds

When the tail pipe separated from the front of the muffler on my '86 245 with ipd sport exhaust the sound was glorious! Torque, power and mileage improved most noticeably. My wife threatened to call the noise police so I installed other ipd system - zoooom!

George Dill

#8 ·

If the new exhaust system is properly installed and you are hearing intermittent noises from the exhaust contacting nearby components then suspect sheared motor/trans mounts and or worn suspension components.

If you area is subject to random roadside smog checks then modifying the air box, etc. may not be a go.

George Dill

#11 ·

These mods are easily reversed and will not negatively affect the reliablity, durability or life-span of the 240 Volvo. Not for cold weather driving.

Done wrong this could cause damage to your Volvo.

-Air Box: Remove the hot air flap and thermostat (pops out). Install new K&N filter (NEVER use too much oil when servicing!). Remove the hot air hose from the air box and "hide" the loose end under the radiator shield. Attach a new hot air hose (ipd) to the air box and route the loose end to a position just above and behind the front spoiler near the rf wheel. To do this begin with the new hose and the rf wheel turned max right. Route the hose between the chassis and radiator shield then to the fresh air box. Tie up the hose at the spoiler position.

-Mass air meter: Remove both screens from the meter.

-Throtttle body/flame trap: Remove, service and reinstall. Adjust idle if needed.

Warning - if the intake system has air leaks ANYWHERE this could cause damage to the engine. Be sure the flex hose between the mass air meter and throttle body is in position and free of cracks/holes/leaks. The properly installed K&N will protect the exposed mass air meter sensor wire.

From here consider an aftermarket free-flow cat and free flow exhaust.

More?

George Dill

#13 ·

The hot air flap is needed for very cold weather to improve idle and decrease smog. In most situations it is just a deterent to intake air flow as are the mass air meter screens. The flap's movement is controlled by a thermostat which often fails with the flap in the "HOT" position - air from the exhaust manifold pre-heater. This condition eventually cooks the mass air meter then...

Best to remove the flap and thermo - very easy.

Now for the hot cam, larger throttle body and full-digital ignition...

George Dill

#14 ·

plug one end - pouring thinner -pluig other end -twist and shout
repeat with acetone
allow to dry
repeat using best hi temp epoxy
3 coats
then h itemp barbeque rusto over the epoxy
temp gradient will leave rusto at cool end protecting epoxy
then one can always plug the exhaust with rag on shutdown!

#16 ·

Consider adding a hanger from the tailpipe up to the bumper or bumper shock. The weight of the tailpipe puts a twisting load on the muffler hangers every time you go over a bump. But wait, there's more...

My IPD sport exhaust rear muffler eventually rusted out and broke where the under-axle pipe enters the muffler. The stub of pipe attached to the muffler was what broke, but it didn't simply break off. It broke off with some of the body of the muffler still attached, and some of the baffling pipe inside the muffler attached. I suspect the bouncing & twisting load on that joint didn't help. I had my friend weld it a few times, and it would last a week or two or three depending on how good a job he did of cleaning the metal. But it always broke again.

The mufflers and pipe will rust at the seams. Slather liberal anti-seize on the threads of the clamps, but don't seriously consider removing them easily in a year or two.

After probably close to 5yr, I still have the under-axle pipe from the sport exhaust. I replaced the mid pipe where the resonator would go in a stock system, because the IPD pipe had rusted a lot (although not all the way through). And of course the muffler is gone, replaced with a Magnaflow.

When you had the leaky/broken muffler before, there was probably a lot more vibration and droning through the car. Simply having the exhaust exit at or beyond the bumper does wonders for sound inside the car.

#17 ·
Re: My 2 Cents on IPD Sport Exhuast (towerymt)

When you had the leaky/broken muffler before, there was probably a lot more vibration and droning through the car. Simply having the exhaust exit at or beyond the bumper does wonders for sound inside the car.

Oh trust me, don't I know it. After getting the new system on, I thought I had an electric car so how little I heard. Though now that Ive had it awhile and leaks are sealing, the nice rumble is coming in.

#19 ·

My next step is a KN air filter, see if I can get the engine breathin better still.

Menard....forgot to mention that I put a K/N filter in my 240 as well....another reason for the fuel mileage increase....hey at $3 a gal.....every little bit helps!

ROLL on

#22 ·
Re: My 2 Cents on IPD Sport Exhuast (universityvolvoOSD)

That is one of my main reasons for the K+N. The only performance apsect I am interested in is MPG. I am not very performance oriented, though some more low end power would be nice, I haul a lot of stuff, though so far I have only really upped high range horse power.

#24 ·
Include me as another happy owner of an Ipd turbo exhaust. I installed it myself. I found it to be well made as everything fit fine. The old muffler required a little "encouragement" to seperate from the pipe but that was to be expected. Being in the south I didn't worry about painting it. As far as MPG and HP increase it's hard for me to say as I had the AC fixed shortly before. However the day after the exhaust installation we left on a 1200 mile trip. It was mostly highway and the AC was nearly always on and I averaged over 29 MPG. It "feels" a little faster but that could be solely in my head.

#25 ·
Re: (ncvolvobob)

My favorite aspect about the Sport Exhaust has been driving around in parking garages, where the sound gets amplified. I turn a lot of heads, as my exhaust rumbles, but then people see its coming from a Volvo wagon, and wonder. Well, they wonder about that or they stare at all my dents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.