SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm mostly copying and pasting a comment that I made on another ready to offer my input to those interested in the notion of waiting a year or two to buy the XC-90. If you already read that comment, please skip to the last paragraph. I have something very important to say. Thank you

All cars have problems. Judging by what I see on this forum, it is a small percentage that has problems. When VW Touareg first came out, 7 out of every 10 cars went back to the dealer for one issue or another. I think the XC-90 is less than 1 out 10 but that's only my guess. BMWs and Audis have their own issues as well. If you say you don't want to buy the XC90 because several people had issues, then you can jump on other forums of more "reliable" cars and see how many issues are occurring there. Here is one example after a quick search on the BMW forum regarding a the brand new X5 drivetrain malfunction:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=872474

Here is one on an S63, the brand new one and car has been at the dealer for 2 months of the first 5 months of ownership
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w222...mg-engine.html

There are many more examples

The issues I've seen are more centered around battery drainage which is either due habitual behavior or software . The same issue happens in other cars when the battery is drained and can't sustain the required voltages. It has happened to my adaptive headlights on my Peugeot 508 when the battery was drained (although I admit it was 2 years after owning the car). It happened to my Miata where the dashboard bake lights came on when the battery had to be replaced. It happened to my 2006 Lexus and it has happened to my Camaro. It's a basic EE thing. ICs need DC power (+Vcc and -Vcc). When the +/- Vcc can't sustain the IC malfunctions. The same thing happens with the ECM (Since it is basically ICs). I don't think these issues are a deal breaker. I do think that Volvo needs to figure out what it is happening to some owners and/or we as owner or potential owners need to understand what are we doing as a force of habit to cause this to happen.

I'm sorry but the notion of "let's wait a couple of years" to iron out the bugs is ridicules. Next year you will have the electric steering column and the electric rear seats, don't buy next years model because there might be issues with these 2 elements. The following year Volvo will change the ECM or exhaust or one thing or another, whose to say there wouldn't be something wrong with that element. There will always be something new and that something new will always have potential to be faulty.

Even if you feel that not buying the car would be the prudent things to do and that buying this model year is a dumb move, there is no need to demotivated people and make them feel stupid about this huge purchase. If you have your reason not to buy, just don't. Please don't put in a comment. It's very subjective. It's also very negative to others who already bought the car or waiting for the order to arrive and to those who just love the car.

Thank you

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great post.. although another poster here almost has me convinced to trade in my XC90 for an XC70! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well said, spot on. I have no issues at all with people sharing their unfortunate experiences with malfunctioning new cars, but indeed that is very different from bashing that particular model or brand as being bad, despite the emotions involved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Traded-in a 2015 XC70 for the XC90 - couldn't be happier! Have had no problems with it, unlike a few others here, and am thrilled to be able to drive around comfortably (and safely) with my wife, son, daughter-in-law, and two grandkids!
The XC70 (have owned a 2004, 2005, 2010, and 2015) is a great vehicle but couldn't hold all of us for a family outing since the addition of the second grandchild.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
anyone who is afraid to buy a first-year model should just admit to themselves that they shouldn't really be a NEW car buyer, at all. Such people should buy USED. That way, all the problems are "known" and they can afford to handle the cost issues. If someone can't handle the cost associated with new car gremlins, then they should buy used. That is the smarter way to go financially.

When people talk about not buying a first-year model and waiting, they put ZERO value on the joy that a person gets owning that new car (and not waiting). To be honest, they should include SOME value for the joy of owning the new car.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
+1 !!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi

I'm mostly copying and pasting a comment that I made on another ready to offer my input to those interested in the notion of waiting a year or two to buy the XC-90. If you already read that comment, please skip to the last paragraph. I have something very important to say. Thank you

All cars have problems. Judging by what I see on this forum, it is a small percentage that has problems. When VW Touareg first came out, 7 out of every 10 cars went back to the dealer for one issue or another. I think the XC-90 is less than 1 out 10 but that's only my guess. BMWs and Audis have their own issues as well. If you say you don't want to buy the XC90 because several people had issues, then you can jump on other forums of more "reliable" cars and see how many issues are occurring there. Here is one example after a quick search on the BMW forum regarding a the brand new X5 drivetrain malfunction:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=872474

Here is one on an S63, the brand new one and car has been at the dealer for 2 months of the first 5 months of ownership
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w222...mg-engine.html

There are many more examples

The issues I've seen are more centered around battery drainage which is either due habitual behavior or software . The same issue happens in other cars when the battery is drained and can't sustain the required voltages. It has happened to my adaptive headlights on my Peugeot 508 when the battery was drained (although I admit it was 2 years after owning the car). It happened to my Miata where the dashboard bake lights came on when the battery had to be replaced. It happened to my 2006 Lexus and it has happened to my Camaro. It's a basic EE thing. ICs need DC power (+Vcc and -Vcc). When the +/- Vcc can't sustain the IC malfunctions. The same thing happens with the ECM (Since it is basically ICs). I don't think these issues are a deal breaker. I do think that Volvo needs to figure out what it is happening to some owners and/or we as owner or potential owners need to understand what are we doing as a force of habit to cause this to happen.

I'm sorry but the notion of "let's wait a couple of years" to iron out the bugs is ridicules. Next year you will have the electric steering column and the electric rear seats, don't buy next years model because there might be issues with these 2 elements. The following year Volvo will change the ECM or exhaust or one thing or another, whose to say there wouldn't be something wrong with that element. There will always be something new and that something new will always have potential to be faulty.

Even if you feel that not buying the car would be the prudent things to do and that buying this model year is a dumb move, there is no need to demotivated people and make them feel stupid about this huge purchase. If you have your reason not to buy, just don't. Please don't put in a comment. It's very subjective. It's also very negative to others who already bought the car or waiting for the order to arrive and to those who just love the car.

Thank you
1) When did a bimmer or MB become a more "reliable" brand. I thought those rank the highest in time spent at dealership on 1st year models due to the amount of pioneering tech.
2) No one is waiting a couple years for Volvo or any carmake to iron out bugs. That just means you personally (not you but the person who makes the "wait a couple years" statement) is not really serious in purchasing in the first place.
3) The idea here is don`t be first inline to help any automaker gather some real world test data to implement changes into their production line. Usually the 2nd year offers a product substantially more well sorted.

anyone who is afraid to buy a first-year model should just admit to themselves that they shouldn't really be a NEW car buyer, at all. Such people should buy USED. That way, all the problems are "known" and they can afford to handle the cost issues. If someone can't handle the cost associated with new car gremlins, then they should buy used. That is the smarter way to go financially.

When people talk about not buying a first-year model and waiting, they put ZERO value on the joy that a person gets owning that new car (and not waiting). To be honest, they should include SOME value for the joy of owning the new car.
If this helps one sleep at night for buying a lemon but also being first +100000000000

however word to the wise, and those who prefer actually owning a working a vehicle to actually enjoy, wait for the 2nd model year. The value of owning a better revision is priceless. I would ask those people in those exact threads about their troubles how much "fun and enjoyment" there having running around with intermediate bugs that cannot be replicated at the dealership, troubles, documenting everything with VCNA, dealership service advisors, and worst comes to worst spending countless hours to push for a replacement vehicle. Its not exactly fun by any means.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Traded-in a 2015 XC70 for the XC90 - couldn't be happier! Have had no problems with it, unlike a few others here, and am thrilled to be able to drive around comfortably (and safely) with my wife, son, daughter-in-law, and two grandkids!
The XC70 (have owned a 2004, 2005, 2010, and 2015) is a great vehicle but couldn't hold all of us for a family outing since the addition of the second grandchild.
Wow - how much did you get for the trade-in of the 2015?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
however word to the wise, and those who prefer actually owning a working a vehicle to actually enjoy, wait for the 2nd model year. The value of owning a better revision is priceless. I would ask those people in those exact threads about their troubles how much "fun and enjoyment" there having running around with intermediate bugs that cannot be replicated at the dealership, troubles, documenting everything with VCNA, dealership service advisors, and worst comes to worst spending countless hours to push for a replacement vehicle. Its not exactly fun by any means.
What % of new xc90 have such an experience? 1%? 5%?

So, no, you don't only ask the folks who had the worst experience. You consider the likelihood that you will have the experience. There are plenty of overjoyed XC90 owners, and that joy has a VALUE.

I agree 100% that it would suck if you got one of the cars that has more issues than the average. (and it would NOT outweigh whatever 'joy' I got from driving my new car over my old car.) But that also happens with every single model year of a car. No model year is trouble free.

·
Banned
763 Posts
1) When did a bimmer or MB become a more "reliable" brand. I thought those rank the highest in time spent at dealership on 1st year models due to the amount of pioneering tech.
2) No one is waiting a couple years for Volvo or any carmake to iron out bugs. That just means you personally (not you but the person who makes the "wait a couple years" statement) is not really serious in purchasing in the first place.
3) The idea here is don`t be first inline to help any automaker gather some real world test data to implement changes into their production line. Usually the 2nd year offers a product substantially more well sorted.

If this helps one sleep at night for buying a lemon but also being first +100000000000

Everything this guy said. Nothing wrong with buying new, but it's understandable that a lot of folks don't want to be crash test dummies with a new generation, new engine, new drivetrain, new electronics, etc.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah...go ahead and wait and get that `17.... with the price increase. It'll make the resell value a little better for us "crash test dummies.":rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
What % of new xc90 have such an experience? 1%? 5%?

So, no, you don't only ask the folks who had the worst experience. You consider the likelihood that you will have the experience. There are plenty of overjoyed XC90 owners, and that joy has a VALUE.

I agree 100% that it would suck if you got one of the cars that has more issues than the average. (and it would NOT outweigh whatever 'joy' I got from driving my new car over my old car.) But that also happens with every single model year of a car. No model year is trouble free.
I agree that the likelihood is a valid point. However 1-5% are random numbers to me. The vocal nature of the threads posted here speak more then some arbitrary number. This is the case with any automaker and forum threads. Usually in the first year, the number of problem threads reaches a peak value. However the following year its basically nil. To me that indicates whatever glaring issues are affecting a vehicle line probably are resolved by start of the second MY. These are threads posted by people who are overjoyed regardless of the experience they have had. This trend also continues when these same first year model vehicles are acquired by their second owner, who comes to the thread to post some serious issue they have had to deal with it that probably isnt an issue with later production models.

Again it comes down a lot of factors that the individual owner holds of value. If the joy of a new car can overshadow underlying issues then power to ya. if those issues are taking away time from more important events then that is something to consider

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah...go ahead and wait and get that `17.... with the price increase. It'll make the resell value a little better for us "crash test dummies.":rolleyes:
resell value wont change for a older model lol Might drop actually with the added goodies each new model year brings LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Judging from the prices of XC90s over time in the 1st gen, I wouldn't bet on it.
I really do derive some comfort that most people's new car seems to work most of the time. Volvo needs to get this right and needs to communicate better with their dealers and customers. I for one hope the end of November fixes most of their issues. All we have at this time is a little flyer in our glovebox and hope.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Don't listen to "IIHS". He's just a non-Volvo-owning troll, looking to criticize Volvo at every little opportunity he has.

He evidently owns a crappy Toyota, which has 2 models, which STILL have a "marginal" grade on the 'small overlap crash test'.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts