SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '12 S60 T5 is down right cheap...and no "Dino" oil for me...and other "off-topic" postings!

Visited my Volvo Dealership for the 7,500 mile service today...I had them upgrade the oil to Mobile 1 full synthetic...borrowed a loaner car free of charge for the day...and when I returned to pickup my vehicle...it had been washed & vacuumed!

Total cost including the upgrade oil...was $24.56...NOW THAT'S DOWN RIGHT CHEAP!!!;)

FYI...I change my oil with synthetic every 4,500 miles...probably a waste of money...but I'm in a hot climate...with mainly urban stop & go driving!

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you had gone for regular oil, it would have been free ;)

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
If you had gone for regular oil, it would have been free ;)
He knows better than to use dino in a turbo; especially at 7500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with using dino oil with a turbo. It's the change interval that's more important, assuming normal driving conditions, and with 6 quarts in the sump (on the T5) even that can be longer. I'm using dino now but changing in between the 7500 miles scheduled maintenance program, so at 3750, which is a overkill. But with 6 quarts I would be comfortable with 5k intervals which is what Ill be doing after SNS.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Dino breaks down at a lower temp Synthetic breaks down at a much higher temp. Turbos produce higher temps, ergo you should use Synthetic with Turbos.

Congrats on being the only guy using the wrong oil and feeling good about it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DINO OIL=SLUDGE...

The lead tech at my Volvo Store has indicated he's encountering sludge residue in Volvo's that are not using synthetic oil...even if they change oil every 5,000 miles...he has always been puzzled by Volvo's decision not to recommend synthetic for their turbo engines...Porsche...Mercedes...BMW...Ferrari....all recommend synthetic oil!

I'm sure "Dino Oil" is satisfactory...but synthetic offers better protection in stop and go driving conditions...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Congrats on being the only guy using the wrong oil and feeling good about it.
Ridiculous statement! I'm use the exact same oil recommended by Volvo and so is every other guy using Volvo dealers for service.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with using dino oil with a turbo. It's the change interval that's more important, assuming normal driving conditions, and with 6 quarts in the sump (on the T5) even that can be longer. I'm using dino now but changing in between the 7500 miles scheduled maintenance program, so at 3750, which is a overkill. But with 6 quarts I would be comfortable with 5k intervals which is what Ill be doing after SNS.
He knows better, you don't
I use Mobil 1 with 4-4500 mile changes and at 100K miles my engine is as clean as a whistle
I've had plenty of cars lately that have had religous 7500 mi oil changes and the breather system was totally clogged up at 100K

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Ridiculous statement! I'm use the exact same oil recommended by Volvo and so is every other guy using Volvo dealers for service.
Yes, designed to go to the end of the warranty but if you plan to keep your car past 100K....look out!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
At 200k my internals look brand new, put down 310hp and have almost zero oil consumption.

Castrol Edge + AutoRX + 5000km changes.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yes, designed to go to the end of the warranty but if you plan to keep your car past 100K....look out!
Exactly.

Don't forget Volvo is paying for the regular oil, so they're obviously not going to use synthetic. The warranty ends and the engine is just fine. BMW does a similar thing with their service intervals. On my '06 X5, the service indicator determines the oil conditions based on driving habits, etc.. It can go up to 14k miles before telling you that it's time for the scheduled free BMW maintenance. Any shop will tell you that the recent BMW engines ALL have major sludge buildup by the time they hit 100k - if you're smart, you do it on your own between intervals - with synthetic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is an old argument...and a fun one at that...bottom line...it's hard to prove keeping synthetic oil in your crankcase will make your engine last longer...and let's face it...most trade their vehicle long before the shelf-life of their motor comes in to play...but synthetic offers the best possible solution for a sludge free motor over a long period of time...technologically...it's a more advanced product...it cost more...and offers enhanced lubrication properties!

So...it's a grade above "Dino Oil"...and a personal preference in your VOLVO...but standard issue in BENTLEY...BMW...PORSCHE...MERCEDES...FERRARI...MASERATI...CHEVY CORVETTE ZR1...and a host of other premium vehicles!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I bet you fill it with 87....

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Don't forget Volvo is paying for the regular oil, so they're obviously not going to use synthetic. The warranty ends and the engine is just fine. BMW does a similar thing with their service intervals. On my '06 X5, the service indicator determines the oil conditions based on driving habits, etc.. It can go up to 14k miles before telling you that it's time for the scheduled free BMW maintenance. Any shop will tell you that the recent BMW engines ALL have major sludge buildup by the time they hit 100k - if you're smart, you do it on your own between intervals - with synthetic.
It is downright scary that BMW sticks with these intervals on what has become a mostly turbocharged (some multiple) engine lineup. Then again, maybe that's why they sealed the crankcase.............so you aren't able to see the sludged oil?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It is downright scary that BMW sticks with these intervals on what has become a mostly turbocharged (some multiple) engine lineup. Then again, maybe that's why they sealed the crankcase.............so you aren't able to see the sludged oil?
Scary is right - I would not touch a pre-owned BMW that followed the "proper" maintenance schedule.

A few years ago, Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, and others were all offering free maintenance, just like BMW today. Most dropped it as the costs were out of control, except for BMW. They fitted their cars with these variable indicators, and have done in-depth testing on the limits of the engine within the plausible extended warranty period. I'd rather pay less for my car and operate on my own maintenance schedule. Just another gimmick to sell cars, really...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
He knows better, you don't
I use Mobil 1 with 4-4500 mile changes and at 100K miles my engine is as clean as a whistle
I've had plenty of cars lately that have had religous 7500 mi oil changes and the breather system was totally clogged up at 100K
My car has had its oil and filters changed, religiously, every 7,500 miles and the engine is perfect, barely uses any oil (I have to look closely at the dip-stick to even make a determination if it is lower from full, by a smidgen). Breather system clean as a whistle.

I know of countless Volvos with a 5-cyl engine that have used regular oil at 5K and 7K intervals and have gotten a couple of hundred thousand of miles of service with no issues.

Yes, I would definitely recommend using synthetic oil with a turbo just to be sure especially if the car is modded or is used for towing and/or is driven hard or idles at prolonged intervals. However, regular oil changes between 5K and 7K miles should be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Please...

·
Registered
125 Posts
yeah I plan at every service interval to go full synthetic just in case but not in between intervals that just sounds like a waste of money

1 - 20 of 49 Posts