SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my SR for a full year now. I traveled just over 9000 miles and have been grinning most of the way. Living in the North East the car sees plenty of wet weather and handles it better than all previously owned vehicles. The looks inside and out are still great even for today's standards. Many people I run into think the car is no older then 2008. Although I feel the paint shows its age.

The R is over 7 years old so it has not been a worry free year of ownership. I purchased the car as-is with 90k so DIY is how I roll. Within the first three weeks after purchase I got a CEL. The dealership diagnosed for free but wanted stupid $ to fix (thermostat failure). I took care of the issue myself for much less.

About a month later the O-ring on the CAP blew out. Easy fix. At this point I upgraded the hot side rubber with silicone and turbo intake pipe with IPD and SNABB respectively. Did new plugs and a fuel filter as well. Realized some crisper throttle response.

No sooner did I finish these little upgrades when the front left wheel bearing failed. This was a difficult job as the CV splines were installed with Locktite into the bearing hubs. Had to use heat and an air hammer to remove them. I took the opportunity to upgrade the brake rotors and pads with R1 concepts slotted and drilled discs and in install some 5mm spacers with an 18" wheel upgrade. The wheels leave much to be desired and I plan on converting these over to a winter set. I will be in the hunt for summer wheels over the coming months.

Next was a shift kit install using the SNABB kit with a new weighted shift knob, great mod.

Then the IPD cat-back and OBX downpipe was a fun and rewarding upgrade followed by a Prosports EVO Boost gauge install. I'm currently looking for a more sleek gauge pod as this one has become intrusive over the past few months. I like the dash location but I will be finding a smaller solution or creating my own over the winter.

Of course the AWD failed. Probably a result of age and my more spirited driving. The spline coupler was stripped. Thanks to VIVA for the parts and assistance. The job was very easy compared to many of the SS horror stories.

Then came some very loud and terrible noise from the front end. Found a broken spring seat on the right side. So I replaced the seats and mounts which freshened up the feel very nicely.

Funny thing about this job, I was checking the hardware about a week after it was done to make sure everything was still tight and when I lowered the car back to the ground a large amount of coolant dumped on the floor. The factory radiator split at the plastic seam. After a week of research, much of it here, I purchased an aluminum radiator from Winner Racing. Not the best of quality. Mounts needed lots for work to fit and the welds were ok but not great. The end tanks were much bigger then the stock so fitment was very tight. For an extra $60 I got Samco silicone hoses with the radiator of which the lower hose was perfect. But the upper hose seemed short which makes the hose rub on the power steering line. Overall I give Winner Racing a C+ B-.

During the radiator job I discovered a wear hole in the factory throttle pipe (wondering why I was only seeing 11 to 12 psi). The IPD version was just released so I ordered one up. Nice fit and good quality (seeing 16 with 19 psi spikes). Need a tune.

Over the past year I have shredded plenty of knuckles on my R. I don't see an end to this right now and I could not be happier with the caR. :D

Di-NOC touches here and there, both inside and out.

This brings me to today's parts orders. I ordered timing belt kit, serp belt and tensioner and top motor mount from IPD. HD endlinks from FCP. New Maxogen air filter from ITG. Eibach springs new from a fellow SS member.

And enough parts for a custom FMIC install:
Siliconeintakes.com aka Frozen Boost.
------------------------------------------------------
2 x T-Bolt Clamp for 3.0" Silicone Parts (CLA000104) = $5.20
1 x 3.0" Silicone Straight Coupler, Blue (SIL000604) = $6.99
1 x 1' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90° Bend, 3.0" (SIL000294) = $14.99
1 x Intercooler - 31"x11.75"x3" - 2.5" Inlet/Outlet (Type 1)
(INT000201) = $149.99
1 x 2.5" Silicone 60° Elbow, Blue (SIL000188) = $16.99
2 x 2.5" Silicone 90° Elbow, Blue (SIL000002) = $33.98
2 x 1' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90° Bend, 2.5" (SIL000292) = $23.98
6 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.5" Silicone Parts (CLA000102) = $15.60
1 x 2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90° Bend, 2.5" (SIL000698) = $16.99
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $284.71

I'm going on vacation in a week and at the same time my wife starts the fall semester so I will be in DIY heaven. I will see about getting some pics of the installs. I truly cannot wait for the springs. ;)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Looks great! Good job of making it "your own" with your mods. I started modding mine at 60k miles and it looks and feels like a different (and better) caR now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The next couple of weeks are going to be killer busy working on the R. I'll update the thread accordingly.:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Springs and links came in. Spent 4.5 hours last night doing the install + oil change. The Eibachs dropped the R down about an inch so far. I feel it will settle down just a bit more.

Before

After

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More goodies arrived today.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another piece of the FMIC project is complete. Should be a busy weekend.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Awesome work so far.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I jumped the gun and did the FMIC install last night. Took about 6 hours not including cleanup time. The coldside was very easy but the AC dryer on the hot side was nearly impossible to work with. It was an afterthought but I should have swapped the AC condenser for an 05' or later version. Sorry I don't have great pics of the install as I was a one man show last night.

Thanks to the guys at ME Fab for the work on the BPS bung. It was a perfect setup.

The ITG filter is freakin' huge but in comparison to the many other performance filters on the market I feel ITG has a narrower margin between flow and filtration. Plus it's very light weight, almost crazy light. I think I'm going to install an elbow to bring the filter closer to the fender and possibly create a barrier but not sure if this will be necessary.

I took the car on a test run last night, about 25 miles. Did not do any WOT pulls but I can tell the spool up time has dropped and power curve is much smoother. It was killer when I got home I popped the hood to double check sh*t and the coldside piping was chill to the touch. Overall a success.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice mods, but im really not feeling the wheels. The pegs look much better.
I agree but two of my stock pegs were bent when I got the car, they all had more rash the a street luge accident and the tires were spent. While I was looking to replace the tires I stumbled across these with good treads for a nice price from a local SS member. These will be relegated to winter duty this year.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Nice mods...I'm in Freeport. We need to meet up sometime.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Year Two Review and Mods

I figured it's time to update this thread since I'm coming up on my 2nd anniversary of R ownership.

This year was busy with maintenance just like the first. I replaced the timing/serp belts, both tensioners, idler and waterpump. Also plugs and HD coil packs. Replaced the coolant expansion tank and sensor.

There are a couple of XC90 parts in the box as well.

Cosmetically there have been some changes. Picking up a VST style lip from a fellow SS member this weekend.

Added the rear valance from the factory sport kit, tips and tint. Tips are too big.

Got into some detailing this spring with a Pinnacle clay bar, Wolfgang swirl remover and glaze then two stages of wax using Dodo Juice Purple Haze (soft) and Blue Velvet (hard).

Finally got around to replacing that huge gauge pod.

Went from Mt. Everest....

to Johnny 5...

to this less invasive, lower profile pod.

Did a custom CAP with 2.5 pipes, silicone and IPD adapter. Then painted the engine covers with high temp enamel.

I installed the Elevate turbosmart CBV and ARD's new TCV in preparation for this:

Carbon Tune

At first the boost was very aggressive. I was watching the boost hit 23psi before even reaching 4500 RPM. So after checking, double checking... triple checking the CBV and TCV lines I found a post MAF vac leak on the inlet pipe.

I also found the WG was set at 7psi. I believe this was the factory setting as the car was bone stock when I purchased it. I could be wrong.

After consulting with Lucky I set the WG to 3.5 psi. Boost topped out at 8. after adjusting one psi at a time then down to .5 at a time I found the sweet spot at just over 5.5psi for the WG. I see a solid 19 psi and the butt dyno loves the R again.:D:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks awesome! I need to get out and give my car a good detail because yours is putting mine to shame at the moment!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Love what you have done. Very clean. Now just a new set of wheels and this R will be right!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love what you have done. Very clean. Now just a new set of wheels and this R will be right!
Trust me, not a day goes by without me looking for a wheel set.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do like these a lot but still holding out for a 19". Wheel shopping drives me :screwy:

Going to meet Bip this Friday as he is only 30 min north of me. Seeing these in person might sway me back to 18's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts