SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2012 XC60 T6 (USA). One simple thing that bothers me is that if I mute the sound (radio, CD, XM, anything), then turn off the engine, it will not be muted when I turn on the car. This is troublesome because you actually have to turn off the stereo completely to have it muted when turning on the car, or turn the volume all the way down.

I think mute should stay on until I turn it off myself. What do you think?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Been a while since I had a car with a mute button, but this is the way they all behaved (i.e. effectively reset to on with an engine restart). What I would really like is a feature that turns it down after my wife has been driving and rocking out so I don't get blasted when I first start it! LOL!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did you realize with your Sensus equipped car, if you press and hold the "mute" button, you are not only turning off your stereo, you're shutting down the Bluetooth system too.. I think if you want the radio volume down, adjust your volume down, that low setting will persist betweens sessions in the car. The radio volume being low, won't affect your bluetooth volume.

Remember, if you let a teenager drive you car the volume gets cranked up! You're in for a shock volume and music wise!
Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I realized turning Sensus off shuts down Bluetooth and all of that, which I don't want. I do know too that turning down the volume will work too, it's just that I think it would be a great feature if I mute, it stays mute until I tell it not to.

cab... My buddy just purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ. It's quite nice. I love going through menus of techno devices. As I was doing it with his new car, it has the option that lets you set the maximum volume the music will be at once you turn on the car, regardless of what it was when it was turned off.

cab, this is exactly what you wanted too.... it's just on a car that's less than half the price of our XC60s! haha Volvo should take note and add this to Sensus!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Been a while since I had a car with a mute button, but this is the way they all behaved (i.e. effectively reset to on with an engine restart). What I would really like is a feature that turns it down after my wife has been driving and rocking out so I don't get blasted when I first start it! LOL!
WAIT!!! Has MY wife been driving YOUR car?!!?!? When she leaves it on Sinatra or oldies, it's not too bad; but when you start the car to a blaring Broadway show tune...Holy Macanoli!!! :)

I'm surprised if Sensus doesn't offer a 'personal setting' that would cap the volume on start-up. Our Lexus had that in '06 .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with the original poster.
The problem is that this button is overloaded - it is used for both "mute" and for "music off".
I can agree that "mute" should not persist after an engine restart, but "music off" should persist.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2012 XC60 T6 (USA). One simple thing that bothers me is that if I mute the sound (radio, CD, XM, anything), then turn off the engine, it will not be muted when I turn on the car. This is troublesome because you actually have to turn off the stereo completely to have it muted when turning on the car, or turn the volume all the way down.

I think mute should stay on until I turn it off myself. What do you think?
If you mute a television set, then turn it off, come back later and turn it back on the mute has reset to volume. I think that is standard in all electronic devices regardless of their nature (luxury car or luxury tv). However, it you have turned the VOLUME to a certain decibel, it should hold, I agree, regardless of being turned off and on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My work arround is to mute by switching over to another source (for example Aux). This can be done by one button push and will mute the audio. When you want to listen to the radio again, just push the radio button.

It is really strange that so little remarks are placed on this topic here as it is applicable for all SENSUS users and quite annoying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Muting the radio

I use the alternate input to turn off the radio when I want peace but want my bluetooth to work. Hopefully someone at Volvo monitors this forum and maybe they will include in future updates. Does anyone know an email address to send suggestions to. I have a list of 5 or 6. It was 8 but the latest update fixed several of my previous complaints.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My main concern is that I don't want the radio to turn on when I turn the car on, since I have passengers occassionally that do not want to hear the noise. I do not want to turn Sensus off entirely before I turn off the engine because then it will take a long time for it to turn back on. I inquired at my dealership and they said there is no way to set that up. I think thats strange because sensus remembers the setting of the radio station, media, and volume

·
Registered
27 Posts
My main concern is that I don't want the radio to turn on when I turn the car on, since I have passengers occassionally that do not want to hear the noise. I do not want to turn Sensus off entirely before I turn off the engine because then it will take a long time for it to turn back on. I inquired at my dealership and they said there is no way to set that up. I think thats strange because sensus remembers the setting of the radio station, media, and volume
I have exactly the same problem with my MY12 UK spec V60. The word 'mute' is wrong in this instance. If I want the sound off, but still want to use nav and bluetooth then I should be able to press a button to turn the sound off without shutting the whole system down. It shut then stay off until I choose otherwise.
On my Audi Q7 you press the volume knob in and the sound stays off until you press the button again or twist the dial. Sensible and simple.

Perhaps Sensus 3.0 has addressed this issue? I haven't had mine upgraded yet.
The only other way to shut the sound off is to 'dial' the volume to zero. This also pauses whatever is connected to your USB connection i.e. Ipod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have noticed that volume settings are recalled when the engine is turned on. This means that if you lower the volume to zero by turning the volume control to the left that the setting will be remembered when the engine is turned on. So I solved this problem. Although I still think its a bit weird that the volume of zero is remembered but Mute is not . One would think that software wise that mute would be semantically equivalent to a volume of zero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts