SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was checking the engine of my T5R and noticed that the coolant reservoir had turned dark, very dark and murky. I use the Volvo coolant and last time it was changed was last summer. Last time I looked the coolant was bright green.
All I can think of now is - water pump?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Murky coolant (Rollin Olin)

Hmmmm, cooling system can mix with oil when there is a bad head gasket, and I reckon visa versa. You would see a sheen of oil in the overflow bottle along with some murk.

Hope this isn't the case!

Not sure why a bad waterpump would do this unless it was badly rusted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Murky coolant (guidowitz)

Do a block test to see if there are any exhaust gases in the coolant...if so chances are you have a blown head gasket.... also check to see if the engine oil looks like milk shake

·
Registered
354 Posts

I had Volvo do an antifreeze flush and change last summer, and the fresh coolant they used was a dark brownish green instead of the day-glo green I was used to. Apparently they changed coolants, and their new product looks like it needs to be changed as soon as it's put in, though it's perfectly good.

So, just to be sure - are you sure that your observation of bright green coolant was after the change, or might it be your recollection from before the change, and you have the same "new" coolant that I have?

·
Registered
22 Posts

The question is,is there oil in your coolant?

If yes,prob. the oilcooler wich sits inside the radiator,so a new rad. is required.

Head gaskets don't blow with the 850's normaly,it's rare.

gr,walter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.