SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today was the first day i used regular gas on my S40 T5. i have it tuned for 93 octane but i wanted to start using regular cause of the gas prices. could that have caused the misfire? i dont want to sound stupid

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I had a similar issue very recently for the first time ever. Though I didn't use reg gas. Just my typical 93.
You would not happened to have used some Chevron Techron injector cleaner by any chance?

I realized that when it happened to me (twice few days apart) my tank was low and I had used some Chevron Techron on the last fill prior.
I think I made the mistake to pour it first in an almost empty tank and it may have stayed more concentrated at the bottom of the fuel tank.
It has not done it again since I refilled my tank with gas.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i never used any injector cleaners at all. this is how it all happened...my gas was extremely low, so i went and filled it with regular. which was the first times ever using regular. then i went acrossed the street to pick something up. and my car sat for about 30 mins. then when i left i pulled out of the parking lot and hit a red light, when i was sitting there i noticed a very very small idle drop and my check engine light came on. so i checked the codes when i got home and it said i had multiple cylinder misfire and then i had one code for each cylinder misfire 1-5. it hasnt happened since then though. seems to be running fine and ive put about 20 miles on it since it happened

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
my gas was extremely low, so i went and filled it
The low level is almost definitely the cause. The regular gas has nothing to do with it - a low level concentrates the gunk kicking around in the tank, and can introduce air bubbles, either of which will cause fuel supply issues and cause misfire. If the car runs fine, don't worry about it. If it continues, you may have some fuel pump damage or a clog. Unlikely.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks allot for your responses

1 - 5 of 5 Posts