SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I took Lola in for her Maryland State Inspection but she failed due to a rusting at the top layer of the muffler (and the rear exhaust hanger was rusted off) and I was quoted $490 for a new muffler. I was wondering if a muffler delete would be a lot cheaper? How does that even work? Would they fail Lola again due to having no muffler??

Sorry if I sound naive. All input is appreciated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
for five bills, just take it to a muffler shop, have them weld something in, it'll be about the same price and may sound bettar

·
Registered
50 Posts
Muffler delete is a BAD idea. Just replace the muffler with an aftermarket one at your local muffler shop.
Whats bad about it? I have a removed my muffler and installed a pipe, and my car feel better and sounds better.
OP, if you want I can take a video of it for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats bad about it? I have a removed my muffler and installed a pipe, and my car feel better and sounds better.
Oh YES. I would like a video.

Get a universal muffler from summit like a Borla and have an exhaust shop weld that in should be cheaper as a muffler only costs $90 or so

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40359

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I can order one and have them install it for me? (with obvious labor costs) Thats how that works? Im amazed :eek:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Oh YES. I would like a video.

I can order one and have them install it for me? (with obvious labor costs) Thats how that works? Im amazed :eek:
They may have to do a little fabrication pipe bending and what have you but it will be much less than 500 bucks

·
Registered
683 Posts
except that MD has some of the most obnoxious sound laws in the country, he may still not pass inspection due to dB

·
Registered
50 Posts
except that MD has some of the most obnoxious sound laws in the country, he may still not pass inspection due to dB
Well the law is not any less forgiving here, but I am prepared to reattach my factory muffler when the time comes, and instead of welding he could use Exhaust clamps, I heard they dont leak and they can make his life easier when switching to the factory muffler

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All,
Went and talked to my inspector this morning and he said I need a muffler. So I will probably check out some other universal mufflers and and hit the exhaust shop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a state inspector in Virginia and if you take off the exhaust completely you will pass here in Virginia and just later put something

·
Registered
684 Posts
My clamp fell off and I have no muffler for one day. I wad deaf when the day was done.

If you're ok with LOUD, do muffler delete.
If you want a different tone, change the muffler.
If you want OE quiet, get a OE muffler.

When I was younger, I thought open exhaust sounded good. Well, not anymore.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My clamp fell off and I have no muffler for one day. I wad deaf when the day was done.

If you're ok with LOUD, do muffler delete.
If you want a different tone, change the muffler.
If you want OE quiet, get a OE muffler.

When I was younger, I thought open exhaust sounded good. Well, not anymore.

With that being said, Im going to go for just a different muffler. I want loud but not "my neighbors hate me" loud. What is the size of the OE muffler? Like inlet/outlet? Or does that not matter for a universal muffler because it can just be welded to fit?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
With that being said, Im going to go for just a different muffler. I want loud but not "my neighbors hate me" loud. What is the size of the OE muffler? Like inlet/outlet? Or does that not matter for a universal muffler because it can just be welded to fit?
I believe stock is 2.5 inch inlet outlet but there is adapters pieces that can get you what you need. The one I posted is 3 inch inlet and outlet and seems to be what most aftermarket systems use as far as size

·
Registered
50 Posts
Weird, I've had my muffler delete for at-least 3 weeks now, sure it's loud but not as loud as you say, It's is not like a straight pipe, I'll be posting a video soon,I was just too busy eith work lately.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Local muffler shop quoted me $100 an hour for labor costs for installing a muffler. Is that a fair price or should I do a little more hunting?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sounds about right labor wise because they may have to weld and do some pipe bending. I doubt it will take more than an hour for a muffler though

·
Registered
50 Posts
As promised here is the video I know it's not long enough but it gives you a rough idea.
And yes the car was warmed up when I revved it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts