SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've already got the JRL mod done to my car with the resonator delete, but I'm looking for something a little more aggressive that'll snarl, gurgle and pop back at you haha but at the same time I'm not into paying $1000+ for an exhaust system. How do you guys think a muffler delete would sound without the resonator in? Couldn't find any topics or videos on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that doesn't sound bad at all!

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I was to take my caR to a shop and ask them to "replace everything from the cat back with a straight pipe," how much should I expect to spend? Ballpark? Can't imagine it'd be more than a few hundred dollars?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A muffler delete should be around $60 I believe.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So maybe I'm an oldey in my young years here but the VR I bought came with an A/M downpipe, stock res and straight pipes. It popped, banged, and was badass, but after taking it on long drives I found it to be rather loud/droney. At least loud enough that I'd have trouble talking to people in the backseat. I went back to the stock muffler and deleted the res, but now I wish it was just a bit louder...so I understand the struggle lol.

But I suppose its all relative and depends on what you'll be using the car for.

Just my 2c. Hope that helps ya make an educated decision.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So maybe I'm an oldey in my young years here but the VR I bought came with an A/M downpipe, stock res and straight pipes. It popped, banged, and was badass, but after taking it on long drives I found it to be rather loud/droney. At least loud enough that I'd have trouble talking to people in the backseat. I went back to the stock muffler and deleted the res, but now I wish it was just a bit louder...so I understand the struggle lol.

But I suppose its all relative and depends on what you'll be using the car for.

Just my 2c. Hope that helps ya make an educated decision.
Yeah I heard the v70 has more drone because of the open cabin. What kind of downpipe were you running?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Still running the Svenske downpipe the PO put on the car. Yeah I forgot about the cabin-resonance effect of the VR, maybe that was why it was too much after a little bit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That affordable, huh? Does ridding the system of a muffler and resonator have any adverse affects on the engine or back pressure?
Not too sure about that one.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
When I see how the peak power band trumpet factor of my new EST exhaust tries to rattle my sedan I can see why wagons would have even more issues without the resonators due to all the extra glass and cabin exposed bodywork near the exhaust outlet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I see how the peak power band trumpet factor of my new EST exhaust tries to rattle my sedan I can see why wagons would have even more issues without the resonators due to all the extra glass and cabin exposed bodywork near the exhaust outlet.
I have an est sport waiting for me to install it when I get home, and from a little searching it looks like I'll need to do some insulating. Hopefully not though. Not anticipating it to be as loud as the straight pipes.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't wait to do my muffler delete tomorrow morning

·
Registered
575 Posts
Let us know the results of your acoustic exhaust endeavor.
Im interested in what your thoughts of the sound level are compared to my old man tolerance levels.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let us know the results of your acoustic exhaust endeavor.
Im interested in what your thoughts of the sound level are compared to my old man tolerance levels.
Haha will do. I'll take a couple video clips and post them tomorrow morning

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dont do it. spend the $150 and get an obx downpipe. it sounds great with stock cat back, not to mention the performance gain.
Obx dp is catless. I can't have that in my state. And I don't want to deal with the smell and issue of CELs or o2 spacers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts