SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be the first to admit I am a HUGE fan of mudguards and mudflaps, especially on AWD cars, but I'm torn on what to do with my new S40.
This car is a lot messier than my Civic ever was. I like the look of mudguards on these cars and would like to keep underside splashing to a minimum.

I understand the OEM plastic mudguards probably don't fit the R-Deisgn body kit without extensive modification. Trimming some notches maybe?
Are there any sort of alternatives?

Has anyone done urethane or rubber flaps on their car?
I'm afraid it might look too gaudy because this isn't exactly a rally car, but I'm curious if that might actually be a good option for me.
It would be nice if somebody made a good set of molded plastic ones for the R-Design trim pieces. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Car sits too low for mud flaps I think. Even on stock suspension you will rip something. But hey I wanna try now.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I put rally armor flaps on mine. Not an r-design but I live on a poor maintained dirt road & I like the rally look personally, for $20 you really cant go wrong. You can put them as high or low as you need to as they are cut to fit.

Mine scrape hard every time I pull out of my driveway on a massive bump and they don't break. The subaru guys will give you dirty looks though lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I have been looking at the Rally Armor universal set.
I have a set of Isuzu Rodeo rubber flaps meant for my Mitsubishi Starion project that I will use to mock-up flaps on teh S40. if I like the look, I will probably get the generic Rally Armor kit

@ 603, do you have any pictures of your car with the flaps?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I backed up my photos yesterday so I have none on my phone. Here is a decent shot but I'll get better ones tomorrow. Mine sit pretty low but you can do whatever like I said.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was gonna say... I knew S40s were tall but yours looks like a monster truck in that photo!! Wow!

Thanks for the pic, I think i will mount them a bit higher.
I'm saving the all-out rally car look for my Starion. it will have big floppy old school rubber & chain mudflaps, LOL
The S40 will have a classier OEM mudguard style which i might be able to achieve by tucking the RallyArmors in a little

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Rally Armor here... works perfect not a spot of dirt on the doors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what she said.
Oh my, looks like I'll need more than just a sway bar to tighten up that rear end!

@ V50R - Those looks awesome! Just what i was looking for! Thanks!
Are Rally Armor flaps more like hard plastic? Or are they more like a flexible rubber? It's hard to tell from pictures I usually see.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well when i think hard plastic i think something that cant be bent.

These are just regular old soft plastic the kind used to make the splash shields in the wheel wells.

They do flap around but not as much as the soft rubber ones, and they do bend when you catch them on stuff like parking curbs so for the 18$ spent off amazon i think they are awesome!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have OEM mud flaps for sale if you're interested.
If you are referring to the factory molded plastic mudguards, I really like those, but unfortunately they won't fit over the top of the R-Design body kit.
Unless they can be notched out to fit, but I doubt there is enough material to cut away.

@ V50R - Thanks, I think I will give the Rally Armor set a chance because they are so cheap. (especially compared to the pre-made kits they have which are crazy overpriced, lol)
For mounting them do you just drill holes in the mudflap where you want them and reuse the splash guard bolts for mounting?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts