SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a pic of an S40 with Mud Flaps?

Im not lowering. already get high centered as it is so dont mention it.

Just want to see how mud flaps look. I liked them on my lancer but that is more of a rally car to start with. Im just tired of all the splash and rocks flying but wanna keep the prestige of the Volvo

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
I do, though I lack good angled pics of them. Aldebaren's pics are better though.

They really help pull the car down, visually.

When you search, use google. SwedeSpeed's search feature is weak.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I hate mud flaps even if they're useful sometime . . . :p . . . just taste ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
To each his own :)

I personally like the rally look that it gives the car (though I NEVER drive off road or even gravel lots if I can help it, haha)

I picked up all four off Amazon for about $60 new, couldn't find any on classifieds or ebay at the time... Check the serial numbers too, the facelift mudflaps are often mistakenly listed as compatible with the 04.5-07.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mud flaps are useless on the car. I put a set on one side only and the side with the mud flaps got just as dirty as the side with out.

Most of the dirt and rocks are kept off the car by the neat deflectors on the bottom of the door. These appear to be a much better solution then mud flaps.

The mud flaps may keep more dirt off the first foot if the deflectors but seem to have no affect above them. Actually I felt the rear mud flaps threw more dirt in the low pressure area behind my v50 so more dirt on the rear window. They definitely did not help keep the rear window cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
No doubt, with the size of these things, they're just for looks. Dust and dirt will cover the side of the car either way.

Please note that Volvo did not originally market them as "Mud Flaps." Rather, they're called "Splash Guards." They'll stop the larger rocks and road debris and I have noticed that less water gets kicked up on the sides of the car after it rains. Though by no means will this prevent the car from getting dirty. Consider these like the 3M clear bra that goes on the sides of the car behind the wheel wells. It protects the first few inches from damage and that's about it.

There have been a few horror stories of people scraping their "mud flaps" and having them ripped off the car with the wheel well guard. It's a risk with anything that close to the ground though. My front ones are only about 2 inches off the ground (I'm lowered), so they've caught on a few things.... No damage though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Does anyone have the mudflap part numbers I'd need for my 2007 AWD? My Volvo dealer's website lists 6 different options that supposedly fit and I want to make sure they fit. From Tasca it looks like the rears I need are 8698146 but I don't have a clue which will work for the front.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Does anyone have the mudflap part numbers I'd need for my 2007 AWD? My Volvo dealer's website lists 6 different options that supposedly fit and I want to make sure they fit. From Tasca it looks like the rears I need are 8698146 but I don't have a clue which will work for the front.
MNIWT should know. I think he has them on his V50

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
One messy winter day while waiting for someone I watch the cars that drove by and you could see a huge difference on cars where the manufacturer has put on the lower door deflectors.

I tried temporary mud flaps on one side of my last car and in comparison they made no difference. I will never buy them again.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
Okay... So there are a few different options available based on years. The 2004.5-2007 S40 and V50 have fronts and rears. The 2008-2012 facelifted S40 and V50 use the same fronts but different rears. It is important to note that dynamic trim and R-design cannot use the stock mudflaps.
S40, V50, AWD, or FWD has nothing to do with compatibility.

On my S40, pictured above, I had stock mudflaps.
On my first V50, I had universal mudflaps that were cut to fit. They looked alright, protected more than stock, but didn't fit as nice as stock.
On my current V50, we have ridiculous rally armor mudflaps. Not very Euro sleek, but they fit the theme and they do a wonderful job of keeping the sides of the car clean.

Based on Tasca, FCP, and a few other parts sites (I can't find the part numbers from when I bought mine)...
For a 2007 S40, you'd want rear: 8698146, front: 30889627.

I'm 90% certain this is right. But a lot of sites do not have accurate compatibility listed. I would suggest ordering from a site that at least shows your 2007 listed as compatible. That way, if they don't fit, you can dispute it with them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for the info, MNIWT. Those seem like the right part numbers to me - I'll give it a shot.

What model of Rally Armour guards did you use, just out of curiosity? It looks like they are all vehicle specific. No Volvos listed - closest looks to be a Mazda 3?

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
What model of Rally Armour guards did you use, just out of curiosity? It looks like they are all vehicle specific. No Volvos listed - closest looks to be a Mazda 3?
I bought their universal kit. $25 shipped for all four, and you can cut them to whatever size you want.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
I was considering rally armour once. Did you get the plastic ones or the really expensive soft poly ones?
I got the plastic ones. I have a friend who put these on his SCCA rally car years ago and they still look great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts