SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have felt that my MT gearbox shifting is a little slower and harder to engange gears. So I asked the dealer to check the oil level and/or change it.

The mechanic's response was that this is a sealed unit and that it's oil is never supposed to be changed.

Is this rigth or should I look for another dealer?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (Jayam)

He's right there, sealed.
Where (and when) is your shifting "hard", all over the map, when it's cold, what?
The gearbox oil should have nothing to do with your problem but there is a TNN for a certain type of hard shifting

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (JRL)

There are two difficult shifts, from fist two second eventually and it does not matter if the gearbox is hot or cold. And the second one is going into reverse with a cold gearbox, I have to go to 3rd, then neutral and reverse. Even once the guys in the car detailer busted the trasmission cables from trying to get in reverse the forcefull way.
Luckily the repair was done under warranty.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

OK,
If you have problems going into reverse (and perhaps 1st) there is a TNN which the gearbox has to come out, the input shaft cleaned and sprayed with this special spray lubricant they supply.
This does work wonders and many (including me) have had this done.
If you dealer says he has no knowledge of it, get back to me and I'll dig up the TNN bulletin for it
Also remember that the shifter cables MUST be installed perfectly or you can also have the same problems you're having
JRL

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
Sealed.... I think not.... VADIS shows the location of the drain and fill plugs and gives a refill procedure using oil #1161745 (1 liter)
Give him that TNN about the removal of the trans, I lost it

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts

Volvo has been pretending for the last 15 years that transmissions do not benefit from changing oil
very crazy Gotenborg

Sealed with a Star Trek forcefield? Beem me up Lars

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
Volvo has been pretending for the last 15 years that transmissions do not benefit from changing oil
very crazy Gotenborg

You're right, it IS the stars.
When everythng is aligned properly the R shifts like butter WITH THE STOCK FLUID http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
very crazy Gotenborg

For the AT's maybe. The manual gearbox isn't "sealed". you can change the oil whenever you want. Drain and fill are on the driver side near the drive shaft.

AT's also can be flushed.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (Johann)

That is what I am saying space cake. Volvo tells people sealed and all of that and do not show trans flush as maintance schedule etc

Is it
or is it evil that Volvo says this and his dealer recently to so
times have not changed

·
Registered
89 Posts

Jayam,
I had your problem before, but to a greater extent. When my gearbox was cold, the car would not engage any gear. I would have to shut the car off, then get 3rd, then 4th, then reverse, then restart the car. To make a long story short, I got my input shaft lubed and now I can get any gear I want anytime...this fix really helped and will solve your problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (specialk1223)

Thanks everyone.

I'll talk to the service manager and see that they get their stuff right.

Sealed unit, ehh?

This is a great forum, let's keep it up.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (specialk1223)

Quote, originally posted by specialk1223 »
Jayam,
I had your problem before, but to a greater extent. When my gearbox was cold, the car would not engage any gear. I would have to shut the car off, then get 3rd, then 4th, then reverse, then restart the car. To make a long story short, I got my input shaft lubed and now I can get any gear I want anytime...this fix really helped and will solve your problem.

Which, as I said, your problem has nothing to do with the trans fluid, the above is probably your problem

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: MT Gearbox, sealed unit? (JRL)

Yes Jim, may be they don't have to change the oil, but certainly aligne cables and lubricate the input shaft. The input shaft is the one comming from the engine into the gearbox, right?

Do you recomend they do this after changing to poliurethane bushes? I'm wating on an order, so the alignement is done in the final position or is it the same?

Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.