SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a trip with light traffic from Portland to Tacoma on I5. Tires at 42 psi, 12 gallons of premium 92 octane with 10% ethanol.

I took some driving tips from ecomodder.com and put some things into practice. I averaged 72 mph the whole way there and registered 30.1 mpg in the S70 T5 with IPD stage 1 and cone filter.

On the way back, bolstered by this discovery, I drove even more careful and kept the same average, however I made sure to try and accelerate within -20 to -10 negative boost. Averaged 33.1 mpg by driving like a paranoid felon with a cop behind him for 150 miles. This figure was agreeable with the amount of gas I had left when i got home.

This was the highest I have ever experienced and thus I wanted to ask a question:

Though I know the computer is not very accurate...this seems high. Is it possible the 10% ethanol gas helped my car at that speed? Obviously driving tactic played a big factor...but surely it can't amount for that much.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
What kind of mileage do you get with 0% ETOH? In theory, you should get worse mileage with ETOH since there is less energy per volume than gasoline.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet tested none ethanol gas on a flat run with the same driving style. Ran up and over Mt. Hood with 92 octane and got 27.2 but I was not watching my acceleration as much.
Will be attending Timbers vs. Sounders in Seattle in a month...at which point, im going to drive up and watch my driving style...and then toss my girlfriend the keys, reset the computer and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts