SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got so excited about this yesterday that I have to post about it quick.

We were driving back from the OBX from our wedding (yes, phuz is now married!) with a car packed fuller than it has ever been. The first part of the trip is about 40-some miles of flat, sea-level, smooth road where I average 55-60mph. On this stretch, I was hitting 36-37mpg rock solid, and it never dipped below 33mpg. After that point, I was averaging 70-75mph on I-64, and I-95 until we hit the upper end of the Baltimore beltway and sat in a 3-mile backup for 30 minutes. After that, it was smooth sailing again. I filled the tank this morning to find a trip average of 29.2mpg.
I'm not sure if its the combo of the Autotech Tune/FMIC/DP or what, but this was quite awesome for a car that claims a 24mpg highway rating.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Matt, congrats! Saw the pics on FB, looks like you guys picked an awesome spot and at the right time.

·
6,436 Posts
congrats on the big day Matt!

..now...that MPG seems awfully high...do you have larger diamater tires installed or something?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
36-37 is a bit high, but with freer flowing exhaust/tune you can get better mpg IF you stay out of boost. You would have to baby it the entire way.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I must say, Giorgi's driving paid off as I drove about 400 miles on ROUGHLY 15 gallons of gasoline which would place me at around 26.66 MPG and that's with the ridiculous driving we were doing while in VT.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I must say, Giorgi's driving paid off as I drove about 400 miles on ROUGHLY 15 gallons of gasoline which would place me at around 26.66 MPG and that's with the ridiculous driving we were doing while in VT.
You were drafting me and I still averaged 25.6 mpg haha.

·
Super Moderator
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
36-37 is a bit high, but with freer flowing exhaust/tune you can get better mpg IF you stay out of boost. You would have to baby it the entire way.
I seriously think it has something to do with being at sea level. This isn't the first time I've seen those numbers. If I do that on roads back here in PA, I might see 29-30 under same conditions.
I'm very inclined to believe those numbers, especially with the way needle barely move off the full mark until after 45 miles. I had 270 miles on it before I hit the halfway, but pulling 29.2mpg for a full tank average is just awesome for this car.

congrats on the big day Matt!

..now...that MPG seems awfully high...do you have larger diamater tires installed or something?
Thanks!
Very high, but I'm running factory size. Smaller tires would actually make the reading go higher as you would have more revs/mile.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Matt, congrats on the big day!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I got so excited about this yesterday that I have to post about it quick.

We were driving back from the OBX from our wedding (yes, phuz is now married!) with a car packed fuller than it has ever been. The first part of the trip is about 40-some miles of flat, sea-level, smooth road where I average 55-60mph. On this stretch, I was hitting 36-37mpg rock solid, and it never dipped below 33mpg. After that point, I was averaging 70-75mph on I-64, and I-95 until we hit the upper end of the Baltimore beltway and sat in a 3-mile backup for 30 minutes. After that, it was smooth sailing again. I filled the tank this morning to find a trip average of 29.2mpg.
I'm not sure if its the combo of the Autotech Tune/FMIC/DP or what, but this was quite awesome for a car that claims a 24mpg highway rating.
Yea on my drive to OBX last year, fully stock I avg. about 23-25mpg which isn't bad at all. I did hit patches of road where I did go a little over the speed limit tho :D

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I got 29.2 mpgs drafting the both of yous lol

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wish my allroad could even touch that! :(
When I had my 2000 A6 2.7t 6speed, best i ever got was 23mpg for a tank. Man i miss that car. Best car i have ever owned.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
I get 33+ mpg when cruising at 65 on flat road now that I have Stage 3, got 31-32 mpg with stage 2.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Not if the company that does the tune can figure out proper fuel trim- that's why my 3.2NA VW gets 28MPG at 3600RPM and 83MPH, and my friend's tuned 2.0T gets ~40 HWY.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My wrangler which never gets above 17 mpg got 19-20ish going to and from OBX last week... It is amazing what those flat 55 mph roads will do for your gas mileage in NC

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
When you guys quote these MPG #s, are you just posting what the car's info-puter tells you or are you doing the math at fill-up at the pump?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
When you guys quote these MPG #s, are you just posting what the car's info-puter tells you or are you doing the math at fill-up at the pump?
I've calculated my MPG a few times manually and compared it to the computer on the R, and the 4 or 5 times I've done it, the computer was only off about .1-.2

Best I've gotten is 28-30mpg but that's at around 65-70mph. I get 24mpg with a 50/50 split city/highway driving, and I do have a 3" Phuzzy DP.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've calculated my MPG a few times manually and compared it to the computer on the R, and the 4 or 5 times I've done it, the computer was only off about .1-.2

Best I've gotten is 28-30mpg but that's at around 65-70mph. I get 24mpg with a 50/50 split city/highway driving, and I do have a 3" Phuzzy DP.
I see. The best I can get with my MT is about 24-25 mixed driving. Mostly about 20MPG. I'm accustomed to only doing the MPGs by the math at fill-up. This also in part due to the fact that I pretty much drive at 80-90mph most of the time.lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts