SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 V70R 6 speed with 180K miles. It has become quite expensive to maintain the last few years. I am considering replacing it, at my wife's urging. But every time I drive it, I say I can't get rid of this. I am currently researching replacements, online. I prefer to buy premium brands as CPO cars, and my last two cars (for myself) have been Volvo wagons. I think the Volvo that appears to be the best fit as a replacement would be a 2016 V60 T6 R Design (4 cylinder, 2.0 L). I have never driven any V60, let alone a T6 and would welcome comments from those familiar with my old car and the V60.
Thanks very much.
The other cars I am considering would be a BMW 3 Series wagon or 428i xDrive Gran Coupe, both 2016 as well. Again, any comments welcome.
Best wishes, John

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
Sure hope I can hang onto mine for a while. The only thing I would consider otherwise would be another wagon. Subscribed to see how this goes. I didn’t drive any t6 cars but that’s what I’d probably look for. Almost as rare and good solid torque, with the 2015.5 XC but if I found one and it had a color other than off white that would be the thing I’d snag. The v60s of that era are a major drop in cargo size. V70 is the one to stick with.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My dad has a 2016 XC90 R Design T6. It’s a nice, comfortable, refined car. Hasn’t been too bad maintenance wise at 75k miles so far. The one thing you’ll really miss though is the Rs driving experience. Every time my dad drives my vR, he always toys with the idea of selling the XC90 for a nice M66 vR, since it has 98% of the comfort, 250% of the fun, with 50% of the complexity and technology in the XC90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
I think the Volvo that appears to be the best fit as a replacement would be a 2016 V60 T6 R Design (4 cylinder, 2.0 L). I have never driven any V60, let alone a T6 and would welcome comments from those familiar with my old car and the V60.
I had a '05 V70R for 9 nine years before trading it two years ago. Owned that one at the same time that I had a series of P3 cars (see signature), ending with a '16 V60P. The P3 is a move forward in generations as one would expect so expect advances in tech, NVH, body structure, etc. The V60 is not a large vehicle so more of a sport hatch than a wagon so if cargo capacity is important then it may not be the car for you. I would also recommend taking a look at an RD with the older SI 6 motor and compare it to a 4 cylinder T6 if you can. MY16 was a changeover year from the six cylinder to the four cylinder in T6 guise. Very early model year RD's had the six. Biggest issue with the 6 however is that it is mated to a somewhat dated 6 speed transmission compared to the 4 cylinder's 8 speed, which is an improvement. Really need to drive both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the several responses.
I am not concerned about the reduced cargo capacity because we are now "empty nesters".
I want to avoid both the XC models and the CC version of the V60 because of the raised up nature of all of those. My priority is handling, and despite the relatively low clearance of the V70R, I very rarely had problems with the snow depth, despite living in NW Vermont, but I do want to continue to have AWD. My wife has an SUV, and since I am almost completely retired, I don't usually need to get out in a storm, and if I do, the odds are her car will be available.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Since I was forced to move from a S60R I found a BMW 328Xi GT. I couldn't be happier.
You should consider the 2 BMWs you mentioned as I think you would be surprised at the total difference in drive feel you will experience.
If you do like the look of the GT and can find one CPO, take a look. They have a ton of room in them and still feel agile driving.

GL with your search.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I went from 04 V70R M66 to a brand new 2017 VW Golf station wagon. 4motion and 6 speed. The last true manual AWD station wagon that you can buy new... There are still some new 2019s out there from what I see. The model line is being discontinued next year from what I hear. Although not as luxurious as the V, I haven't found any downsides yet.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I went from 04 V70R M66 to a brand new 2017 VW Golf station wagon. 4motion and 6 speed. The last true manual AWD station wagon that you can buy new... There are still some new 2019s out there from what I see. The model line is being discontinued next year from what I hear. Although not as luxurious as the V, I haven't found any downsides yet.
Perhaps if you went for the 250hp tune it may feel close to a 13 year old car (my 2006 V70R). I struggle with this daily as my girl with 187k miles on her is getting long in the tooth and it is getting more difficult and expensive to find replacement part for her, which is frustrating, but if I put half into her that a newer car would cost, I am certain she would go another 10 years and I would like the V70R more. Tough choice for sure.

OP, my wife has a 2016 428i xDrive Gran Coupe that she purchased this year with about 22k on it for $26k. Really nice car, but not as roomy as the VR for all the stuff I throw in it.

I really like the looks of the new V90CC but have not read a lot of good things about their reliability. :(

·
Registered
861 Posts
Perhaps if you went for the 250hp tune it may feel close to a 13 year old car (my 2006 V70R).
I'm not sure that would even compare to the R. I draw the line at 300 hp as the minimum for a new/replacement vehicle as I value power over other features of a vehicle. The wife bought a BMW M235i convertible as a replacement for the VR and it has slightly more horsepower (320) and with the 8 speed auto trans it has phenomenal acceleration, like leave the VR in the dust level. It is a bit lacking on interior room and cargo space, though.

Have not yet found a vehicle that would persuade me to give up the VR as I find most new offerings can't compare to the 13 year old vehicle that I currently drive.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you are OK with a small car, it's worth a test drive of a VW Golf R if you can find one. AWD, 300hp and lighter than the VR makes for a fun package. VW tried to upscale the interior but it still feels a lot less posh than the VR. Don't both driving any VW wagon - not enough power.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Perhaps if you went for the 250hp tune it may feel close to a 13 year old car (my 2006 V70R). I struggle with this daily as my girl with 187k miles on her is getting long in the tooth and it is getting more difficult and expensive to find replacement part for her, which is frustrating, but if I put half into her that a newer car would cost, I am certain she would go another 10 years and I would like the V70R more. Tough choice for sure.

OP, my wife has a 2016 428i xDrive Gran Coupe that she purchased this year with about 22k on it for $26k. Really nice car, but not as roomy as the VR for all the stuff I throw in it.

I really like the looks of the new V90CC but have not read a lot of good things about their reliability. :(
VW GSW factory power figures are 170 HP and 199 FTLBS. I have a Burger tuning JB piggyback that raises the figures to 200/235 respectively. With that said, GSW will not outrun VR in a straight line; however, VW weighs about 600 lbs less than the VR. With the factory 205 width tires, it handles comparably with the 17 inch pegs with 235s. I am getting a stinking suspicion that if I get a set of 17s with 235s, the GSW will be running circles around the VR. Add some springs and shocks, we are looking at GTI level handling.

I still miss the luxury features on the VR. As for the interior space, interestingly, the VR is only a hair larger than the VW. Two are definitely different, but the VW met my wagon fetish with AWD and 3 pedals without sacrificing a lot of fun factor. Not to mention that it comes with a warranty and has been trouble free for the past 35,000 miles. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
VW GSW factory power figures are 170 HP and 199 FTLBS. I have a Burger tuning JB piggyback that raises the figures to 200/235 respectively. With that said, GSW will not outrun VR in a straight line; however, VW weighs about 600 lbs less than the VR. With the factory 205 width tires, it handles comparably with the 17 inch pegs with 235s. I am getting a stinking suspicion that if I get a set of 17s with 235s, the GSW will be running circles around the VR. Add some springs and shocks, we are looking at GTI level handling.

I still miss the luxury features on the VR. As for the interior space, interestingly, the VR is only a hair larger than the VW. Two are definitely different, but the VW met my wagon fetish with AWD and 3 pedals without sacrificing a lot of fun factor. Not to mention that it comes with a warranty and has been trouble free for the past 35,000 miles. My 2 cents.
+1, I'm pleased with my GSW TDI. It by no means is even half as fast as my R, and it doesn't have quite the cargo space as a P2 V70. However, having a manual turbo wagon fulfills that itch all car guy's get. **knock on wood** mine's been so trouble free for 25K that I'm considering voiding the glorious dieselgate warranty and tuning it. Just a flash gets an increase of 50WHP, 100Lb-ft of torque AND 5 or 6 MPG HIGHER. I have a feeling that and some springs will really transform this car for only ~$750. The Mrs. keeps reminding me I bought this car to be the reasonable daily though. haha

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'm not sure that would even compare to the R. I draw the line at 300 hp as the minimum for a new/replacement vehicle as I value power over other features of a vehicle. The wife bought a BMW M235i convertible as a replacement for the VR and it has slightly more horsepower (320) and with the 8 speed auto trans it has phenomenal acceleration, like leave the VR in the dust level. It is a bit lacking on interior room and cargo space, though.

Have not yet found a vehicle that would persuade me to give up the VR as I find most new offerings can't compare to the 13 year old vehicle that I currently drive.
Meh...with the garbage factory intercooler design, your R isn't making anywhere near 300hp if it's relatively warm outside. The wife's BMW kinda proves that. Not to mention a decade newer transmission and algorithms.

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
That’s wild. Why wouldn’t VW have done this as a stock setup??
Just a flash gets an increase of 50WHP, 100Lb-ft of torque AND 5 or 6 MPG HIGHER. I have a feeling that and some springs will really transform this car for only ~$750.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Meh...with the garbage factory intercooler design, your R isn't making anywhere near 300hp if it's relatively warm outside.
And if you started with a vehicle rated at less HP it would be much worse.

Anyway, not relevant as the factory garbage was replaced with a Snabb FMIC:
IMG_4192.jpg

Not to mention a decade newer transmission and algorithms.
No algorithms on my M66.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

My understanding is the flash mostly just hits undo on the dieselgate fix. The post fix cars like mine are really neutered to be able to pass the sniffer test with flying colors. I think even with the new tune, they're still cleaner than before the scandal.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts

‘Missions. Couldn’t cheat THAT brazenly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts