SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have my OSD scheduled for August 7th and am really excited about it. I put my order in a few months back at a Pennsylvania Dealer, but in the months since have decided to move to NJ. Estimated Settlement date is now September 2nd or so. My question is, where do I pay the taxes and registration for? I'd prefer NJ because taxes are 2% less, but set up the order when I lived in PA, but also I'm going to need to have the car registered and titled there anyone so I'd like to avoid double cost. Has anyone gone through something similar? When do I pay the taxes and registration, is that 30 days out of OSD or upon dealer deliver? Lastly can I have the car shipped to a different dealer now that I've moved? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Tax and registration is paid after car delivered at local dealer. You can choose to do it yourself so it is very flexible.

The car has to be delivered to the ordering dealer now. But it is not far away for your case.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes, that's all done after delivery. I ordered and received mine at a dealer in a different state (I live right near the border and they were closest). Once the car arrived at the dealer I just had them put 30-day temporary tags on it and I drove it over to the DMV office in my state. Paid the taxes and registration fee there and got my permanent license plate. Very easy -- you just bring all your paperwork (customs import forms, bill of sale, etc.). The international import forms will be sent to you by email from the import/customs firm when they send the vehicle on to your ordering dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great and Glad to hear it! I'm thinking the temporary tags would be the easiest solution and have that all taken care of in Jersey along with the taxes. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I can confirm the tax and tags are after you get home so you'll only pay once for NJ. In transit tags from PA aren't too expensive so that's probably your best bet. Most dealers can get out of state registration taken care of but it's through a third party and then you have to pay that extra fee as well, so might as well just take it in yourself. Just keep in mind the taxes will be coming out of pocket rather than financed unless you have the dealer cut you a check for the taxes and add the amount to the total financed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can confirm the tax and tags are after you get home so you'll only pay once for NJ. In transit tags from PA aren't too expensive so that's probably your best bet. Most dealers can get out of state registration taken care of but it's through a third party and then you have to pay that extra fee as well, so might as well just take it in yourself. Just keep in mind the taxes will be coming out of pocket rather than financed unless you have the dealer cut you a check for the taxes and add the amount to the total financed.
Awesome thanks for the info. I was planning on paying taxes/fees out of pocket anyway so that works!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts