SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be looking at an opportunity to take a position in Germany, in the outskirts of Munich for at least 2-3 years.
Anyone have the experience of moving their US spec cars back to Europe? What modifications were required?
I'm thinking at the very least I won't have the "You can't get parts for your Yankee car in Europe" problem.

Although most of the warranty is already gone on my car, the USA warranty booklet does explicitly state:
"Travel Outside of the U.S. and Canada
Should warranty repairs be required while you are
temporarily abroad, bring your Volvo to any authorized
Volvo retailer for repairs. These repairs will be
covered under the Volvo Cars of North America,
LLC. New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Volvo
Cars of Canada Corp. New Vehicle Warranty."

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Moving 2005 V70 from USA to Germany (apl175)

I have exported a few cars to Europe. It's easier the older the car is. You'll probably just need to change the headlights to e-code, pay customs (10%) and value added tax (I think that's 17% in Germany). Then you need a certificate from TUV before taking it to inspection. That'll cost about 1k to 2k euro. Shipping in a container is now about $2000.

EU countries have usually different regulations for cars that you bring with you when you move there. You may not need to pay the customs fees and it may be enough to show that the car is US-spec to register it. This varies by country but is a great loophole for importing cars there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Moving 2005 V70 from USA to Germany (Mika)

With all the beautiful cars they have there, and particulary cars vith good, fuel efficent and reliable diesel engines, I can't understand why some peoples want to bring theirs cars.

My opinion : sell your car, buy a Camaro, a Challenger, or an old Muscle car, and send it to Germany. After that, sell that car again, but at 2x the initial price. That's what I'll do if one day I got a chance to go there, work and live.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts