SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
'05 V50 T5 M66, '04 XC70, '98 V70 AWD, various junk from other brands
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but haven’t found much. I have a problem where mice are getting into the interior of my XC70, chewing paper in the glove box and sound deadening material in the back. I’ve tried taping over the holes where I thought they might be able to get in through the back bumper, but no luck. They don’t get into any other cars that park near it, including my V50 and my mom’s V60CC.
Is this an issue for more people than just me? How are they getting in, and how can I stop them from chewing up my service receipts and sound deadening?
TIA

· Registered
19,393 Posts
Put cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil around the car

· Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Mice are a pain, they can get in just about anywhere. Make sure there aren't any reasons for them to want to such as no crumbs and stuff. Then go through the car... they likely have a nest in there and you don't want them causing damage or making more of a mess. Then you'll need to set traps around to kill them off. Keep the garage clean and unwelcoming and keep the grass trimmed around the entrances. Basicaly make it as un mouse friendly an area as you can. I've heard the pepermint oil, but never tried it. Since it smells good and tis the season, seems like a no lose to try.

Reactions: V50_M66

· Registered
2018 XC90 R5 Momentum
286 Posts
i Have watch a YouTube channel “ Customer States What” about a NYC Tech at a Toyota dealership. He dealt with a lot of mice problems , the first place to look is the cabin filter and see what falls out. Search “CSW” for his Toyota experience,he now is with a Audi dealership. Perhaps a professional mice cleaning is what you need. The mice feces and urine as well as the wire chewing can ruin your vehicle. Auto insurance can cover mice related damage .

· Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Insurance claim might total it though.. fine if you're looking for a cheap parts car, but I don't think that's the goal here. That's the challenge with insurance on older cars that might not have gone up in value yet as collectable.

· Registered
898 Posts
Did a search but haven’t found much. I have a problem where mice are getting into the interior of my XC70, chewing paper in the glove box and sound deadening material in the back. I’ve tried taping over the holes where I thought they might be able to get in through the back bumper, but no luck. They don’t get into any other cars that park near it, including my V50 and my mom’s V60CC.
Is this an issue for more people than just me? How are they getting in, and how can I stop them from chewing up my service receipts and sound deadening?
TIA
I would trap them first, get the old fashion style trap, put the peanut butter on the underside of the bait lever. It forces the mouse to turn its head in an awkward position. I caught three mice in my Audi 5000, never an issue again. If the car is in a garage put traps all around in garage. Do NOT use the D-Con as they will die in your headliner etc, plus you want to know you caught one. I plug all holes with steel wool, rodents teeth get caught in it, they don’t like it. Growing up in a New England farmhouse I have battled mice for many years! Good luck!

Reactions: V50_M66

· Registered
1,041 Posts
This is from a 2015 XC60 under the left rear floor carpet.
The car would start and drive. It had major CEM communication codes with lots of modules.
CCM/Radio stack was dead to other inside Accessory stuff not working.
It took some time to find the problem. Repaired the chewed thru wires and all working now.
Why did the mice choose this location to make a nest and chew thru the wires.
Look at it this way, it gets them out of the garage.

Electrical wiring Cable Electric blue Wire Electrical supply

Electrical wiring Cable Computer hardware Technology Wire

Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part Automotive tire

· Registered
'05 V50 T5 M66, '04 XC70, '98 V70 AWD, various junk from other brands
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the good advice all. It gets mostly parked outside unless I’m in the middle of working on it, so I can’t exactly try to trap all of the mice out in nature. I will try the peppermint oil though - I’ll put the cotton balls inside the car in the spots they seem to like, as hopefully that will keep them out and as a bonus will make the car smell nice and festive.
I’ve gone through the car and there’s nothing in there that is attracting them. I think the P2 stuff just isn’t as well sealed up as the P1 and SPA cars that are also on the property. My old XC90 had traces of mouse in the interior too.
Certainly want to take care of this while the only damage is some chewed service records and before any wires get touched.
The steel wool is also a solid idea - is there anywhere specifically mice are known to get into the car, so I can target those holes and fill them with steel wool?

· Registered
248 Posts
Mice love wire as they lubricate the dies that it is pulled through with soy oil, or they did, they will chew it for this reason- I saw a six month old Audi written off for rodent damage to the wiring harnesses as the parts and labour were more than double the value, Mice can get in a hole smaller than a dime - I would trap them in the car and put traps around the wheels to catch them coming in as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts