SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...... I had some mice. On my dash. Four of them. Three met my shop vac, the other was gathered with a towel and given a new lease on life (because he avoided my foot). I hope he finds the light somewhere else. Or a cat. Preferably a hungry one.

They were coming out of my dash vent; the long one that runs from side to side under the windshield.

I set traps, put peppermint packets through the cabin, all seems clear. But these f***ers stink. It’s getting better by airing it out, but I want it gone.

So, I’m going to start cleaning.

Anyone know how to pop the vent louvers out of the dash? Is that possible? I want to snake some cleaning devices down there.

How do I remove the plastic engine cover? Just pull up? I heard that’s a popular hideout for mice.

I’ll also be cleaning the cowl area and the drains, for the second time in a month (different reasons), so I’m good there. Also going to replace the cabin filter. Any other hot spots I should look into?

Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Lmao at the mice photo! Sorry but that is damn hilarious.

We did talk about this in a thread, I want to say a couple years ago. I used to work at a Toyota dealer and whenever a vehicle came in with a cabin filter that had a mouse house built in it, I just knew it due to the smell.

The mice love the Prius and Camry cabin filter HVAC spot for building a nest. I've also seen them build a nest on the Prius and Camry engine cover by the oil cap. Lol

How to keep the critters out? Don't leave food in the car, or empty food bags, wrappers etc.

Clean out the garage. If youve become a pack rat and have all kinds of items to where there are deep cubby holes and pockets for critters to hide from the winter, I'm not judging, just saying that they will take up shelter and possibly even move into the vehicles.

You can put cayenne pepper down around your garage perimeter. Or some other kinds of crushed powered pepper. Hot peppers.

As for cleaning the system, you may need to get creative with some rubber vacuum line and snake it down in there and then fumegate the system with some sort of aerosol cleaner.

Me, I'm crazy, I'll take apart the whole dash and clean everything if I caught mice like that in my car. I do not want to be breathing their fur and possible droppings. GGRRRRR

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I hear you on the mess. That totally makes sense, but, I’m definitely OCD about my car. Forget trash, I wipe out my cup holders if I bring a coffee into the car. There’s nothing in there for them to eat, food wise. Just shelter. Even my kids know not to make a mess in my car.

I’d be interested in a full clean out, but dash removal sounds like a total long shot. I am the guy who was asking how to remove the vent louvers My thought was to snake something in there and wipe it down topside. I’m sure they didn’t move in that day, but they weren’t in the car for long, based on the physical evidence. Either way, the filter is getting swapped out. I’ll mulch my driveway edging in crushed pepper if that’s what needs to happen.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Good luck with whatever you do. I would probably rig up a spray bottle with a tube I could at least get inside the vents a few inches and spray a 50/50 mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. Not a lot but a little just to ease my mind. There are electronic components in these modern HVAC systems, sensors and motors. So you should be mindful of that. Old school HVAC have maybe one or two sensors and are operated mostly via cables and trap doors.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any insight into vent and/or engine cover removal? I’m hoping to tackle some or all of this over the long weekend. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts