SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently bought a set of Minilite knockoffs from a 240 owner, and I was hoping to put them on my otherwise stock '71 142E. However, the mounting surface on the new wheels is completely flat, with no room for the screws/bolts that are protruding from the 142's hub surface. I've read somewhere that they're just there to make sure the brake rotor doesn't fall off when servicing the brakes, and that it would be safe to just remove them—but before I potentially screw something up in a dangerous way, I wanted to check it one more time. Is it safe to just remove those bolts? If not, are there other ways to fit my new wheels to the 142?

These are the bolts I'm talking about:

Thanks for the help!

Tobias

·
Registered
35 Posts
The small screws or allen head bolts are not needed. They are only used to keep the rotor in place when taking the wheel off. However, when used with the proper bolts or screws they should sit flush with the top face of the rotor hat.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I've removed those screws on many of my cars in the past with no problems.

The two ways to keep the bolts would require machining. Either drill or mill a relief in the back of the wheel to clear the bolt heads, or remove the rotors and counter sink the holes to accept a flat head screw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alright, front wheels got on easily once the screws were removed, but then I bumped into another issue:

The brake disc dust cover plate on the rear wheels seems to be almost exactly the same size as the inner diameter of the new 14" wheel, which means that it unfortunately lightly scrapes on the inside of the wheel. It doesn't seem like the caliper is scraping, but logically I guess it should looking at the geometry of it.

How do I work around this issue? Should I get some small-ish spacers to push the wheel out a little to give clearance between the cover and the rim, or is the project doomed? Are there other ways to get around this?

The wheels are 14x6JJ, 26P offset with P195/65R14 tires on them.

This is the cover I'm talking about:

Thanks again!

Tobias

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I am having an incredibly hard time visualizing how the wheel could contact the dust shield; but, not hit the caliper. Are you absolutely sure about the contact point. If it was just rubbing on the dust shield and you really wanted the wheels, I would suggest that you trim the dust shield edges. You cannot completely eliminate the dust shield on the 140 because it is integral to the operation of the parking brake.

Further to the 'don't understand category', I can't figure out how the wheel would fit on the front and not the back. The 'hat' portion of the rear disc is larger in the back (than the front) because of the parking brake assembly; but, my vague recollection is that this actually moves the mounting surface of the wheel farther away from the plane of the disc so clearance should be better in back? I have to admit that I haven't really checked this and my car is in storage so I am unable to satisfy myself one way or the other as to the fit issue.

I struggle with how a small will spacer could solve the problem; but, if a wheel spacer was the option, you would likely have to look for longer wheel studs.

Update:

I found an old IPD catalogue I have from the mid seventies. It does list a 14 " steel wheel option for the 140 series. The wheel has a 1/2 " negative offset which probably helps with clearance. They did not offer any 14" alloy wheels for the 140 series, only the 240 series. IPD's recommendation at the time was that any wheel spacer greater than 1/4 " should be fitted with longer wheel studs on the 140.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 142 Guy!

I had a closer look in daylight and it turned out that the shield was slightly bent outwards (not sure what the PO did there) and wasn't perfectly round. After a little work I managed to bend it back into shape and it's now clearing the inside of the rim. The brake caliper is uncomfortably close though, I'd say there's probably less than 1mm of clearance, which is a little too tight for my taste. I might just sell the wheels and find something that fits the 142 a little better.

Thanks for the spacer info by the way—that's good to know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts