SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I am currently in the market to replace my exhaust system (downpipe + catback) for my 2012 Volvo C30 T5 R design. After purchasing my vehicle I discovered that the original owner had cut the stock exhaust and welded a downpipe (no cat) onto the stock system. Everything works fine as is (with o2 spacer) but I’m tired of smelling the additional fumes and am ready to replace the whole system.
The two brands/configurations that I’m currently looking at are Mototec’s Sport Edition catback exhaust and Elevate’s GT performance exhaust system... along with each respective downpipe offered by the two brands. I would like to keep the noise at a respectable volume and to have a functioning catalytic converter. I’ve tried comparing each setup through the videos online but I’d like to hear what you guys recommend.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I can only speak to the DP & cat component. On my 2012, I chose to use MotoTec, largely due to the excellent pricing. The fit and quality is very good, and after several years it was still in perfect shape. The exhaust note does change just with those. From there, I made my own 3" catback, retained the Volvo muffler & added a cutout. I didn't want ANY drone in daily driving, hence my choice.

Hopefully others will respond on the rear sections. Drone would be my primary concern, as it can really kill the driving experience.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Mototec, or Ferrita, or basically anything but Elevate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why don't you first get an elevate downpipe with stock exhaust and see if you like it.

I have a mototec touring and it's not real loud and there is no drone but it is boomy at low rpms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d be happy to keep the stock exhaust with an aftermarket cat but the original owner cut and welded a random magnaflow to the stock system so it’s ruined...
Ferrita is another option I haven’t considered.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why don't you first get an elevate downpipe with stock exhaust and see if you like it.
The Elevate downpipe I bought wasn't flanged correctly to mate with the stock exhaust. It was off by a few degrees, which cost me a whole lot of time, effort and money to fix.

Even now I can't recommend the Elevate DP it sits too low. It really was a waste of money.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
I will never recommend elevate for anything.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’d be happy to keep the stock exhaust with an aftermarket cat but the original owner cut and welded a random magnaflow to the stock system so it’s ruined...
Ferrita is another option I haven’t considered.

I had the Ferrita catback system from Viva installed about a month ago.

It has been everything I wanted from an aftermarket system. Commuting and low speed neighborhood driving is stock-quiet. Haven't had super cold-starts yet (since, well, summer) but I'm not too worried. 3 hour road trips have been drone free at 80mph.

Then once you're cruising and get above ~3k RPM with a heavy foot, the system completely changes and opens way up. I'm burning through fuel tanks like there's no tomorrow because I'm just goosing it at every opportunity.

Plus - the tips are gorgeous and Viva was selling them for 50% off so they're in line with the Mototec system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm running the MotoTech catted DP with the stock exhaust on mine. NO additional noise that I can tell, I think I can hear the turbo spool a bit more but that may be due to the other mods I did at the same time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ATP turbo offers a nice unit as well. You can choose catted/catless.
To me most important is the extra bung for tuning/afr etc. is already
installed. Uses vbands and has great weld quality.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Elevate cat back. Excellent quality and get complements on the exhaust note
at least once a month.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As far as noise...are you referring to in cabin noise or noise that the public will
hear? Cabin=equals drone until you get on it then the acoustics change and quiet
at speed. This is not going to produce that "RICER" fart can loud racket. Low throaty
rumble at idle and that sweet sound everyone likes when you get on it. Not a head turning,
cops staring, anoying the neighbor roar.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't use the o2 spacer for after cat if you do emissions. A visual will/if they
look give you a fail. Your better off paying someone like Hilton to tune it out of
the system. No more check engine light either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the elevate/kpax/borla catback exhaust on my 2014 xc60 rd. Pros: great sound at idle, even greater sound on the pedal. Cons; a LOT of drone at 2000 rpm (daily driving) and cold start up was very loud. The drone eventually made me uninstall it. Now i'm looking for another :(

·
Registered
296 Posts
Again, depends on your goals. Every time you choose performance, you are going to give up luxury. Of course there is an in between. Do you want people to look and say....wow was that a Volvo, or are you happy driving an unnoticeable car?

It’s that simple, really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is no such thing as a quiet performance car. Unless of course, you want an all electric job.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your right, race tracks, drag strips, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. they’re all pretty quiet. Even being side by side with Aston Martin or Maserati on the autobahn didn’t even know they were there.

Same reason akropovic exhaust systems have an electronic switch from baffled to no baffle or straight pipe, back pressure from sound deadening devices, catalytic converters etc must be great for power and performance......the first part of your reply was probably the most accurate part of your reply.

Good luck.

When I’m not driving the Volvo......
IMG_3297.mov

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the mototec and downpipe. I ordered the sport, but I believe I got sent a touring instead. It's not loud and hardly noticeable. I would have liked a little more sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts