SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Saturday, Nov 7, 2015 broadcast will road test the XC90 (I assume the T6) and the new Volt.

See pbs.org/motorweek

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good to know - thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
837 Posts
They really seem to love it. Not sure how they came up with that 0-60 time, though. The car is quick for it's size and weight, but there is no way it does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.
Well, I consider Car and Driver's testing to be gospel when it comes to testing and they got 6.4 seconds. One thing that it important to understand is that most folks don;t HAMMER it from a stop and hang out every gear. Most transmissions are tuned for economy these days and cars are forever in a higher gear than is ideal for acceleration - this is actually something I dislike about my wife's XC60 and loved about my old Chevy Volt (the latter had a one speed transmission). You can crutch this behavior with a high torque engine (like our T6 R-Design), or lots of gears...the former makes for a more pleasant driving experience IMO.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-volvo-xc90-t6-awd-inscription-test-review

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, I consider Car and Driver's testing to be gospel when it comes to testing and they got 6.4 seconds. One thing that it important to understand is that most folks don;t HAMMER it from a stop and hang out every gear. Most transmissions are tuned for economy these days and cars are forever in a higher gear than is ideal for acceleration - this is actually something I dislike about my wife's XC60 and loved about my old Chevy Volt (the latter had a one speed transmission). You can crutch this behavior with a high torque engine (like our T6 R-Design), or lots of gears...the former makes for a more pleasant driving experience IMO.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-volvo-xc90-t6-awd-inscription-test-review
That and it's knowing how to get the most out of a Turbo - and depending on throttle mapping (since it's e-throttle) it may not be by hammering it from a stand still. Then again Dynamic mode may roll the throttle on for optimal acceleration from a stop.

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't recall what the devices are called, but they actually use devices on the exterior and or interior that allows them to determine the 0-60 time. The 6.4/6.5 second is pretty accurate. I believe even MT (MotorTrend) also got something similar. The XC90 has the "engine that could". The 4 cylinder has a lot more power than they give it credit for and with the addition of the Polestar tuning....I would be interested to see if that gives the XC90 a run time even faster for the 0-60 sprint.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The car feels quick to me, but I didn't realize it was that quick. 6.4 seconds is very respectable.
It is! I remember when they tested our 2002 X5 4.4i (282 HP) it was very fast back in the day 0-60 mph 6.6 | Quarter mile 15.0 :D

I can't wait to see the T8 numbers!

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
To get the best acceleration out of an automatic the car magazines typically will -

Stand hard on the brake pedal then floor the gas pedal. When the revs hit around
3,000 RPM then take your foot off the brake pedal and you're off!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I watched the Motorweek review. They seemed to think very highly of the new XC90.
My only wish is that the review had been longer and was more in depth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was this the "quick spin" review or is this a new longer review? The only thing i can find is the wuick spin which i seen months ago

1 - 17 of 17 Posts