SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The show "Motorweek" is having a long-term wrap-up of the S60 on May 17th. This show is usually found on your local PBS network.<P>Mark your calendars!<P>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The Puff,<P>So, you should be getting your car around Monday right? I can't wait to see what it looks like with 17-inch Almathea wheels, because I have never seen those on an S60 before. Should look great!<P>BTW, Motorweek can also be seen on SpeedVision.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you get the Alamatha wheels from the factory as an option instead of the Tethys?<BR>I am finalizing payment for my Volvo now and would prefer an alternative to the Tethys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,<P>The Almathea's are a direct option now for the S60 with 17" wheels.<P>In fact, if you go to volvocars.com (USA site) they have it listed as an option when to build your car.<P>Drew, I actually won't get it home until Wednesday or Thursday because the dealer said they need a couple of days to add accessories. Also, the closest dealer to me is 300 miles away.<P>When I do get it, I will definitely take pictures and post them.<P>

·
Registered
187 Posts
Regarding wheels: what about some of the options available on the C70? I think the Canisto wheels would look very good on the S60. Plus, they look a lot easier to clean than the Tethys or Almathea.<P>I got the Tethys, and am satisfied. I think the Canisto would be my next choice. They all actually look pretty good!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PK,<P>I too like the Canisto's but unfortunately it is a moot point since they are unavailable for the S60. Maybe someday Volvo will allow you to swap wheels between all models.<P>I think wheels with less spokes look the most sporty; hence the reason I did not care for the Tethys as much.<P>

·
Registered
187 Posts
Puff,<P>Yeah, that's what my nephew says too. Maybe I'm getting old (I'm 35), but I think the Tethys looks classy. Besides, the S60 isn't really a sports car. I wouldn't go for anything radically sporty on this type of car.<P>I agree that your Almathea wheels should look great on the S60. Please post pictures of your car when you get it. Also, let us know what you think of the reverse radar.<P>By the way, my T5 just arrived at the port today! (I got mine through the overseas delivery program--TDS). I still probably have to wait another week or so until I get it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my S60 just came in and is awaiting pre-inspection. I plan to pick it up on Wednesday...now all I have to do is find a ride to Colorado to get it!!!<P>Pictures to come shortly.<P>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally have it...picked it up admist a major thunderstorm in Fort Collins, Colorado.<P>First impression...better than expected.<P>No inherent problems found yet.<P>Pictures to come later today!!!<P>

·
Registered
30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Puff:<BR><B>PK,<P><BR>...I think wheels with less spokes look the most sporty; hence the reason I did not care for the Tethys as much.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Absolutely correct! Somehow seeing the brake discs, calipers, etc., connotes more sportiness. Someone else in a post following yours said perhaps he was getting old (at only 35!) and attributed his preference for Tethys wheels to that fact. Well, I'm older than that, but if fewer-spokes is the youthful point of view, count me in! To my taste, a fussy, overdone look is more typically associated with age than with clean, elegant, visual understatement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hwhelply:<BR>[BTo my taste, a fussy, overdone look is more typically associated with age than with clean, elegant, visual understatement.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't see where you get that the Tethys is "fussy" or "overdone". If anything, I think they look classic (which explains my reference to age). <P>I agree with Puff that the Almatheas are great looking wheels. I don't necessarily think they are that much sportier though, and certainly don't think they are more "elegant" as you put it. I actually like the Canisto (C70) wheels the best--which are 5 spoke wheels. To me they are sportier than either of the above, but still look appropriate for a sedan like the S60.<P>Like you said, it's a matter of taste! <P>

·
Registered
30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PK:<BR><B> I don't see where you get that the Tethys is "fussy" or "overdone"... <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Very simple: 17 (count'em!) spokes!???!! If that isn't fussy and overdone, the only better example I can think of is the wheels I saw recently on a new S80, with a sort of "lacey" look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think a good analogy to the fussiness is when I clean my motorcycles' wheels.<P>My Harley has something like 72 wire spokes whereas my Ducati has only 3 mag-type spokes.<P>Guess which one is harder to clean and takes more time when you are truly detailing the vehicle?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts