SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I have posted this here before, so sorry if it's a duplicate...<P>MotorTrend television has been playing a shootout between the Volvo S60 AWD and the Audi A4 3.0Q.<P>It's a good 8 to 10 minute review and it's fun to see these cars doing their thing in the snow and ice.<P>If you have Tivo, try to catch the next showing, hopefully it will still be the same show. BTW, It's on TNN I think.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So what were their conclusions?<P>I've driven both. The A4 is a very tight machine and drives very well. The S60 is a little softer. I'm not sure why but I felt the demo I drove with 16's had a loose on center feel but I find totally the opposite with my 17's. It feels totally dialed in.<P>Pat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you comment on the 17's, it seems very well rounded.<P>As for MTTV, they felt the the A4 was the winner. The only real numbers they ran were 0 to 60 and braking distance. The A4 won both, but I can't remember by how much (not too much).<P>The updside for the Volvo? 4K less than the A4 as tested. They felt it had better designing and felt sure it would exceed the A4 in reliability and safety.<P>What would have made the Volvo a winner?<BR>They stated the following shortcomings:<BR>- No manual transmission (specifically desiring that the spaceball be added)<BR>- More HP (mentioning the T5)<BR>- A "more permanent all wheel drive system" citing the difference between Haldex and the A4's system (Torsen?)<P>I personally feel they did not understand the Haldex all that well due to comments that "it doesn't affect the drivability positively or negatively". Not to take their comments out of context, but I think the Haldex system is merely different than Torsen and offers advantages other systems do not.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_Burnz:<BR><B><BR>I personally feel they did not understand the Haldex all that well due to comments that...I think the Haldex system is merely different than Torsen and offers advantages other systems do not.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree with you, it takes a really good understanding of every aspect of Haldex to see how it shines, and even for those who just want AWD without knowing about its technical merits, they should be extremely pleased IMHO.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with you guys, they are off base on the Haldex. Even my friend who owns an A4 wishes it had the Haldex system.<P>I believe the A4 with the Tiptronic is slightly faster than the S60 AWD and the stopping distances are very close and both are impressive.<P>I chose the S60 over the A4 because of its bigger interior and the price premium on the A4 and I'm very happy about it.<P>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iceman:<BR><B>I agree with you guys, they are off base on the Haldex. Even my friend who owns an A4 wishes it had the Haldex system.<P>I believe the A4 with the Tiptronic is slightly faster than the S60 AWD and the stopping distances are very close and both are impressive.<P>I chose the S60 over the A4 because of its bigger interior and the price premium on the A4 and I'm very happy about it.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I am sure that if one were to do an OSD on the S60 AWD, the $4K spread between the Audi would be far larger.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C 70 Convertible OSD:<BR><B> <BR>I am sure that if one were to do an OSD on the S60 AWD, the $4K spread between the Audi would be far larger.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>A fully loaded S60AWD (w/ Touring, Premium, COld Weather packages plus 17" Thor alloys and metallic paint) is about $34,500 (compared to an MSRP of $37,200) from stock. That will definitely widen the gap with an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with Premium, Sport Packages and Tiptronic.<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> fully loaded S60AWD (w/ Touring, Premium, COld Weather packages plus 17" Thor alloys and metallic paint) is about $34,500 (compared to an MSRP of $37,200) from stock.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Really? What you described is what I bought but I added the AudioMax HU-803 stereo and fog lights. The $34,500 (converted to Canadian dollars) is way more than the MSRP in Canada with the Audiomax and driving lights. I basically paid $31,000 USD for what I described above. Whoops, and I forgot to add that I have DTSC as well.<P>Pat<P>[This message has been edited by Iceman (edited 03-02-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by Iceman (edited 03-02-2002).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Eh gads...I am getting ready to purchase an S60 exactly as you have below and I am only getting $800 off the retail. The salesman argued that these cars are selling well and this is the best he could do. I am right up the road from you in Harrisburg, so I can't imagine prices are that different. Help...am I getting he shaft?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> <BR>A fully loaded S60AWD (w/ Touring, Premium, COld Weather packages plus 17" Thor alloys and metallic paint) is about $34,500 (compared to an MSRP of $37,200) from stock. That will definitely widen the gap with an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with Premium, Sport Packages and Tiptronic.<P>Yannis<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kents60:<BR><B>Eh gads...I am getting ready to purchase an S60 exactly as you have below and I am only getting $800 off the retail. The salesman argued that these cars are selling well and this is the best he could do. I am right up the road from you in Harrisburg, so I can't imagine prices are that different. Help...am I getting he shaft?<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You most certainly are!<P>See:<BR> <A HREF="http://new.volvocars.com/overseas/osd_s60_specs.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://new.volvocars.com/overseas/osd_s60_specs.shtml</A> <P><BR>

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kents60:<BR><B>Eh gads...I am getting ready to purchase an S60 exactly as you have below and I am only getting $800 off the retail. The salesman argued that these cars are selling well and this is the best he could do. I am right up the road from you in Harrisburg, so I can't imagine prices are that different. Help...am I getting he shaft?<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Give me either a call or e-mail me so I can go over the details with you.<P>Yannis<P><P>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts